newbie here

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I have recently caught the itch for finding some real gold. I live about ten minutes from villa rica georgia which was the site of georgias first gold rush. Im not real sure if there is much gold left in the area, but would love to find out lol. I have been trying to convince my dad to go panning with me to hopefully create a new outside hobby that is fun and rewarding. Is anyone familiar with the area or know whether or not there may be any gold left over? I guess if someone knew for sure if there were any real gold findings in recent history there I might be able to convince him to go. I showed him some videos on panning and he seemed interested lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thank you, I will definitely look up local clubs

gold guy

Jan 2, 2013
mreese1849 said:
Hi, I have recently caught the itch for finding some real gold. I live about ten minutes from villa rica georgia which was the site of georgias first gold rush. Im not real sure if there is much gold left in the area, but would love to find out lol. I have been trying to convince my dad to go panning with me to hopefully create a new outside hobby that is fun and rewarding. Is anyone familiar with the area or know whether or not there may be any gold left over? I guess if someone knew for sure if there were any real gold findings in recent history there I might be able to convince him to go. I showed him some videos on panning and he seemed interested lol

Hi mreese1849
To answer your question I need to know was the place hard rock mined or was the gold found in a creek
Gold Guy

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a video that mentions villa rica
[video]http://www.infomine.com/library/videos/?v=875[/video]

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it was hard rock mined, but could there still be gold in the many creeks and nearby rivers?

gold guy

Jan 2, 2013
mreese1849 said:
I guess it was hard rock mined, but could there still be gold in the many creeks and nearby rivers?

Thanks for answering and yes hard rock means they were looking for ore and ore deposits up into near by creeks as placer gold hit it hard because I got me a mine close to reeds gold mine so hit it hard and good luck.
Gold Gold

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow yeah. I just read another forum where a guy said if you pan the creeks around villa rica and up you will fin plenty of it and that he definitely hasn't went broke in those creeks lol

crystalpayne

Jan 14, 2013
Fort Mitchell
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would check out some panning videos and Practice!!!! Practice, Practice! I dont know how far you live from cleveland ga, but they have Gold n Gem Grubbing and they will teach you how to pan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes lots of gold found near Villa Rica, also a little to the north of there in the creeks feeding lake Alatoona. It Corps of Engineers land so panning only, but lots of Au left in Ga

Sportsman

Jan 3, 2013
Greetings. I'm also relatively new here and panned for the first time just two months ago. You can learn a lot by just reading here and YouTube, Gold Fever, etc. although I recommend a local club if available. My first trip yielded no color because I was in the wrong place but did get black sand. I took the advice here of using small lead shavings from fishing weights and practicing to see if I could hold them. That gave me confidence and my panning is now MUCH faster and I'm getting fine flour gold. The harder part for me was learning to quickly distinguish between mica, pyrite, and gold. Not having gold in my sample made it harder and for that reason I did consider buying a bag of dirt. Once I started digging in the right place (same river) and found gold, the confusion was gone.

Good luck!

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you think it would be concentrated in villa rica or could it be anywhere in the county? im not sure if it has to be exactly around that fault line or not. I will tell you that if you are familiar with the area I grew up in whitesburg and I swear on EVERYTHING that when I was a child I found a white rock with a huge chunk of gold on it right behind the elementary school. I was a kid and didnt know anything about value back then lol but I will never forget what it looked like. I took it back to my grandparents house and never saw it again, but that was carroll county also. I now know that it was quartz:BangHead:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome 1849,
wanna get the old man out? Join a club as Oakview2 said, get some gold yourself and show it to him. He'll be packed and ready to go before you get into the truck. Nothing like visual aids to get the intrest moving!

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha yeah I bet he would get out then. I tried looking on here for a local club. I guess i'll have to do some more research to find one. I would love to join a club. I just dont have the money right now for anything expensive. Ive been going through a hard time lately after my injury, but I would really like to get back in some fresh air and enjoy a new hobby. I love metal detecting and just recently got interested in panning. I read a lot about villa rica's gold history and thought it would be a nice adventure lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread