newbie need help please

curious

Nov 16, 2009
I am new to metal detecting just got one for myself and daughter. Also had to get one for nephew who wants to hunt with us as well. I would also like to say how useful this site is, very informative and some great stories. Not really sure if i am posting this in the right spot but i live in kentucky. This is probably a dumb question but i don't know how to go about it. How does one get information on a property. I have a couple of places i can hunt that are relatives or friends of family. One is in hardin county has about a hundred acres and can also hunt 2 or 3 other farms in that area. The one property been told there are some kinda mounds on it. Also alot of arrowheads have been found mostly when it was farmed and field was plowed. Has not been farmed in about 5 years though. Another property i want to try to get some info on is leavenworth indiana. This property is a little outside of leavenworth but not in marengo. It is about 25 acres and has 2 newer houses on it. One built in 60's and other built last year. When they built the one last year the was a bunch of old bottles found when they dug the foundation. They looked like medicine bottles were glass and one still had a cork in it. There is also a old horse drawn wagon that is sitting on it. It is very grown up around it. I want to say maybe a tree going thru it also. The wagon tells me and bottles this property had something on it that you can no longer see today. I don't think any of these properties is some big cache but could be some old finds on it. Right now i have my kids interest they are both 14 by the way. Need to keep their interest if you know what i am saying. I can not get info from neighbors nobody knows much of anything around either of them.Anyone know how to get info on these properties or what to look for on them. Thanks for any help.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check with the local tax collectors office.

You can also try the historical society.

Doing an internet search for aerial photograghs of the area might help too.

Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

Good luck.

Looking forward to your finds (with plenty of pics, we like pics). :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

curious

Nov 16, 2009
Thanks willie. I will hit the tax office you are talking about. I did do a aerial and could see somethings. Is there anywhere you can go to get old aerial photos? I will post some pics. Going this weekend to hunt. There is also a old church with cemetary in back. I am not hunting cemetary but i am going to hit the church. It looks like it is about to fall in.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curious said:
Thanks willie. I will hit the tax office you are talking about. I did do a aerial and could see somethings. Is there anywhere you can go to get old aerial photos? I will post some pics. Going this weekend to hunt. There is also a old church with cemetary in back. I am not hunting cemetary but i am going to hit the church. It looks like it is about to fall in.
A couple links that might be helpful http://www.usgwarchives.org/ky/hardin/deeds.html

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kygenweb/kybiog/hardin.html

http://www.topozone.com/states/Kentucky.asp?county=Hardin&feature=Populated+Place

http://www.linkpendium.com/genealogy/USA/KY/Hardin/

OP
OP
C

curious

Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for the info willie. Went to leavenworth this weekend and hunted 25 acres. Did not find much. Kinda was surprised. There is a old wagon, was told it is a manure spreader that is horse drawn. Also a old well looks hand dug to me and had the limestone block around it, it is full of water. We did get into a trash pit and got to digging it and got some bottles, they where from the 40's and 50's. Kids thought they were pretty cool. Detectors worked very well. Got a lot of hits but just iron and old pull tabs. Left my detector to where it would pick up everthing. Actually it picked up a piece of steel about 13 inches in the ground, was pretty impressed. Kids had a good time. Been trying to teach them about some history about things. Need to find me a better spot next time. Hoping hardin county is better. Going to hit that in a few weeks, if the weather permits.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
most counties have a .gov website. check with your local county auditor for ownership of the land you want to hunt
and then ask the owner for permission.
good luck
Sniffer

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious, you can find that info at the court house.
If you want to have the time of your life with your family and your detectors, hunt
in places that have the highest chance of you finding something nice. Look for signs
in polwed fields such as pottery shards, broken glass, square nails and such.
The place you mentioned with the old bottles sounds hot.
You will find with experience these are among the best places to hunt.
You are lucky, my wife and teenage daughter think i am a dork for detecting.
Good luck.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Other sources that may be helpful:
Country historian (ask at your local library)
Librarian (ask for country history records--pics and text)
Planning Department of your town--for owners' names (though tax assessors office is better--as mentioned above).
You may also wish to consider joining a local Metal Detecting club if one exists nearby.
I understand about 14 year olds--keep them active in constructive activities--and bettter if you can participate with them.
Welcome to Treasure Net!!
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread