Newbie...$70 in pennies I believe average finds

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok, so I am a newbie and have been reading up on the site for the past few days and was wondering why I couldn't post threads. Well...stupid me didn't confirm his email. Anyways, I'm 16 years old, I've always loved coins ever since I was a little child and just found out about this hobby and have been having a blast. My parents think it is pointless, but oh well. So over the past 3 days I have purchased $65 in customer rolls from USBANK, my main branch and I've done decent overall, I believe about average. I have found 35 wheats, oldest being 1920 (rough shape), and I had a VF 1957d. I just ordered my first box from the bank and actually I've been picking up stuff for my parents when I go to pick up more rolls. So I've been spending them. I've only dumped like $20 at 2 different huntington's. Anyways sorry for long thread just thought I would introduce myself. Is it ok if I post goals on here for the year? I'll try to go through $100 a week. May move on to nickels once I get more $$$. I'm not rich afterall. Question for the people who have been doing this. It is better to get customer rolls than brinks rolls right?

35/1000 Wheats
0/1 1909 V.D.B (Doubtful)
0/2 Indian Heads

Pennies.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
P.S. I also have been saving the copper just to turn a profit on ebay after fees shipping and everything looks like I can make $30 on the $100. Hey, it's money and then I don't need to dump as much. 8-)

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with the pennies. Just remember, cents are a gateway coin. You'll be doing the hard stuff before you even know what hit you.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, and may the force be with you.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice start - always look at change you never know!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Cents are usually pretty good. If you can find bags, do bags, they've produced better than boxes in my experience, but boxes have been pretty good. A good indicator is if you can check the magnet, look for a large amount of steel pennies on there. I got a collection dump of cents once, got me ~$10 face in wheats along with a couple of IHs.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Thanks for the info! Do you know if any of the banks around me, Chase, First Merit, USBANK, Charter One, Huntington, or PNC, could order me the $50 bags on a weekly bases, possibly 2 a week?

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can read a book all day on how to shoot a man with an M-16 from 150 yards away. But until youre in the situation, youll never know if you can. Some banks will, most wont. Start by getting yourself into the situation, youll get 17 different opinions on what you should do. Amazing how fast you learn when youre in the thick of it.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info! Do you know if any of the banks around me, Chase, First Merit, USBANK, Charter One, Huntington, or PNC, could order me the $50 bags on a weekly bases, possibly 2 a week?

It just depends. Myself I rarely use the "big banks" except for a few teller trays now and then. I use mostly local banks/credit unions and they've been pretty accommodating as far as it is for bags, the worst problem I've run into is they're not sure how to put it into their computer because when the bag fills it is usually in limbo (taken out of the counter and not yet sold to the vault) and so sometimes they simply don't know how to sell it to me. I've never had a single banks say no as a matter of "policy". Granted, the biggest downside to this is it is hard to dump boxes and boxes of coin, but other than that they've all been a whole lot friendlier to work with both with the CRH hobby and as a general bank.

Plus, most bags don't get ordered, most bags come off of the counter. I know at my main bank they go through a good amount of change a week and fill multiple bags of every denomination except for small dollars (large dollars won't go through their counter) and halves (I'm really the only one that dumps halves). However, smaller branches of big banks might not fill a bag for weeks or months at a time.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Thanks for the info again! I'll go asking around after I pick up my pennies today. And I thought I found a Canadian coin but apparently it was a 1943 king george sixpence coin. I guess that's an uncommon coin for coin roll hunters?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info again! I'll go asking around after I pick up my pennies today. And I thought I found a Canadian coin but apparently it was a 1943 king george sixpence coin. I guess that's an uncommon coin for coin roll hunters?

Quite! What country is it from? Chances are it is silver!

Depending on the country will determine the silver content. If it is British, it is 50% silver, and I believe if it is Australian it is sterling (92.5% silver).

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Does it look like this (92.5%):

australia_6_pence_1943.jpg

Like this (80%):
$%28KGrHqVHJCME63%285Ety5BO174Y5v7g%7E%7E60_35.JPG

Like this (50%):

1943%20New%20Zealand%206%20Pence%20copy.jpg

Or like this (50%):

535309663_tp.jpg

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
It looks like the last one matter of fact it is the 1943 one too. Sorry for late response just got pack from picking up $45 worth about to go through them.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like the last one matter of fact it is the 1943 one too. Sorry for late response just got pack from picking up $45 worth about to go through them.

Congrats then, its quite unusual to find silver from penny hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread