Newbie from Southern California

MuDcAke

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Good evening all, I am glad to be a part of this very informative site such as TreasureNet. This hobby is really new to me, I've always had this interest of finding old things from the past but never really followed through with my interest. As of this year I am looking into buying a MD to persuade this urge of going out there and maybe finding something, only problem is that i don't know what kind of MD to buy. I've been looking at some bountyhunters, tesoros and garrett's but I'm really indecisive as to which one to get. My spending limit is 300$ and I told my wife that if i were to get a better MD it would be paid for from the findings of my first MD. I would start my new adventure in parks, dried river beds, beaches, lakes, mountains, and old property lots here in southern California, I am really excited to begin my quest and sharing it with you all.
Thank You.

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Older model Tesoro B2 UMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I too am from Southern California. I enjoy metal detecting, I currently use a Tesoro B2-uMAX, I'ts a bit older but works fine, although I would like to try a Garrett Ace 350 this year. Im in Torrance, and looking for enthusiests in rock hounding, weekend gold prospecting and metal detecting.
HH - Vince.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! For $300, you can get a Garrett Ace 250 or 350. Both will work for your hunt sites. The 350 goes a bit deeper, it has a larger DD coil and comes with headphones.

Wayne

www.MetalDetectingStuff.com

OP
OP
M

MuDcAke

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks Wayne,
Ive been looking at the ace 250 and 350 and seem pretty nice MD's but i just recently scored a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 for 50 bucks!, i looked at a few reviews and seems like a pretty legit MD, but then again I'm just a beginner and have little knowledge of MD's.....My question is; is a good score or did i just get burned for 50 bucks? Everyone's input is welcomed.
Thank you.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mudcake, the Bounty Hunters work fine. A lot of guys start out with one, then save up their clad to upgrade. You might take the money you saved and invest in a Garrett Propointer. It will save you a lot of target recovery time.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a BH Land Ranger and worked well for me in the dry sand on our beaches up here.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello MUDCAKE , im out in whittier and looking on C-LIST is good to , i see alot of Whites MXTs for sale around $400 that seems to be a top MD unit for gold and parks .

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome, yes save the clad coins and invest in a pointer, I use my at pro for what you are describing, HH

OP
OP
M

MuDcAke

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Hello MUDCAKE , im out in whittier and looking on C-LIST is good to , i see alot of Whites MXTs for sale around $400 that seems to be a top MD unit for gold and parks .

H-2 CHARLIE,

Where do you go MD'ing in Whittier? I'm not too far from you, I'm located in El Monte

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are a few parks around here , stage road park , penn park i know el monte is part of the old spanish trail so if there are any old parks over there tell me , maybe we can meet up for a dig up .

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from up on the Monterey Bay! 8-)

Hey Seabee
I am from Santa Cruz area..any thoughts you might want to share regarding good areas?
Nice to see someone is from around here :)

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening all, I am glad to be a part of this very informative site such as TreasureNet. This hobby is really new to me, I've always had this interest of finding old things from the past but never really followed through with my interest. As of this year I am looking into buying a MD to persuade this urge of going out there and maybe finding something, only problem is that i don't know what kind of MD to buy. I've been looking at some bountyhunters, tesoros and garrett's but I'm really indecisive as to which one to get. My spending limit is 300$ and I told my wife that if i were to get a better MD it would be paid for from the findings of my first MD. I would start my new adventure in parks, dried river beds, beaches, lakes, mountains, and old property lots here in southern California, I am really excited to begin my quest and sharing it with you all.
Thank You.

Hi and welcome ,
I just started this myself and when you can get a Garrett Pro Pointer ..it has made a world of difference in the hunt!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Seabee
I am from Santa Cruz area..any thoughts you might want to share regarding good areas?
Nice to see someone is from around here :)

Well WELCOME! Any of our beaches during the Spring and Summer. Pretty slow right now as we have not had any real good storms to stir things up. Other than that, just try some schools or parks. I really don't have any private secret spots!

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well WELCOME! Any of our beaches during the Spring and Summer. Pretty slow right now as we have not had any real good storms to stir things up. Other than that, just try some schools or parks. I really don't have any private secret spots!

Thanks Seabee ,
I am wondering what kind of MD you have.I have a ace 250 and use Garrett pro pointer. At some point I would like to purchase a more expensive machine especially for the water...

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Seabee ,
I am wondering what kind of MD you have.I have a ace 250 and use Garrett pro pointer. At some point I would like to purchase a more expensive machine especially for the water...

I use a Whites MXT in the dry sand and a Whites PI in the wet. The ACE250 may do alright in the dry sand, but will be very unstable in the wet. Even my MXT does not do well in the wet sand on our beaches.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Whites MXT in the dry sand and a Whites PI in the wet. The ACE250 may do alright in the dry sand, but will be very unstable in the wet. Even my MXT does not do well in the wet sand on our beaches.

Thanks for the info..appreciate that. I did try it in dry sand..had to turn down sensitivity and dug up a boatload of nails:(
Hopefully when crowds have been at the beach something more than nails will come up in the dry stuff until I invest in another md .

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One last question..well maybe two..where did you purchase your water md and have you found anything you consider a good find?

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last question..well maybe two..where did you purchase your water md and have you found anything you consider a good find?

Bought the PI from a member on a different forum and yes I have!!:treasurechest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread