Newbie Ace 250 user needs help

patrick

Feb 6, 2007
>:( I just got my ace 250 and it has been fun, but extremely frustrating. Yesterday, I was out for nearly two hours at the beach (off Lake St. Claire). I had plenty of hits but there was a single beep on the first pass and then I couldn't get another contact when I swung back, even when I went 360 degrees around where I thought the hit was. This happened throughout my time there, I dug, and dug, and dug.....but nothing turned up, not tabs, not bottlecaps and not coins. I tried everything I could think of to pinpoint the hit (sensitivity, mode, pinpointing, etc) but each time it was the same. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong or what I might do to use it more effectively? Thanks
Patrick

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you dont get a beep in both directions, dont dig it. It is probably a false signal.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
And make sure you keep the coil flat and level to the ground, especially at the end of the swings. varying the distance form the ground can confuse the detector.

BTW in pinpoint mode the detector is in all metal. The sens and mode only work when the pinpoint button isn’t depressed.

OP
OP
P

patrick

Feb 6, 2007
Thanks guys........Its a real help to have this site so newcomers to the field like myself get the benefit of your experience

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What mode are you running in? Occasionally when in a park or something while running in coin mode, I will get hits and when I go back over the area, I get nothing but the target will register on the machine but not make a tone due to the descrimination. I have also found that swinging the detector too fast will give misreadings on the first pass. As mentioned earlier, dig only solid hits, or repeatable tones. Also owning a new machine doesn't help. It takes a whole lot of practice to get to know what your machine is telling you. I have owned mine for almost 4 months and I am very used to it, can pinpoint well, and have dug alot of coins, but I still learn every time I take it out. Try running on relic mode or jewelry mode, which will descrim out very little and run your sensitivity on about 4 bars. Try that and see what happends. The only way to learn is too keep swinging and digging, see learn your machine, and don't expect miracles your 1st week using it. Most of all, don't get discouraged or frustrated, good finds will come.

OP
OP
P

patrick

Feb 6, 2007
I have tried the "all metal mode", as well as "coin" and "jewelry" modes. I also dropped the sensitivity down to three and then four to see if there was any difference. I've tried to keep the big coil flat and not swing too fast. I do have the smaller coil but haven't used it yet. Do you think it would be better?
Patrick

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
As far as falsing or one sided reports the coil size really didn’t make a difference to me. The smaller the coil the less trash you hit, and the shallower the depth will be. The smaller coil really shines in trashy areas because you can pick a good target from between trash with it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sounds like maybe your machine was falsing a little. try backing your sensativity down a notch and see if that helps. occasionally a tone that only rings in on one direction of your sweep can mean a very deep target, but it will always be a repeatable one direction tone. if you are getting a one direction tone that only happens once and you cant get the same tone again, your machine is probably falsing.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
patrick said:
What do you mean by "falsing"?

that means that the machine is giving you a false signal when there really isnt anything there. it happens to all detectors from time to time. usually it can be fixed by lowering the sensativity a notch or two until it goes away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread