Newbie in need of advice

RelicJedi

Dec 30, 2005
I am thinking about getting a detector in a couple of months. I have never used one before and would like to know which detector would be a good one for me to start out with. My knowledge in regards to metal detectors in very limited and I hope someone can shed some light on the subject for me. I have been reading some of the posts and I have seen some of yall's finds and hope to find some interesting relics myself. I live in the Northern part of Mississippi next to Memphis so I might find more Native American stuff than anything else. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Thanks

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The Garrett Ace 250.

I'm a Tesoro man now but for measly $200 you can have a class machine.

If you have more money to spend I'd recommend one of the Tesoro models. I'm fast believing it's hard to beat.

I own the DeLeon because of it's awesome identification meter and excellent depth. You can get the DeLeon for about $500 with a coil cover. The next model recommend is the Cortes. It will run you about $700.

Buy the best you can afford. Learn on a good machine. And too if you discover this isn't for you, Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, Minelab, etc., have excellent resale value.

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
what price range are you thinking of? have you looked at any that intrest you?
welcome to the forum also.

HH ? Mark

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i agree with zeb. there are machines out there that are better.......but not for $200. the ace 250 is a whole lot of machine for that price!

OP
OP
R

RelicJedi

Dec 30, 2005
I have looked at the White detectors and the Bounty Hunter detectors. My budget will be about $200 right now. Being a Southern lad I have looked at Walmart.com and they have some that fit my price range ;D. Perhaps someone could look at those and give me their opinion on them? I really have no idea what brand to shop for or where to get one for that matter. Walmart seemed like the right thing to do ;).

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
in the $200 price range the ace 250 is unbeatable hands down! compare features if you wish. www.garrett.com there just isnt another machine that can compete with the features for the money. check it out.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
The Garrett Ace 250 really is your best deal.
You can find unknown maker detectors at places like WalMart and Radio Shack, but they will not be better than the Garrett for the money.
If you go with a $60-$100 bottom of the barrel detector, you will have no resale value, and basically lose your money. If you drop $200-$300, the Garrett is the best in that price range by far. Its a lot for the money, and a top brand name, and you will not grow out of it overnight.
Hugger

B

brz

If you go with the ace 250 you won't be sorry, its the best machine for the money and easy to learn also ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
And too, I recommend buying it from an online disturbutor known as KellyCo Metal Detectors. However, you can get it from many other sources as well. If you have a dealer near you that could be even better.

KellyCo

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm

Just look up in the upper left hand conner and check the Garrett line of machines.

Garrett, like the other major brands, makes awesome machines.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? ?Try to find a dealer in your area. They may let you try out a few detectors. Most, not all, but most will be willing to answer your questions and help you out anyway they can. Most dealers are smart enough to know that by treating you right you'll probably be back when it's time to upgrade. And word of mouth is important to them also.
? ? ? Stay away from the big box stores.
? ? ? Find out if there is a detector club in your area. You can get lots of info from the members.
? ? ? Any of the "brand " name detectors in the same price range will be pretty close in how well they detect. Like many fishing lures that are made to catch more fishermen than fish, more bells and whistles does not necessarily make a better detector.
? ? ?Welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting. But be warned, it can be very addicting.? ;D
? ? ?Good luck and have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread