Newbie CRH here w/dumb question

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
As a Newb, I've only made two trips ($200 ea.) to buy CR's. The first trip was successful in that I got one 40% Kennedy half and two silver Rosies ('59 & '61). The second trip (to a different branch) was a bust. All the rolls were CWRs. But this branch only had $70 in halves and as soon as I returned home, I noticed the rolls were all marked with a check mark meaning they had been searched/cherry picked by another CRHer. All the dime rolls were CWR's as well but had no noticable marks on them. Haven't finished looking through them, but thus far...nothing.

I read the post for beginners (which was very helpful), but here are my dumb :dontknow: questions for the veterans among you :notworthy: :

1. How does one avoid/minimize 'following' in the foot steps of another seasoned CRH?
2. How often should one exchange his 'inventory'...and with the same branch or should one 'bounce' between branches?
3. If one returns to the same bank the 'next day' for an exchange, isn't it more of a certainty one would not be given rolls that have already been cherry picked?
4. In today's (May '14) CRH market, which denominations are the best finding a.) silver, or b.) value?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies. HH

Upvote 0

tyler2277

Mar 3, 2014
Chicago suburbs
Primary Interest:
Other
Read the sticky thread at top. Never dump where you pick up. It depends what you're after, but every area is different, you might do great with halves while they're not so good for me, it's also a lot of being at the right place at the right time. I'm pretty new myself, good luck

beebs88

May 5, 2013
Welcome to the club! 1. You can't avoid getting searched coins. Just search any you can get a hold of. I picked up $200 once that they said was searched and returned 3 times. I found 7 40% silver and one was a 67 proof. 2. Dump them as fast as you can unless you have enough $ to keep buying. Look for coin machines with no fee. 3. If you turn in rolls at a branch and go back the next day you would just be buying back your same rolls. If you have to return by rolls just designate that branch as a dump site. 4. I love silver! I don't even look for anything but silver now. I started off collecting the proofs and NIFC dates but you can't sell for much $ since they are in circulated condition. I go through quite a bit now and learned how to properly rim/sound check to make things faster.

I mainly search halves by the way. I do dimes sometimes too. Just search whatever you enjoy the most. If it's not fun then it turns into work.

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . .
1. How does one avoid/minimize 'following' in the foot steps of another seasoned CRH?
2. How often should one exchange his 'inventory'...and with the same branch or should one 'bounce' between branches?
3. If one returns to the same bank the 'next day' for an exchange, isn't it more of a certainty one would not be given rolls that have already been cherry picked?
4. In today's (May '14) CRH market, which denominations are the best finding a.) silver, or b.) value?
. . .

1. You are in this for you. Find a routine that produces and follow it. Unless your area is an outright anomaly, there are other hunters doing their own thing and overlap is inevitable. You might be upstream or downstream from another hunter, but if your routine produces, stick with it and expand it as you can. If your routine is not producing, change it. It doesn't matter why it's not working (other hunters, cherry picking tellers, whatever). Just don't abuse any banks because you might have to transition from dump to pickup or vice versa.

2. Do not pickup and dump back to the same branch. That will alienate the branch. Even if they tell you it is OK, don't do it. Find a separate source and dump.
- Think about the return policy at your favorite store. Sure, the policy says returns are accepted for any reason, but how long would they allow you to buy an item and then return it within then next couple of days for a full refund. It might fly for a while, but they will eventually put an end to it.

3. Don't do it. If you pickup, then dump elsewhere and don't visit the same branch (for either pickup or dump) more than once per wk. Spread it out.

4. Test the waters. There are some of everything available to find.
Dimes: (I'll start by mentioning dimes. They will be the reference to the others.)
- My average for dimes is rock solid at 5-6 per $1000 searched.
- IMHO, dimes are the 2nd easiest to search after halves.
Nickels:
- When I regularly did nics, I averaged 1 per $100 searched.
- IMHO, Nickels take the longest of everything to search and are the least enjoyable .
- If you find one war nickel, that's nearly equivalent to finding one 90% dime.
- If you find 8 common undated Buffs, that is roughly equivalent to finding 1 90% dime.
Halves:
- For me, halves are feast or famine. I don't have an "average"
- IMHO, Halves are the easiest and fastest to search
- If you find one 40% Half dollar, that's roughly equivalent to finding 2 90% dimes
- If you find one 90% half dollar, that's equivalent to finding 5 90% dimes.
- If you find errors and/or varieties, you'll have to fill in the blanks on those.
Cents:
- I don't have any averages to share.
- IMHO, searching cents is a nice diversion to other denoms because you nearly always have a lot of finds (lower value, but more).
- If you find a roll of wheat cents, that is roughly the equivalent of finding 1 90% dime.
- If you find errors and/or varieties, you'll have to fill in the blanks on those because the range is from face value to mid six figures.
Quarters:
- My average is 0 per $1000 searched (I stopped at $6000 and haven't tried since).
- If you find a 90% quarter, that is the equivalent of finding 2.5 90% dimes.
- If you find errors and/or varieties, you'll have to fill in the blanks on those.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following whats already been said
DONT DONT DONT pick up and dump at the same bank EVER if you want this to be a long lasting hobby for you and others- take a couple weeks if needed to find and create a good system- meaning find banks with coin counting machines if possible with no fees and join then for your dump banks and then find seperate banks not just branches that will order you what you want
As for denominations youll just have to do what you want- I search halves even though they suck in my area- why you may ask? Because I cant stand face searching so nickles and cents are out of the question for me and dimes even though ibwas finding them ok the new yrs come out and then thats all you get and i was also getting shorted quite frequently on dimes
So I mainly stick with halves
And last ALWAYS ALWAYS buy all they have if you can- even if you think they are skunks or someone elses dumps for 2 reasons- 1 you never know when someone might miss something and 2 you dont want to be that person who says he wants so much and then sees the rolls that look like theyve been searched and say oh nevermind
Okok and now last- make friends with the tellers

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread