Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask for a box of dimes, that's the next best thing. While you are there at the bank, ask the teller if they have any big dollar coins. Usually it will be ike dollars, but hey you never know...

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea should I pick the Ike's up? They had some

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah why not? There are 40% silver ikes, gotta look for the S mint mark. If you don't find any, spend them just like you would a normal dollar. Watching cashiers surprised faces gives me a kick lol.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, ask them if they happen to have any Morgans or Peace dollars. They might also have some loose American Silver Eagles or you might get lucky and pick a Double Eagle out of the teller's tray.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, ask them if they happen to have any Morgans or Peace dollars. They might also have some loose American Silver Eagles or you might get lucky and pick a Double Eagle out of the teller's tray.

This was obviously just meant as sarcasm. Just ask for large dollars.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys think I should order a box of halves when they don't have any in store? Sorry I'm confused on what to do haha. Has anyone actually ever found Morgan's or liberties for fv at banks???

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you start ordering boxes, make sure you have a good plan (and a backup plan or two) to get rid of the rejects. Banks sometimes grow tired of you very quickly when you start showing up weekly with $500+ worth of halves to dump.

Although never by me, true silver dollars and silver eagles have been found for face value. Its rare, but it happens.

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend gotta morgan for fv, but he was working as a teller... Lol so yeah it could happen, you just have to be lucky. Just need to be at the right place and at the right time.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I did get a peace dollar for $1 one time. It was pretty cool. never found a silver Ike.

If the bank will order you boxes I'd jump on it. I still have not found a new order bank unfortunately.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys think I should order a box of halves when they don't have any in store? Sorry I'm confused on what to do haha. Has anyone actually ever found Morgan's or liberties for fv at banks???

You are confused what to do still. Don't order a box of halves yet. I'd start with something smaller and more "normal" for a bank to carry, like nickels or dimes. Then you can find a different bank (not branch, an entirely different banking company) to dump at. Make sure your system works first. Never pick up and dump at the same branch.

Build a relationship before trying to order a box of halves. Start with smaller orders and work your way up.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are confused what to do still. Don't order a box of halves yet. I'd start with something smaller and more "normal" for a bank to carry, like nickels or dimes. Then you can find a different bank (not branch, an entirely different banking company) to dump at. Make sure your system works first. Never pick up and dump at the same branch.

Build a relationship before trying to order a box of halves. Start with smaller orders and work your way up.
No I'm not too confused anymore I've got the hang of it. Most of the dump banks are happy to take what I have only if I have an account there. I'm going to order a box soon here since most of the loose rolls have been picked clean. Some banks won't give me any halves at all and get mad when I ask if I don't have an account with them like UniBank. I've got 4 banks on the look out for me for anything pre-65 in coins and pre-70 in halves so that's cool

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I'm not too confused anymore I've got the hang of it. Most of the dump banks are happy to take what I have only if I have an account there. I'm going to order a box soon here since most of the loose rolls have been picked clean. Some banks won't give me any halves at all and get mad when I ask if I don't have an account with them like UniBank. I've got 4 banks on the look out for me for anything pre-65 in coins and pre-70 in halves so that's cool
You want the 1970s also.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois

I strongly advise against having tellers be on the lookout for you for particular dates. Most of the time they go home and research why you want those dates, and then they become picking tellers. Just get any halves they have any any "old or odd" coins they come across, take them all and cash in the ones you don't want.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I pick up boxes of dimes from my dump banks all of the time. Since I deposit bags for instant cash, I'll throw my bag of coins into the vault and then ask if they could give me a box of dimes as part of the transaction. So, while I'd say following that advice is absolutely a good idea 99% of the time, there are exceptions. I guess it really just depends on the relationship you have with the bank.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread