Newbie Needs a Detector

Wyseman

Feb 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & ACE 250

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Your question depends on what you want to look for, where you want to look and some other factors. Do you want target ID? No meter? Etc. There are a few detectors that would fit most everything but I would look at the Fisher F5 or Tesoro Vaquero first. Both are excellent detectors that perform very well. If I can help be of any furhter help please let me know.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
The Garret Ace 250 is a great starter machine. The Fisher F-2 is also a good machine.

You will be surprised how the lower end machines perform with the modern technology that have been incorporated into these amazing detectors.

If it was me, I would go with the Ace 250 because it comes with a large and small coil, and is very rugged. Although the Ace 250 has a very small screen and is hard to read for some people. A very close second would be the Fisher.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the white's prizm series are also very good "starter" machines. good luck

Sniffer

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
if i were you. stick with either whites, or garrett. they have been in bussiness the longest , you will get great service after the sale. no other companies will do this, they say they will. but thats as far as it goes. the new 5 id is a great machine. and so are the ace 250s. either way, you will be happy

OP
OP
Wyseman

Wyseman

Feb 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & ACE 250
Thanks for all the replys. I plan to shoot coin and relic hunt mostly in northwest Ohio but also use it at the beach once or twice on the east coast. Can anyone attest to the ace 250, F2 or Prizims in the salt?

thomas_miles25

Jan 25, 2008
Findlay, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon, Tesoro Tejon
I live in findlay i own two Tesoro detectors and would let u try one out if u would want get ahold of me!!!!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t own an ACE 250 but have seen and know of others who used them on MD DE beaches, not in the water and do fine. Actually one maniac with an ACE 250 did the best of three of us one day.

Ed D.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am also in the Northwest corner of OH in Williams County. I have two detector if you are close by we can get together and you can see how they work and try to get a idea about them. I am free this Sunday and then usually on the week ends. email me or PM me if intested....Matt

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
ALL good advice above.
If you want to save some of that cash, most people would recommend the Ace 250 which is just above $200. You could start with that then sell it when you are ready to move up. Good resale value.
If you can spend the whole $500 I'd go to either the X-Terra series, or maybe a slightly used White's MXT.

Here's a way to find local metal detecting clubs in your area.

Links to club lists are at the bottom of the page:

http://www.metaldet101.com/links.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread