Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I tried.

my bank had none. someone bought all of them and they will not order a box.
my other bank had 3 rolls. took those but they will not order any boxes for me. only 1/2s will be whatever is brought in.

next bank had 2 rolls. took those --all useless. asked if they would order a box and they said no.

Not one good one in the small bunch.

2 BIG banks left in my area. I will try those but I get the feeling that it is useless. might be finding a different little old hobby!
smiley.gif

I was so psyched when I hit the road this morning. What a huge letdown real fast and I get that feeling of finding 1/2s is going to be impossible.

Anyone else start off this bad? ho hum

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
search pennies for the wheat cents and nickels for the buffalo nickels, those are fun :)

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I would try calling the banks and telling whoever answers that you'd like to place a change order, at which point they should connect you to the vault/merchant teller and you can ask them. I have found that if I ask whatever teller I get in the branch I often get told no, but if I ask to speak to the vault teller (either in person or by phone) they will say yes. I also have had better luck with the big banks ordering than smaller banks.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
As far as boxes go, I get 3 or 4 a week and haven't found a thing in over a month. The last silver halfs I found were 4 in one roll when I bought 14 rolls of dumps. I would try nickels and dimes, to at least find something, while you are asking for halfs. Banks near shopping malls usually have extra boxes of dimes and nickels on hand or you will find banks that will order them for you. I always tell them I am a coin collector, which I am, because with so many people looking for silver any more I think it turns them off. I bring in my books every once in a while to show them. At least dimes and nickels cover my gas expenses while looking for halfs. I usually find 1 war nickel and 2 dimes on average per box. I also like to have the nickels and dimes mixed in with my halfs when I am dumping. Just keep asking whenever you have the chance and sooner or later it will come.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is really hit or miss. You have to keep trying if you want to go somewhere in this hobby. Try calling those banks once a week and just pick up whatever they have...

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Shouldn't give up so quick there Farmerchick. I started this hobby little over a month ago myself, and found my first loose 40% last week. Found another today. I started with my bank I've been with many yrs and they would not order halves either. About 7 branches of my bank in the area, started hitting them regularly,asking for halves and picking up dime boxes, nickel boxes, customer wrapped rolls whatever I could afford to get. Started going to banks I have no account with, eventually found one that would order halves, then another, and another. Getting to be a regular in these banks, and they see me coming and have any loose halves or big dollar coins in their hand ready for me. When I first started I thought that there were NO halves in this town, I know better now. Hang in there, it's out there as they say.

PS. There is more value in some of these coins than just silver. Look for the odd or unusual or out of place, might find something worth more than silver.

Last edited:

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ME!!!! First day niching, then I got 3 40% with in a week after that almost 4k no silver.go to another bank one you don't go to ask them if they will order halts for you if you open an cacti with them. Good luck.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS all you made me feel better. it got me down. I am glad Frankendime also has this experience.

dimes. good default but my mind was on those halves

I won't be giving up just yet. I will find those 1/2s come heck or high water

thanks for the posts they helped me cheer up a bit :) :)

and I was surprised how much those 5 measly rolls weighed in my purse. you guys doing so many the weight must be crazy heavy lol

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 half dollar boxes under each arm is how it's done :headbang:
You'll get the hang of it, soon, your purse will become a canvas bag, and will be loaded with 50 pounds of coins :)
I don't know how them banks are down south, but up north they have these mystical coin counters that can count $1,000 in half dollars in under 5 minutes, no re-rolling required.

HH(Happy hunting)
Buff

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I have been checking for banks with coin counters. NONE in my area. closest is a good drive in a direction I never head. UGH
and hubbys CU doesn't even have one. I am not a coinstar fan cause I don't want to pay that cost lol
I did an online search for banks in my area with counters. I was not happy when none showed in my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread