OP
OP
O

onemississipp

Dec 20, 2006
Tupelo, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Here is one I came up with a old town called Cotton Gin Port..

"The old Mayfield Hotel was one of the last of the Cotton Gin Port buildings to be torn down. The building was torn down in the 1950s, and a cache of Confederate money was discovered hidden in the walls. "

Just a little to late.

Site may still have something...

OP
OP
O

onemississipp

Dec 20, 2006
Tupelo, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
turns out this site is a historic site, so I guess it is off limits, but I'm coming up with a couple more leads...

insider

Greenie
Jan 16, 2007
Sounds good, PM, or e-mail me with something good. I just learned of a very good lead in 'Bama, and a link to a good gold sight.

J

joseph

Mississippi treasures waiting to be found
Near the old Gore mansion in Calhoun City valuable treasure was hidden in the earth.
Bandit James Copeland is said to have hidden gold coins in coastal areas in the 1840s and 1850s.
Pirate Patrick Scott is said to have buried some treasure in the early nineteenth century near Ocean Springs, Jackson County.
A treasure of gold coins may have been buried at Beaux Bridge in St. Martin's Parish in the early nineteenth century by the slaves of Narcisse Thibodeaux.
The Pirate's House near Bay St. Louis is said to offer obvious possibilities including the finding of underground tunnels facilitating the clandestine transfer of gold and silver from shore to the house.
The treasure of merchant Gaines is said to have been hidden in Greene County, and although quite a bit of it was recovered in the late nineteenth century, much remains undiscovered
Just before the Civil War the Pickett family buried its fortune near the edge of Vicksburg.
Two kegs of gold are said to have been buried near Greenwood in 1865 by robbers.
At Mathiston in Choctaw County many buried gold coins are supposedly waiting to be found.
Joe Hare, a bandit who once operated in the area, may have buried his treasure in Fayette, Jefferson County.
At Pass Christian in Harrison County the old oak tree beneath which Captain Dane is supposed to have buried $200,000 may not still be there, but the treasure near it has never been discovered. The money, in Spanish-American gold coins, belonged to a lady passenger of the Nightingale, who in the aftermath of a love triangle, was locked in a cabin when the ship sank. Great material for a novel, it would seem!
The Copeland gang looted the Bay St. Louis area in the early nineteenth century and buried their treasure in Catahoula Swamp.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, & happy hunting, Fossis................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread