Newbie and 2 kids visiting CO

wendysox

Greenie
Jan 25, 2008
I have been reading through many posts and some of the info is not so recent. Was looking for any advice. Me and two teens. (girls: 13 & 15) coming to Colorado for a week from March 30th- April 8th. We are staying 2 days in Denver and then the rest of the time in Silverthorne. The girls are competing with their snowboards at Copper Mountain. But we have a couple free days. We might visit Leadville to go to the prospecting Museum.

Last year, we visited the Argo mine and bought 2 pans. We also have bought a Gold Rush Nugget Bucket. We have watched many videos.

I have read about Cache Creek, Fairplay, and even some places near Denver.

Does anyone have some good advice for what our best bet might be.

Also....off topic: Does anyone have any horseback riding suggestions?

Thanks, Aunt Wendy

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Given your timing, it'll be too early for mountain prospecting I think. Instead do your prospecting in metro Denver. You can read about several sites on my blog at www.findinggoldincolorado.com

The equipment you have will serve you well :)

Be sure to bring shovels and buckets for all :)

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kevin I ahve enjoyed read ing your blog about Colorado .

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been reading through many posts and some of the info is not so recent. Was looking for any advice. Me and two teens. (girls: 13 & 15) coming to Colorado for a week from March 30th- April 8th. We are staying 2 days in Denver and then the rest of the time in Silverthorne. The girls are competing with their snowboards at Copper Mountain. But we have a couple free days. We might visit Leadville to go to the prospecting Museum.

Last year, we visited the Argo mine and bought 2 pans. We also have bought a Gold Rush Nugget Bucket. We have watched many videos.

I have read about Cache Creek, Fairplay, and even some places near Denver.

Does anyone have some good advice for what our best bet might be.

Also....off topic: Does anyone have any horseback riding suggestions?

Thanks, Aunt Wendy

KevinInColorado is right; stay in metro Denver to pan or sluice. I would see the National Mining Museum in Leadville and probably the Matchless Mine also (which is a few bucks more when you get the ticket to the Museum. Partly that depends of the depth of interest of your girls.

I don't know about horses much here, but the Air Force Academy Stables has rentals with rides into the Pike National Forest. You may have to have a military connection to use the facilities; I don't know. You could also visit the Air Force Academy Chapel and Visitors Center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread