NEWBIE LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE!!

Brettdc45

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I am new to the group and the metal detector world, and really did not know just how big that world was. My wife and I have been doing some research on different detectors and are looking to spend under $300 for our first one.( Really cant go over that budget right now). I have been leaning toward the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. I had someone tell me that the BH Platinum my actually be a better detector for the money. From the research I have done I am still leaning towards the Land Ranger Pro. Am I missing something. I would love to get some more input. We live in WV but vacation in TN and Coastal Carolinas where im sure we will be doing plenty of metal detecting. Any information and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Here are some videos I put together that may help you. Best of luck!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: West Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state. Time permitting - you could also browse Sub-Forums: Tennessee, Sub-Forums: North Carolina and Sub-Forums: South Carolina.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet, the Land Ranger Pro is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. It comes with the DD coil and has options that other more expensive detectors have. It's only shortfall is that the pinpoint button may fail sooner or later. I had one and I still pinpoint the old fashioned way of swinging my coil over the target in an X-pattern) so I never used the pinpoint button. The Platinum is a good machine also, but I believe it comes with an smaller concentric coil. These will not work well in salt water or wet sandy beaches along the coast. The will work alright in the dry though. Are you a beep and dig person or would you be okay with an arrow pointing at a category to identify what a target might be or are you like me and like to see target ID numbers? Both your choices have TIDs. You will get many opinions, I must admit I have never used a Garrett but I have used a few brands. Mainly First Texas products (Bounty Hunter, Fisher Labs, & Teknetics). Both the LRP and Platinum are ultra light and have addition coils available.

Good Luck in whatever you and your wife choose. This is a great hobby.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum!
Following are a few of my suggestions.
Land Ranger Pro
Teknetics Omega 8000 version 6 used
Eurotek Pro
Best of luck with your decision!

OP
OP
B

Brettdc45

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this is going to be my first MD. So im probably going to be a beep and dig person for a while but I like the idea of being able to refer to the target ID numbers to learn as I go. With the LRP it seems to me that it kind of gives you the opportunity to do all of the above mentioned. I have looked at the Garrett's and the higher end models look great but in the price range im looking I felt like the LRP would be the better choice? Thanks for your response I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
B

Brettdc45

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the videos I will check them out along with the other suggestions

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well this is going to be my first MD. So im probably going to be a beep and dig person for a while but I like the idea of being able to refer to the target ID numbers to learn as I go. With the LRP it seems to me that it kind of gives you the opportunity to do all of the above mentioned. I have looked at the Garrett's and the higher end models look great but in the price range im looking I felt like the LRP would be the better choice? Thanks for your response I really appreciate it.

Not that the ID numbers are always lying... but you better get REAL GOOD in trusting them. This goes for even expensive machines. Depending upon how their lying in the ground, what's above / below it can give you a possible "false number". I know it's overused...but... JUST DIG IT ALL AND CHILL!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

We all start out digging everything, it is the best way for you to learn what your detector is telling you. I kept much of the trash I dug in the first few weeks and when I did not have time for a hunt, I'd throw many of the items in the yard (plus a few coins) and swing over them to practice. I also used to discriminate a lot. I'd disc out everything and notch nickels back in, little did I know that other coins besides zincolns rang up in this target segment. I am glad I did discriminated the first season though. I dug enough money for my el cheapo to pay for itself, a mid level detector, and finally a top of the line model. Now I disc. very little. The best teacher is experience. Again, good luck in what ever you chose.

Gravitytester

Feb 29, 2016
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab Excalibur I, Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I am new to the group and the metal detector world, and really did not know just how big that world was. My wife and I have been doing some research on different detectors and are looking to spend under $300 for our first one.( Really cant go over that budget right now). I have been leaning toward the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. I had someone tell me that the BH Platinum my actually be a better detector for the money. From the research I have done I am still leaning towards the Land Ranger Pro. Am I missing something. I would love to get some more input. We live in WV but vacation in TN and Coastal Carolinas where im sure we will be doing plenty of metal detecting. Any information and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Also check with the sponsers/vendors on the site and see what they may have in the way of used or demo units. May be able to get a lot more detector for the money buy getting a used one and it may still come with a warrenty. Call them up and tell them you are amember here and they will usually do what they can to work around your budget.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
As with anything, this can be an addictive hobby. Obviously, most of us on this site are deeply involved in the hobby. There are two possible outcomes from this point. (1) The detector will get used sporadically... that's it. (2.) You love the hobby, and want to upgrade.

If scenario (1) happens, you are good to go. If scenario (2) happens, you will sell the entry level detector, or keep it as a back up, and "find" the money for a more advanced machine.

I am speaking from experience. I started with the $200 BH... 2 months later $600 ATP, 3 months after that $1500 Deus! I have used the Deus religiously for 2.5 years.

Bottom line: If you are into the hobby, you will find the money, if not you are out $200, and get to play with your detector occasionally.

Best of luck to you sir, and do not hesitate to let me know if I can assist!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always buy the most detector for the money. I understand budgets and it took me six months to save money for my last detector. With that said, I would suggest you save a little more and purchase the White's Treasure Pro. That's a lot of detector for the money. It can be bought on sale for $369. Hope this helps! Enjoy the hobby! H Digs

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Brettdc45: The Kellyco website (they are a TN supporting vendor) offers a great deal of useful information on picking your first detector. Obviously, where you plan to use it (and what you plan to look for) must be considered when you make your decision.

Because people are constantly trading up, and some folks just abandon the hobby, there are often good buys on very slightly used detectors. That's something to consider as a way to get the most machine you can afford.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Kellyco and speak to one of the experts. Welcome to our forum, and enjoy yourself. Good hunting and good luck.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
glad to have you with us dude
here is my advice

1. forget the numbers, learn the sounds

2. you can no longer go to south carolina ( I go to the beaches there and want all the goodies for myself)

3. fill in your holes, take everything you dig with you

4. when you are detecting, take your wife so she can hold your beer ( no detectors have cupholders)

OP
OP
B

Brettdc45

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the advice guys. Im currently going through a ton of information and studying as much as I can to get what will best suit us. You all are great and we really appreciate it!!

OP
OP
B

Brettdc45

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always buy the most detector for the money. I understand budgets and it took me six months to save money for my last detector. With that said, I would suggest you save a little more and purchase the White's Treasure Pro. That's a lot of detector for the money. It can be bought on sale for $369. Hope this helps! Enjoy the hobby! H Digs

Loving the features on the Treasure Pro!! This may be the one. Thanks for the Suggestion.

OP
OP
B

Brettdc45

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad to have you with us dude
here is my advice

1. forget the numbers, learn the sounds

2. you can no longer go to south carolina ( I go to the beaches there and want all the goodies for myself)

3. fill in your holes, take everything you dig with you

4. when you are detecting, take your wife so she can hold your beer ( no detectors have cupholders)

MAN!!... If I knew there was beer drinkin to be done I would've gotten into this a long time ago.. haha Thanks for the advice my friend.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that budget I would get a good used detector myself, you'll get a way better detector and won't be wanting to upgrade right away and have a good backup detector when and if you decide to get a better one. HH

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In advance a warning:

I can't count the times I went out hunting and didn't find a danged thing but trash.

But, I'm addicted. I've spent one heck of a lot of money on machines over the last 35 years. At one time in the early 80's I had 9 machines, now I have 5, and next year may go with an XP just because I can.

Keep a tight grip on your budget. I'd say buy a used one first. I hate to say Craigslist, but with care you can do well there. Probably 3/4 of the people who buy detectors don't use them anymore, they get frustrated, disappointed, disillusioned.

If you in fact get the fever and stick with it, then over time you'll have a better idea of which type of machine best suits you. Each is different.

Check out the vendors here, and also look in the For Sale forum here. If you have time, certainly post questions about whatever machine you're looking at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread