Newbie from Richmond Va.

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got my first metal detector just about 4 days ago. I got an entry level machine, a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. Im starting to get better with it. The best thing (to me) I found so far is a 1941 wheat penny. I've actually found alot of penny's, beer can tabs, and a couple of other items of which I can't identify. So far this new found hobby has been great and I look forward to being a part of this forum. I am up for any suggestions or ideas from anyone who can help a novice. Thanks in advance.:hello:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pp-civilwar-print2 (2).jpg

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi ya Patrick & welcome from upstate Ny
An old gentlemen gave me a few basic but key tips when I was first starting out that really helped me to better understand the functions of myself as an operator and my metal detector as a guiding tool.
(First and foremost learn and know your machine).
Think of it as you and your detector are hunting partners,the detector will let you know when it has detected a target,the detector has did it's job.Now you as the operator has to first get the coil over a target before the detector can do it's job,once you do and a target has been detected it is then up to the operator to know what the machine is detecting and if to dig or pass.
Also note that no metal detector is 100% correct at IDing a target and yes your going to dig some junk but after you put in some time and practice with you machine you will notice that you'll be digging up less junk and recovering more desirable targets.
Also for the first several hours of using you machine you should dig all signals and make mental notes of how your machine reacted to each target.
I hope something here will help ya get off to a good start at MDing.
Good luck & happy hunting..........................................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread