Newbie at 77, please review this starting kit!

drd777

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Sun City Center FL
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, my son got into MD and wants me to join him. I've been reading this forum and others, as well as checking out all the Manufacturers.

Here are my limitations: MDer must be light, don't want to be on my knees to long looking or digging.

Started off really liking the F2 because its light and reasonable and for $215 came with a 4" coil, a Fisher Pinpointer,and a bag of goodies. Then I read negative comments on the PP and wondered if all those bargain diggers, bags, etc were really value added.

Then I wondered if I really needed the screen; if I located a 5, 10,25, or 50 cent piece wouldn't I dig anyway?

I am finally thinking of : Tesoro Compadre - thought about the Silver umax but for a $100 more?

Garrett Pro Pointer- Spent saved $100 on this, won't spend as much time on knees - looking

Sampson 31" Shovel - Don't think one of those hand diggers would do it.

Even at that Compadre+Garrett PP+Sampson is $160+123+59 = $343 seems a lot for a basic kit. Or is it?

What else would I need for parks and dry sand? I have headphones.

Upvote 0

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear the F2 is good though I've only have experience the the Garrett Ace 250. I believe they are relatively comparable. Having a screen would help identify if your target is worth digging or not. The teroso's, are good as well abet less technical and rely mostly on sound variations. All are about in the same price range and their stock coils should suffice for just starting out. This is just my opinion.
Welcome to Tnet and happy hunting

Jay

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For sand some kind of siffter to shake the sand away from the target as you dig. After that, practice very hard with known targets until you know what the detector is telling you. It is hateful to miss targets for lack of experience. Then have fun. Happy Hunting.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Tesoso Cibola and it rocks. Just over 2 pounds, easy on the arthritis. If you go to the beach get a long handled sand scoop and you never have to bend down.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt suggest a garrett ace ive been hunting with 1 my first year and its just not a good unit ...and the tesoro's i really didnt care for them much because each target has to be scanned and then you gotta turn a nob and scan it again and turn the nob scan some more ....atleast with a vdi you can leave nickels in and pull tabs out and not have to hear the same tone on every target...have you thought about starting out with a good used unit instead of new?

donb0078

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
atm, whites sl II classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok heres what i've found...the screens you can make from simple hardware cloth i hunt for gem material so mine go down as far as 1/8" but for regular dirt you may want to go larger since i use water when it's avaliable. the better metal detectors will be discriminating my MD is a whites sxl II or something like that (pretty old too) and i wish i had spent more b/c it will reduce the amount of junk you dig such as pull tabs and steel, even foil will be picked up with the cheaper ones. you buy a pinto and want a cadalliac you get the pinto like i did...good luck hunting :)

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
drd777: The Tesoro Compadre, Garrett Pro Pinpointer, and Sampson digger are a power trio. It will be a little extra investment, but you will be starting with the best!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
What does your son recommend? They are all good, you just gotta get one and get going. Fishers are good and light, but all brands make good light inexpensive tecters, check the specs of each machine for the actual weight. Good luck drd77 and welcome to treasurenet.

OP
OP
D

drd777

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Sun City Center FL
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the input. I did look for used but it seems they sell pretty close to what you can buy them for. Some may need to save the $50, but I worried about getting a lemon or no warrantee. Do the less expensive, say up to $200, screen type MD's, like the F2 really discriminate between bottle caps and nickels? The Compadre is only $160, I figure if I don't like it I can get $120 on ebay? Same with the Pro Pointer, I see used ones for $100, if you can find one. May have to eat the shovel, maybe not. I'll get one of those sand scoops or maybe steal the wife's colander.

Oh, my son wanted me to get Garrett AT Pro or Tesoro Gold umax which of course would have increase my total $ by 100%, I don't know yet how often I'll be MT,ing. If I get into it, I can upgrade only the MD later.

Last edited:

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You are going to be on your knees a lot no matter what detector you use - since you will need to dig a lot of things (even with a meter on the detector, you will find some trash indications could be valuable targets and visa-versa) - while you are learning, you should dig most everything, until you learn what your detector is telling you. You might want to get knee pads (I use them at many sites).

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the input. I did look for used but it seems they sell pretty close to what you can buy them for. Some may need to save the $50, but I worried about getting a lemon or no warrantee. Do the less expensive, say up to $200, screen type MD's, like the F2 really discriminate between bottle caps and nickels? The Compadre is only $160, I figure if I don't like it I can get $120 on ebay? Same with the Pro Pointer, I see used ones for $100, if you can find one. May have to eat the shovel, maybe not. I'll get one of those sand scoops or maybe steal the wife's colander.

Oh, my son wanted me to get Garrett AT Pro or Tesoro Gold umax which of course would have increase my total $ by 100%, I don't know yet how often I'll be MT,ing. If I get into it, I can upgrade only the MD later.

You can get a new pro pointer for around 112.00 .....I have the ace 250..its ok

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drd777, first off, welcome to T-Net.

You may come to find that I am not one to mince words, and I can be blunt at times :tongue3: With that being said, let me set you straight on a few things.

1- pick the detector you like and are comfortable with. (many have success with the 250, as well as others, but in the end it's your choice.

2- Pin pointer. Save your money. Most machines have a built in pin pointer in them already. Before you know it they'll be selling a micro pin pointer to further zero in on a target your pin pointer and machine already identified. :laughing7: What will it save you anyway, a few seconds of hunting :icon_scratch:

3- If you already have it set that you will be uncomfortable detecting on hard land, then stick to the beaches :icon_thumright:

4- Don't spend much period, this may not be the hobby for you. Try pool, or golf :icon_thumleft:

I would hate to see anyone invest a dime in a hobby they will not be happy in and that is sound advice, coming from a lunatic :laughing7:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, my son got into MD and wants me to join him. I've been reading this forum and others, as well as checking out all the Manufacturers.

Here are my limitations: MDer must be light, don't want to be on my knees to long looking or digging.

Started off really liking the F2 because its light and reasonable and for $215 came with a 4" coil, a Fisher Pinpointer,and a bag of goodies. Then I read negative comments on the PP and wondered if all those bargain diggers, bags, etc were really value added.

Then I wondered if I really needed the screen; if I located a 5, 10,25, or 50 cent piece wouldn't I dig anyway?

I am finally thinking of : Tesoro Compadre - thought about the Silver umax but for a $100 more?

Garrett Pro Pointer- Spent saved $100 on this, won't spend as much time on knees - looking

Sampson 31" Shovel - Don't think one of those hand diggers would do it.

Even at that Compadre+Garrett PP+Sampson is $160+123+59 = $343 seems a lot for a basic kit. Or is it?

What else would I need for parks and dry sand? I have headphones.

I highly recommend the pin pointer. .yes, you can use your machine to pinpoint and I do this as well....but unless you want to spent extra time on your knees I would STRONGLY suggest you get one...I am not alone n that one, check some of the other threads to verify.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want to be on your knees, you're probably only looking for surface stuff. Any cheap, light detector will do that. If you search sand, get a long handled scoop. If it were me, I'd get a detector with a meter that will show me probable target and depth. That way you can avoid the deep targets (that I can find later!) and the junk stuff that you can just ignore. I'd stay with the major brands so parts, repairs, and accessories are easily available.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro detectors are made in the USA and come with a lifetime warranty (nontransferable and be sure to send in the card within 10 days of purchase). They also tend to not need the warranty more than most other brands. If another company doesn't provide a lifetime warranty, then there's probably a reason. Fisher and Garrett make some decent detectors for cheap, but none of them have a lifetime warranty!

As to the pinpointer, many people consider them indispensable. I've read stories from people who drove 20 miles to a particular site, realised they forgot their pinpointer, then drove home and back to the site (an extra 40 miles) just to get the pinpointer. From my own experience, I can't blame them. If I forgot my pinpointer, detecting just wouldn't be as much fun without it.

When I first got my Tesoro MicroMax Silver (first machine), I didn't get the pinpointer right away. Because I didn't have one, I developed a process of estimating depth, starting the hole, and then laying the big detector's coil uncomfortably close to the hole. That way, I could use a plastic trowel and double-wave each scoop of soil as I brought it up. The only other option was to actually pick up the big machine while kneeling (or stand up and squat down a whole bunch of extra times) to swing over the hole again. Standard-sized detectors are made for sweeping larger areas. Pinpointers are made for working in the hole. There is no 8 inch coil on Earth that will ever pinpoint as well as a 1/4 inch coil in a dedicated pinpointer. It's a simple matter of data resolution. The big coil is just too much for working in a small hole.

So, what can a pinpointer do for you? Here's what:
1. With the Garrett Pro Pinpointer, you can lay it on its side and sweep about 3 inches at a time.
2. You can use its nose for pinpointing at the same distance with a thinner field.
3. You can use it to tell you which side of a hole bears a target.
4. It will decrease your time on small, near-surface objects to less than half.
5. It will decrease the average time you spend on any given hole.
6. It will decrease the average size of your holes, saving work and some grass.
7. Because you save time digging, you spend more time swinging on new objects.
8. You can exploit the auto-threshold when the unit activates to decrease sensitivity.
(sometimes incorrectly called "detuning")
9. You can use a large, metal object to over-charge the field to increase sensitivity.
(sometimes incorrectly called "super-tuning")

These are the first nine reasons to buy a pinpointer that came off the top of my head. It changes the experience of detecting and digging. When the work gets shorter and easier, and you start seeing more rewards for the same amount of work, you start having more fun and wanting to go out more. If you want to spend as little time as possible bending and digging, GET THE PINPOINTER.

Last edited:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Hi drd777 ... Well here's what can solve your kit issue in one sweep , with two suggestions . 1.) This is part of your original set up plans and a good plan but not the best . Either buy the Compadre and add a set of cheaper headphones . No need for the top of the line with headphones . A decent trowel , something sturdy and well made and forget the pin-pointer for the moment . Why ? Because to me your just beginning and like it was wisely said above you really don't need one at the moment until your sure your suited to continue on with the hobby . Then save your clad this season and if your needing one then buy it with the clad . 2.) This is the best plan for a beginner package on a budget ~ IMHO . Buy a F 2 not a Ace . And buy the Pro Kit with it . About $215 shipped with two coils and a pin pointer or the Fisher F 2 Deluxe package that gives you three coils , a pin pointer and a nice Fisher bag to haul it in . Fisher is better the the Ace 250 for many reasons and three are tones and numerical ID and a 5 year warranty , and other options just check them out and compare . Garrett 250's have none of those options and just a 2 year warranty .Or even a Tek Alfa 2000 (and they are deep and have package deals) at $199 is better IMHO than a Ace 250 .And there's even a great deal on BH Platinum's on the big E for $299 shipped with extra's .And for those nay Sayers about the Pro pointer . I only am saying this because at 77 (No offence met drd777) you just might not need it . And back before the made them we had to pin point with our machines and therefore knew our machines better . And olfacre , you have many good reasons listed but for one or two . Only you can find the target before you dig will your hole be smaller . Therefore you must locate and pin point your target with your detector first , then dig and use the pin-pointer . And the other is having to de-tune and super-tune , this does nothing to save time and is a trick that needs to be learned in time and can be a hassle at times to do . I think Pro Pointers are one of the best , just not necessarily needed in a "starting out package". Best Regard's and Happy Trails , Woodstock

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's fine for other detectors and detectorists to do their thing, but I think drd777 should make his decision about this hobby based on good equipment instead of decent equipment. If it doesn't work out, good equipment will resell for at least 80% retail. Happy hunting. :D

P.S. Because the pinpointer can hit on one side of the hole more than the others, you end up doing less hole-widening, therefore smaller average hole size.

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fine for other detectors and detectorists to do their thing, but I think drd777 should make his decision about this hobby based on good equipment instead of decent equipment. If it doesn't work out, good equipment will resell for at least 80% retail. Happy hunting. :D

P.S. Because the pinpointer can hit on one side of the hole more than the others, you end up doing less hole-widening, therefore smaller average hole size.

Agree with everything you said!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drd777,
Howdy young fella and welcome to Tnet! If it were me and my son asked me to go out with him man I'd sure do it!

On Tnet there is a brands section and all the brands and most models are talked about, you should be able to find some good information there on whatever you are interested in. Consider what type of detecting you want to do though I would guess in your area that would be coins & jewelry and that covers a lot as is and some form of discrimination will be needed and if you really get into the ocean beaches then you will need a machine that works well in wet and dry sand.

As many have told you, you will be on your knees a lot. A lot of deep knee bends, twisting and turning, kneeling, digging, filling holes, talking with little kids and the like are involved in any type of metal detecting. Are you physically up to it? Most metal detectors are well balanced but after several hours any of them can become tiring. My choice would be one where the electronics can be belt/waist mounted though some say that it is inconvenient to have them there.

With ANY detector one must learn how to use that machine and this takes time. There are turn on and go settings and these get you out into the 'field' swinging and finding things. Then with practice and more practice one becomes proficient with that machine and you start making you own settings on the machine and this can be rewarding as long as you make notes about what you are doing and what the settings did for you. IF you like metal detecting you will have a lot of fun with your detector and it will give you rewards of things found as well as exercise.

If I were starting out I would purchase a middle of the product line machine from any brand company. This way it will be a pretty good machine, have some adjustability and yet will not be a machine that requires a lot of setting changes involving computer stored memories, unless you are adept with this menu driven type of system. Detecting is supposed to be a fun hobby so I would not recommend a high end machine as your starting unit and not the bottom end either.

Good luck with your decision, I hope you find the hobby enjoyable...........63bkpkr

OP
OP
D

drd777

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Sun City Center FL
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for that wealth of info; glad I joined this forum. I am taking the info, adding some research, and then deciding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread