Newbie here

Mamanay

Oct 11, 2006
Hi everyone, newbie here from Missouri, right outside the St Louis area. Hubby recently bought me a metal detector. Our 12 yr old son J, and I had a ball at Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago. Interestingly enough though we found our biggest treasure without the use of the MD. J found a gold ring with several diamonds in it. The ring looks very expensive. We notified the resort we were staying at, of our find and left contact info. I have also checked the newspaper from the area to see if anyone posts a classified ad, but no luck so far. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how we can locate the owner of this ring.

Also I would love some hints, ideas, just some words of wisdom from those with experience on metal detecting. I think this is going to be something that my son and I can do together that well help us to bond. We adopted J from the foster care system I love him to death, I think this treasure hunting thing is going to be that memory building thing that parents talk about for years. I am so excited. How do I find places to take him so that he doesn't get discouraged with our hunts? Also can we legally dig in public parks and such?

Looking forward to reading all your posts and learning from everyone here.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet Mamanay

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI MAMANAY, WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND HOPE TO READ YOUR STORIES AND ABOUT YOUR FINDS.congrats on your first gold ring.

THE IMFAMOUS TINPAN [aussie]

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the best Treasure site on the WWW! TONS of good information here, search, chat, you name it, you can more than likely find it one here.

Welcome aboard and consider "charter membership" ;D

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Hello. Metal detecting can and will be a very addictive hobby. You will eat, sleep, and talk about detecting. Have fun. Welcome aboard.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most parks are fare game but you might want to check with city hall just to be sure. I know the county parks where I live (Johnson County, KS) are off limits unless you have a permit. There is another town in Missouri, I think its Oak Grove where metal detecting is against the law. Good luck and let us know what you find. Feel free to message any of us if you have any questions.

Don
Kansas City

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:D Welcome to TN, Mamanay, & A Big Welcome to your Son! Don't worry, You will notice plenty of potential places to Hunt as you go along!

The hardest part in starting out is getting over not finding too much! That's when a lot of people put their Detector in the Closet, for

good! Look around for a MD Club in the area, or watch the TN Topics for Th'ers near you! Just don't get discouraged! You've already made a Great Find tho! Good Luck!

Joe

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mamanay said:
Hi everyone, newbie here from Missouri, right outside the St Louis area. Hubby recently bought me a metal detector. Our 12 yr old son J, and I had a ball at Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago. Interestingly enough though we found our biggest treasure without the use of the MD. J found a gold ring with several diamonds in it. The ring looks very expensive. We notified the resort we were staying at, of our find and left contact info. I have also checked the newspaper from the area to see if anyone posts a classified ad, but no luck so far. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how we can locate the owner of this ring.

Also I would love some hints, ideas, just some words of wisdom from those with experience on metal detecting. I think this is going to be something that my son and I can do together that well help us to bond. We adopted J from the foster care system I love him to death, I think this treasure hunting thing is going to be that memory building thing that parents talk about for years. I am so excited. How do I find places to take him so that he doesn't get discouraged with our hunts? Also can we legally dig in public parks and such?

Looking forward to reading all your posts and learning from everyone here.

mama,

i too am from missouri, the KC metro area. I'll never forget game 7 of the 85 world series, the I-70 series, KC beat the birds and won it all! ::)

my two boys detected when they were in the 12 range. They kinda out grew it. A kid has got to like it! :o

When my youngest son was 13, he found this wedding band 5" down in the sand, Bowman's Beach, Sanibel Island. ::)

I was in St. Louis last Friday and detected Lafayette Park. It's the first public park west of the mississippi, established 1836. Here's what I found. Didn't find Jack! But one who can go out and detect for hours, and have a good time, that's the one this hobby is for!

I detected my in-laws yard. Their house was built in the 40's. I found this standing liberty 1943. I would check with relatives, inlaws, friends, etc, to see if you can detect their yard. Residental yards pre-1950 can be treasure fields....... :o

Treasure that boy! They grow up so quick. My boys are 19 and 17. :'(

Good luck mama! 8)

Attachments

• Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 762
  • Finds001.JPG
    Finds001.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 765
  • Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach 10K.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 777
  • Finds001.JPG
    Finds001.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 754
  • 1943 Standing Liberty Half Heads.JPG
    1943 Standing Liberty Half Heads.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 762
  • 1943 Standing Liberty Half Tails.JPG
    1943 Standing Liberty Half Tails.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 755
OP
OP
M

Mamanay

Oct 11, 2006
Thanks for the great welcome. :) I have been reading, reading and reading all the posts. I am so excited to have found this forum. I am learning and getting so excited to be a part of this group. I really appreciate the nice, welcoming reply's to my post.

Ric, I already treasure my boy. I know just what you mean about how fast they grow up. I have two grown sons who are now 23 and 27 yrs old. My hubby and I adopted a sibling group of 3 from the Missouri foster care system. Yeah we started all over. We have children from 6 yrs old to 27 yrs old, and a grandbaby. J the 12 yr old is the only one so far who has found an interest in treasure hunting with me. Hopefully the other 2 will also. In reality these 3 kiddo's are probably the best treasure I will ever find.

Anyway thanks again everyone and I look forward to getting to know everyone here. :)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. This is the best site on the Net.
There is a great bunch of people here that are very helpful in all aspects of treasure hunting.

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana
Welcome and good luck. As Ric stated, residential yards are a very good place to hunt. Ask friends and relatives if you can experiment in thier yards, and when you start pulling out the silver, just keep on going till dark. Always make sure to fill the holes back and laying the sod back on top so it wont look bad when your finished.
St. Louis is an excellant place to find old coins and relics, just look at some of JD's posts.
Any effort you put in to bonding with your son will be a cherished memory for him, by the way, I was adopted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread