Newbie here with first time use of AT Pro

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well got my brand spanking new AT Pro from Kellyco, and every thing was there and it all look pretty well made. Some things were a bit silly tho like the replica coin and string back pack but other wise not bad. Slapped it all together ok, but I found that tightening up the head phone and coil leads was a pain as people have mentioned.

Got some pics of it all for other new people interested in a AT PRO and the next day after work I thought I would try it out. I initially tried it at work out in the country side but found nothing and too much iron, so I went home and tried it around the house (House built in 1911) Had a bit of chit chat in the phones from the over head power lines going to the house and garage but still managed to find a couple of penny's and then I moved around to the front of the house and found a lot more penny's.

Pin pointer is still a trial of errors and not getting fooled by iron is interesting, The Gator shovel was ok but there are better, Vulcan Pin Pointer worked great (pics here show how close before it goes off but that is on a large object) I was in Pro mode zero, iron 30, full sensitivity and although I did not find much in a 1 1/2 hours it was fun. Knee's got a bit cold from the snow (no kneeling pad...duh!) and it was about 25F over cast.

Result.....I like it a lot and it will only get better, I love the waiting for the big tone hit and the mystery of the find, in fact I try to see who will be correct in guessing the target, me or the AT Pro.

And the bag for the day is 8 cents in modern penny's, one 1964 dime, a 1944 D wheat penny and a 1917 wheat penny (people who lived here the past must have loved penny's lol)

That was just a quick go over my yard , will do more tomorrow but over all great fun......cheers for now

DSCN0148.JPG DSCN0151.JPG DSCN0152.JPG DSCN0153.JPG DSCN0154.JPG DSCN0155.JPG DSCN0156.JPG DSCN0157.JPG DSCN0158.JPG DSCN0159.JPG DSCN0160.JPG

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of Luck to you! The AT-Pro was my first Detector too and I've really grown to lovin it. I have the Vulcan Pin-pointer as well - Advise: Get a little clear 100% GE Silicone put a little dab over the Green on light on the pinpointer. Fill the recessed void right up to the top and flush it off with a razor blade. I did the same thing on the speaker hole to and I never had any problems with it. It'll prevent mud from building up and blocking the recessed light and speaker. I love the Pin-pointer as well.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dang good first day mate!

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
@Eureka Thanks I will do that because I was always blowing ice and mud out of the switch on the 360.

@Jeff-Gordon Yeah it was pretty good, really glad at finding the 44 and 17 penny's, i was not expecting to find an older coin this soon.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give yourself plenty of time to learn the at pro and use the pro mode. The standard mode is a waste of time in my opinion. Once you learn the machine you will love it. It can be frustrating at times but if you get your coil over a good target it will let you know. I didn't see if you have the 5x8 coil also if not that would be my next purchase it does great in iron infested sites and really balances the machine. I love my pro so much I just got the at gold. Good luck and if you are struggling get in here and we will point you in rite direction. Plenty of exp with the at pro on this forum.

Last edited:

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not too bad for an "informal" little hunt.
I'm yet to find a real old coin.
I found a US Quarter dated 1990, but no silver or old coins yet...

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am looking forward to do a bit more tomorrow and see what else i can find, this town has 14 parks and dates back to the turn of the century or earlier (need to do some research). I have only the stock coil at the moment but will get the 5x8 later.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swagman... Nice starting setup. Check your local regs on hunting your local parks. Check posted signage and any online park info.

Otherwise:
DISC 35
SENS 6-7
IRON AUDIO your choice
GB it!
And dig everything over 40

You will learn what foil, pull tabs, and bottle caps sound like.

HH

skip_a_loo

Apr 11, 2013
Newton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Up Graded to...GTP at Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my head phone pads fell off after the second year..make sure you have extra ones on hand..

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks skip will do

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver the first time out is just awesome! Congrats and keep at it, but don't be too surprised if you don't find another silver for a while!

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all but I night have been premature in the dime, I thought it was 1964 but can not find it now and the 3 I have that I dug up all clad. I went out again today in the front yard, snow was a bit deeper and was not able able to sweep close to the ground. Did get a few hits, dug up 12 pennies and 3 clad dimes and one 1916 wheat penny. What is strange is , why so many pennies? and no matter whether the VDI showed penny or anything up to quarter (Numerical number ranged from mid 70 to late 80) it was always a penny, even had one in the early 90 and it was still a penny.

I tried Pro zero with 40 discrim, iron off, one bar down on sensitivity. I also tried Pro coin with 40 dsicrim and every thing notched out from dime down, full sensitivity but I still pulled penny's no matter what it said it was. I thought if you notch out penny's it would not hit on them. What I was trying to do was try and only get a hit on silver but it still hit on every thing else.

Any way it was still fun and can not wait till summer to MD with out the snow and cold.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my yard, the pre '65 coins are as this: around 35-40 wheats and a handful of 59-64 memorials....6 pre65 nickels...and 8 silver dimes....no silver quarters/halves. Pennies are almost always the dominant coins in any given area. Good luck!

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife laughs and makes fun of me for all the pennies i find.

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah but pennies add up, I have a jar with $6 worth of them.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pennies signals can also turn into silver rings and other surprises. It can get daughting at times, but just dig them. You never know.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least they are not ringing in as iron :) make sure you are ground balancing correctly, it sounds like your off a bit.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On your ID numbers, the instructional manual says you must be centered over the target with the coil at an even level over the ground. This is part of "coil control" and good cc requires your attention. It just takes time to work up to it. As for centering the coil over the target, surface targets are harder to pinpoint sometimes and the toe or tail pinpointing method is pretty much required on the shallow targets in trashy areas. And like Rob said, good ground balance is also required to get an accurate ID. But my bet is coil control will help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread