newbie help on quartz

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
I found this rock on the beaches of Lake Superior U.P. Michigan.
Is this what I want to look for in finding quartz?
pic 1 looks like some of the copper I have gotten from the U.P. but I really don't know what I am looking for...yet.

I also collected some of the black sand from the beaches and there are known gold mines within a mile.

Any help/advice is always welcomed.

Thanks,
Makton

Attachments

• quartzinrock3.jpg
    quartzinrock3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 934
  • quartz in rock.jpg
    quartz in rock.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 689
  • quartz in rock2.jpg
    quartz in rock2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 603
Upvote 0

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
that vein looks pretty promising! you got two different colored minerals on each side of the vein, klondikeike will chime in soon enough

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
First photo looks like quartz Monzonite.

I find gold in that stuff here in New Mexico.

Use a Lupe and check those holes in it.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
No visible gold in the photos, which does not mean no gold at this time, just does not confirm it is there. :icon_scratch: Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Now, if it was me, I would crush the samples and see what they contain. May want to weigh those samples first, just in case you do find some color. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Thanks all for the responses.
The pics are both sides of one rock.
My question is since quartz is everywhere up there, should I be looking for rusty quartz or how do I identify minerals in the quartz to hope to find gold?

Here is another rock I brought home that has the quartz running through what looks like granite.
This rock weighs about 20lbs

I have another pic I'll upload later that is pure white, crystal like quartz coming out of the bedrock.

Thanks,
Makton

Attachments

• quartz.jpg
    quartz.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,328

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
That peace looks hard.

Most time I find gold it's in suguar type quarz granular types.

Yes, rusty Red is a good indicator.

When you find one like this, I'll help you for sure.

Attachments

• Gold%20Quartz.jpg
    Gold%20Quartz.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 8,362

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klondike here...

Without actually seeing the samples... it is difficult at best to determine just what you do have there...in these pictures..

KEEP IN MIND THAT GOLD IS FOUND..."WHERE YOU FIND IT..."..... now and then gold tricks us and it is found in very odd places...and sometimes "breaks" all the rules... lol

But usually, the quartz is softer than the host rock.... and almost always found on a contact of two different types of rock structures...

I do not SEE softer quartz and nor do I see different rock contacts... Please understand, just because there are two different colored rocks on each size of a quarts vein, doesn't always mean these two different rocks are different and forming a contact, ....but often the same rock structure can come in many different colors, depending on the temperature, age, pressure, heat and possible minerals present...when it was formed...

Quarts can be formed in either cold water or hot water..... It is very, very, very, very rare for gold to found in quarts formed by cold water...... Gold is almost always found in quartz that was injected into the contact zone when it was hot, by geothermal processes...

The pictures seem to have some clear and defined "crystals" of quartz, albeit.. very small crystals, but crystals none the less...which is almost always associated with cold water quarts... The larger quartz crystal we have all seen at other times , were formed by cold water...

Hot water quartz has less crystals and cuts and polishes very easily... it seems to me the samples in the pictures would crumble, due to there crystalline structure when being cut, not allowing for a good polish...

Below is a pic of some quarts in a gold rich alluvial deposit... notice the difference in the quarts structures between the pic below and the samples in original post...BTW.. the quartz pictured below, is known for it's high gold values..... also, notice the smaller pieces of quartz scattered about and around the largest piece of quartz... notice the texture compared to the original post pictures.... this is the kind of quartz that gold is usually found in...

But remember, gold is where you find it... soooooo crush some of the rocks and quartz and pan it out... or best thing, have it assayed.. it only takes about 3 or 4 ounces of a sample for a good assay...then you'll know the real truth behind what you have..

Hope this helps...and good job.. keep looking who knows you may have something really good there...

Klondike....

Attachments

• Quartz.jpg
    Quartz.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 684

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks again KlondikeIke, that's some very good information from you. I was wondering why I never seemed to find gold with the crystals, now it makes sense.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't realize my photo of the quartz came out so small.. so I re posted it so you all can see the difference between hot (my pic) and cold water quartz...(earlier posted pics)

Klondike..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread