Newbie in FL - where to go?

digger89

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2005
South Florida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; PI PRO
I live in palm beach and plan to pick up my first MD at Wal-Mart tomorrow, and get to the hunting. Anyone have some advice on which beaches/parks one can search in SoFL -- do you need to do a bunch of legal research first, or do you generally just start doing your thing and wait for someone to give you the boot?
Any other advice for a first timer?

Upvote 0
J

Justin L

I'm over in Cape Coral and as far as I know, detecting Florida beaches(most of them anyway) is not a problem. There is one beach near me that has a sign saying you can only detect from the "high tide line to the shore line". Other than that, if it's a state park beach, you can only detect from the "dune line to the shoreline". Still check with the park manager before you go if it is a state park, some of them may be off limits to detectors.

For parks and schools in your area, you can always check at the town hall or police department but I don't think you'll have a problem.

P

Pooley

Instead of walmart why dont you check kellyco websight. they have some good prices on detectors. As far as where to go, I like to hunt schools and old houses and parks. Old swimming holes are good, been over to Vero Beach a few times but have not had any luck there at all.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
generally public schools and local parks are usually ok to hunt. federal land is always off limits and at state parks you need to ask. for private property ALWAYS obtain permission. it is no good to hunt first and wait for someone to tell you to leave. there are already enough laws restricting metal detecting and people who hunt without permission contribute to more restrictions being put in place. always fill your holes and take trash with you. POOLEY offers some good advice with the kellyco comment. you can get a good deal on a quality detector there. dont just buy the first detector you come across.......they are not all created equal! good luck hunting and dont forget to post your finds!

C

chrisaller4470

I would definitely go to the website WWW.KELLYCODETECTORS.COM. I just got a garrett ACE 250 detector and what a GREAT detector it is. Kellyco also gives you a free bonus package including free UPS shipping overnight to us here in Florida. I was living in vero beach, and you can detect at the beaches there, without anyone bugging you. i would read the beach rules sign just to make sure you can detect at the perticular beach you go to. Also melbourne beach, is a great place to go. i just go and if I get questioned I do as asked....

P

Pooley

I have had an ACE250 for about 1 month now and love it. Great detector for the price and they go deep. Have found coins at 8"+

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have to agree with these guys, in my opinion the garrett ace 250 is the best machine available for the money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions