Newbie here - first time using a sluice!

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently acquired the Angus Mackirk Eureka sluice and will be using it for the first time this Saturday. I am fairly new to prospecting and this will be my first time using a sluice. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on where and how to use a sluice but would love to get some tips, comments, suggestions, etc... on the best way to use this specific sluice. I've heard that this model of AM is a bit on the larger size when it comes to sluices especially for a beginner to be using but I got a great deal on it so I will make due. If anyone has this specific model or pictures/videos that would be helpful in how to set it up and such I'd love to see them.

Thanks in advance!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few thinks. Proper water flow is critical.Not too much .Not too little.Classify ALL material going into it.On my Angus I classify to 1/4". Great sluice enjoy it.And good luck. :)

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a way to determine how much water flow is the correct amount or will I just have to play around with it? In some pictures/videos I've seen the sluice is slanted and in some it's almost level/straight, is water flow what matters the most? Perfect, a 1/4 classifier is exactly what I have - got lucky on that one.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a way to determine how much water flow is the correct amount or will I just have to play around with it? In some pictures/videos I've seen the sluice is slanted and in some it's almost level/straight, is water flow what matters the most? Perfect, a 1/4 classifier is exactly what I have - got lucky on that one.

You'll have to play w/it.You'll know when its right.Too steep all material is washed out.Not steep enough and the material will clog it.Also make sure it is level.And use the 2 metal strips as a platform for a big rock to hold it in place ,once leveled.
IF your in a creek with raging flood waters ,almost level will work.IF your in a stream with slow moving waters you'll have to have more angle on the sluice .

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this helps. 010.JPG
Also, until you get use to it.Put a pan(with a rock in it to hold it in place)on the downward end.That will catch any gold that might of been flushed out.Then classify THAT material & run it again.OR,just pan it.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*** DANGER***You trap some of this .You'll be Hooked for life :) 004.JPG

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I am hoping for - fingers crossed!

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm up in the Englewood/Littleton area. If you haven't already, you should check out findinggoldincolorado.com as well as their facebook page with the same name. I know there are a few people on there from Colorado Springs who'd be happy to have others to go out with and if you're ever up this way I'd happy to have you join as well. I tend to frequent Arapahoe Bar up in Wheat ridge.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AM sluice are some of the easiest to setup correctly, they catch gold great as well.

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I've heard. I am really looking forward to getting out there and giving it a try.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to pick a spot on the creek that has some rapids and some tilt for the sluice. You don't want it level, at least 2" of drop overall. When the brown sands run out fairly quickly, leaving the black sand down in the first large riffle, you will be able to see the gold when you drop a scoop in the header. Try to set it up so that not much black sand can drop into that very first small riffle because that's where you want to see the gold, at least in a perfect world with a perfect set up... Getting the right amount of flow can take quite a bit of time but that is a great sluice :icon_thumleft:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed’s right. You’ll want drop at the sluice and below it for”takeaway”.

Depth can vary greatly based on your style. Doc and his GoldHog mats run an inch deep. My Keene I ran to the top of the sides. Mainly it should establish an active bed. Keeping some material but not building up. Adjust for time. A good sized scoop should clear the top half in ten seconds or so.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my AM as my first sluice. New to the game this past summer and I will say that it took me a bit to feel comfortable running it steeper and faster and dealt with clogging and slow clearing at first. Once I got to trusting the sluice, and the gold, it was a lot more enjoyable and faster to process the gravel. Watch for the sand and gravel in the riffles to be actively moving around.
Good luck!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm up in the Englewood/Littleton area. If you haven't already, you should check out findinggoldincolorado.com as well as their facebook page with the same name. I know there are a few people on there from Colorado Springs who'd be happy to have others to go out with and if you're ever up this way I'd happy to have you join as well. I tend to frequent Arapahoe Bar up in Wheat ridge.

This makes me SO happy to see! Thanks for making my day!!!

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the comments, advice, and suggestions. I had a pretty successful first time out with my first sluice. The water flow I had was decent but not great - always room for improvement. I had a great opportunity to play around with it and didn't leave empty handed so I am quite pleased with my results. Thanks again!

Photo_2018-01-06_06-11-04_PM.png

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect !! Looks like a good creek :)

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice work! Looks like a peaceful spot!

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
You look to have the right idea, build up the wing dam and direct the amount of water you need.

Awesome feeling to get the good stuff on the 1st trip out with new gear.

Full golden vials to ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread