Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2006
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone,

I'm a complete newbie, so I have a few questions.

1. What's the best way to get your feet wet in this hobby? Do you buy a cheap metal detector? Do you rent one to see if you like it?

2. I live west of Chicago. Does anyone know of any good places to try in the Western Chicago Suburbs - around Naperville/Aurora/West Chicago area?

Finally, if there's a "primer" on this site and I missed it, I apologize. Please point me in the right direction if so.

Thanks!
- Kbrown

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Generally the newbies go for a inexpensive first detector such as the Garrett Ace 250. A quality machine for $200. Some of the experienced users may actually recommend a mid priced detector because if you become addicted you will upgrade. However the big factor is YOU. Do you have the patience and perseverance to make this YOUR HOBBY? For a lot of people their first detector is their last. In those cases a minimum initial investment was a good idea.
No I don't recommend renting a detector- You need a lot of time to give this hobby a go.

I suggest you join a metal detecting club in your area.

George

bobberdown

Greenie
Nov 23, 2006
South Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Welcome to the world of digging worms and Penny's. You will love the hobby and on some day's you will want to throw all your equipment in the trash.
If you have any city parks that allow you to metal detect in them, a good place to start is around the play area and the benches where people set and change falls from their pockets.
I might suggest you get the following items to practice on in your yard.
about 6 wood paint stirring sticks.
1 penny
1 dime
1 pull tab
1 nickle
1 quarter
1 half dollar
1 screw on soda cap
1 piece of rusted metal
1 nail rusted
1 silver clad earring
1 small gold item.
1 piece of Aluminum
Now take the wooden sticks and cut them into half. Them get some Gorilla Glue, and put a very small drop on each item, label each to what it is on the opposite end, then place them on the tips of the sticks (One item on each stick.) Then get you a shop apron and make the apron part of your hunting gear.
Go out in your yard and punch a small hole and bury the end of each stick (Item End. About two foot apart.) about 3" deep. Now go back and get your machine, a pin and note book.
Now go out where you placed the items. Swept them one at a time and make note of what each item registers on your machine. After you do it once then go back and do it again with your eyes closed and listen to the sound each makes. Do it over and over and over you will learn what your machine is telling you.
When you go in the field take the samples with you, and if you have question on what an item is you can check yourself. Differed items act different in different soil conditions.
Now to make your life and your hobby more enjoyable go buy you a pin pointer. I use the Whites Bulls Eye and love it. ($90.00) Money well spent.
Well welcome and good luck. By the way Metal Detecting is a lot like fishing a certain amount of luck and GOOD Equipment helps you get more to the surface.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
bakergeol said:
Generally the newbies go for a inexpensive first detector such as the Garrett Ace 250. A quality machine for $200. Some of the experienced users may actually recommend a mid priced detector because if you become addicted you will upgrade. However the big factor is YOU. Do you have the patience and perseverance to make this YOUR HOBBY? For a lot of people their first detector is their last. In those cases a minimum initial investment was a good idea.
No I don't recommend renting a detector- You need a lot of time to give this hobby a go.

George

Good advice, that’s how I got started in the hobby two months ago

Only thing missed is search out a local club, best advice, best places to hunt, easiest learning curve and best friends!!

B

BIG61AL

Get a mid range detector...they should have a turn on and go ability but still can be be adjusted for specific needs. Use a heavy duty digger and don't go out detecting with out a pin pointer. Any park, school yard abandoned property are good places to look. Sledding hills can be yield a treasure trove of coins depending on how long it has been used.

C

Cyberflexx

bakergeol said:

George

Good advice, dont make the mistake that I made.. here is my story

I was in metal detecting back in 1993 and used a Whites Coinmaster 5000d GEB which I still have. I used it for a year or two then got out of detecting. I then got back into detecting several years later and bought a Tesoro Silver Saber Umax, used it for a year, then sold it because I was getting out of detecting. Then I wanted to get back into it again and bought a Whites XLT and we all know how much those are new.. Well i used it 10 times and didnt really like it but I decided to keep it then quit detecting again. Now I am getting back into it again and just bought a used Tesoro Silver Saber Umax like the one that I had sold. I would stick with a good used turn on and go detector like a Tesoro as these are great detectors and they dont wear your arms out..

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
From one rookie to another, here's a little feedback for your post. I started with my first metal detector about 4 weeks ago. Not wanting to blow alot of cash, and not knowing if I could stick to this hobby, I purchased a $50 BH 1100 on Ebay. I started finding clad coins left and right. On my third day, I came across a 1940 Washington Quarter. A few days ago I found a mercury dime, and last night at around 8:00pm, I found another mercury dime. This is with a machine that seems to have at the most 5" in an air test. Neverthless, I got hooked and I knew I needed a better machine. A couple of days ago I ordered an ACE 250 and I will see what results I get with that. I've had some really exciting results with this cheap machine of mine, and I feel like I have learned it very well. I feel very confident in analyzing what it's trying to tell me. With that, the other day a good buddy and I went detecting and he bought along his BH Landstar. It was a better machine, but I did not feel confident with it and didn't know in what language it was talking, and I found very little. I almost feel sad replacing my 1100 and wish it had a few more inches of depth so I didn't feel as though I am walking over targets. New to this, I am starting to believe that the machine will only be a very small percentage of the success factor. I think 50% is dedication and patience, and the remaining percentage is how much time you spend out there and how good your research your destinations. A detector will not find anything tucked away in a closet. I've found myself detecting after work from 7pm to 12am on certain occassions. If I had to do it any different for now, I think I might have done better buying a BH 2200 or 3300 just to have had a few more inches with a first detector. Still, I am a happy hunter with my 3 little silver finds.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEWBIE: More to know than which detector...

...of course a good detector is important. I suggest the Ace 250 or Whites Prism series. Neither is the cheapest, both will do nicely and have quality built in. Detecting is an outdoor activity and shoddy wont do. No sir.

Also, there is A LOT more to detecting than the instrument. With that in mind here are my "Secrets of Success for Detecting Newcomers" - use them in good health

"I have been detecting a long time and below are the things I have found a newbie SHOULD be about:

1. Dig!
You wont find anything and you wont learn what your machine is telling you or what it is doing if you don't.

2. DO NOT rely on that meter to solve your problems.
There is A LOT of junk out there and plenty of it masquerades as good stuff. The best thing about Imaging is it will tell you probable size - which might be meaningless if you happen on a roman brooch that looks like a big old can lid.

3. Turn the sensitivity down to start.
Dont expect to find stuff halfway to China, as most good things are within the first FOOT. Nor will having the SENS cranked to max "draw in" the goodies. SENS that is too high only results in false signals and lots of frustration. Id say start it about 70%.

4. Set time limits.
A. Plan to detect for a certain amount of time, as often as possible. Like any activity, good practice makes you better.
B. DO NOT detect longer that you should - set a limit on that, too. Remember you have a job and a family and friends.

5. Set Recovery Goals.
A certain coin, or artifact, a certain number of coins, etc. Then work to achieve them.

6. Carry your detector with you as much as possible.
You never know when a chance to detect will come along. A nice carry bag may be useful here - or may be a nuisance (but dont leave it in your car - EVER!! The heat is murder on it, banging around in the trunk or having kids kicking it as they climb in and out - these things dont help it at all. Finally, thieves know what they are worth, too, and a car is easy to break into).

7. Learn about your area and what you might actually find.
It does no good to take your detector to a parking lot...I actually tried this once. 'Didnt have much luck.

8. Talk to your friends and family about your new hobby.
Ask if they know any old places, or good modern places, where lots of people have been active.

9. Plan to do all sorts of detecting.
You are new and this hobby has lots to offer. Dont imagine yourself only "this sort" of detectorist or "that sort." Try it all.

10. Get a carry bag and keep these things in it:
Extra headphones.
Extra batteries
2 long Digging trowels (Lesche or Wilcox)
1 recovery apron
1 probe
1 long screwdriver. Flatten and round the end to about the size of a penny.
1 8-10" inch hunting knife
Garden gloves
Super glue and duct tape
...You can have more but youll need these.

11. Learn the Detectorists Code of Ethics
And cover all your holes all the time. It should appear as if you were never there.

BONUS TIP: "Determine to Have Fun."

MPFISH

May 2, 2006
minnesota
hi all the one thing that i did'nt see anyone say is if you dig a hole cover it ...no mater where you are even out in the woods only good th,ing.........mpfish........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions