Mole

Greenie
Apr 2, 2016
Tucson, AZ.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Legacy 3500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, I've just joined this forum. I'm also brand new to the hobby of metal detecting.
My step dad had a metal detector back in the late '70's that my siblings and I played with without knowing "boo" about, and that was what made me want to have one this many years later.

My best buddy got a metal detector from his wife and kids for a gift and it sat in his office for a couple of years as a dust collector. For some reason, probably because he "found" it, he broke it out and wanted to get into the hobby. This was my chance, and I jumped on it!

I asked my wife, (that's right you tough guys, I fully realize on which side my bread is buttered!), for permission to buy her a metal detector for our anniversary, permission granted.

Waiting for the week and a half for her machine to show up was pure agony. FINALLY the UPS carrier arrived with her brand new Bounty Hunter Legacy 3500!

I know it's not top of the line, but I'm poor, and it's not as easy to figure out as one would assume.

I've got about two hours of use under my belt, and I can tell you, ancient aluminum cans, nails and odd bits of trash cannot hide from my finely tuned detector!

I sure hope that I can figure this thing out. I look forward to learning all I can from these forums, and to one day, dig an eighteen inch deep hole in the Arizona dirt, (we have no "soil"), that holds something more interesting than an old piece of pipe!

Thanks, Mole. 8-)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Mole! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Arizona for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
M

Mole

Greenie
Apr 2, 2016
Tucson, AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks vpnavy! I'll head over there now.

OP
OP
M

Mole

Greenie
Apr 2, 2016
Tucson, AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, ha. When I first saw you "name", I thought, "Holy crap, we've got a vampire in the forum! This guy's been digging for 440 years!"
Sometimes, I'm a frigging idiot. :BangHead:
Thanks for the welcome. ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be surprised at what's in the ground. Good Luck.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome, good hunting and I must say, my hat's off to anyone who can stand the heat out there. Lots to find though. Met a guy years ago who followed the washes out past Apache Junction. Looking for gold nuggets that washed down out of those mountains(yeah, this is a clue). He always found them. Also told me about relics and arrowheads he found. I was a grad student at Texas Tech at the time, working for the History of Engineering Dept.(summer job), driving the Dept fan and that's why he probably talked to me. We were nominating old structures in Douglas and Greenlee County to the national register. I was doing the library work. Really got excited talking to this guy and checking out the gold he showed me. Sure there is still a lot to be found. Good hunting.

OP
OP
M

Mole

Greenie
Apr 2, 2016
Tucson, AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! My buddy and I spent the better part of Sunday trying to find some color at a known placer area actually in Tucson. I've got a five gallon bucket to pan...
My pal has a gold coil, (I'll get mine soon), and was nugget shooting to no avail. "Searching" is most of the fun. "Finding" is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned!
Austin, thanks for the tip! I know as soon as I pass that one on, we'll be headed to Apache Junction! Ha,ha.
It's still a couple of months away from real heat. I was born and raised here and the only difference between you and I is that I easily drink two gallons of water a day! If only I had a hump...

Last edited:

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Mole to TNET and wishing you many great finds while out dirt fishing with your BHL 3500. Sounds like you got the fever for MD.

Texas ED

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions