Newbie finds two Silver artifacts and first Miniball!

SpecialFarces

May 7, 2007
Upstate New York - USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Was out with the new Minelab SE the past two nights in my yard. I found several "copper head" pennies, 1890's. I found a nice large spoon - most of the plating is gone - I assume it is mid to late 1800's. I found two children's rings - one was a "Cracker Jack" quality - the other was braided silver! No idea on the age of the silver. The second piece of silver was a nice thimble, it is squashed, however it was complete (the tip is the round disk on the right side of the photo). The tip has hallmarks; from what limited research I could do this evening, it appears to be Swedish 1870's.

However, the find that made my day was a nice mini-ball bullet. All the folks around civil was areas seem to find tons of these for obvious reasons. Up here people seem to find more round musket balls vs the miniballs. I was much more excited to find the slug than the silver; I guess I like artifacts vs trinkets.

The Minelab SE can be a beast to learn, however in "all metal mode" I pulled the thimble and the miniball out at over 12" in the ground. I was finding iron down at 15", but nothing brag about.

Thanks for checking out my photos.

Attachments

• ringsindians.gif
    ringsindians.gif
    123.3 KB · Views: 338
  • miniball.gif
    miniball.gif
    181 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0
Congrats on a great bunch of finds. Old cracker jack rings are very collectible.Keep up the awesome finds.

Looking Good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back