newbie needs advice about what waterproof detector to get to use while diving..

zebraup

Greenie
Jan 22, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to metal detectors and would like any and all advice as to what kind/brand metal detector to get to use while diving?? I'm going to be hanging up my spurs on the racing venue in the next year or so and am looking to start diving alot more than just a couple of times a year, and would like to combine it with metal detecting.. thank you in advance for any help!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
CZ-20/21 goes deep in every way. Get the 10.5" coil option.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Excalibur II . Welcome aboard. HH! :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When I was diving & detecting, I preferred the Excaliber for the following reasons: The loud drawn out "boonngggs" are much more discernable in the noisy underwater world. Any diver knows there's a lot of air bubble noises, noisy regulators, around tight masks, etc...

I also tried the CZ-20, but I found that the silent search is a disadvantage for diving: I found myself subconsciously "holding my breath" (a diving no-no), to hear the quick fast beeps. Seemed easy to miss a fast short beep when exhaling (noisy bubbles).

Just my .02c

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a diver and have tried the PI's and some of the VLF's and have to agree on the Excal 1000 for diving. It is loud enough to hear through a dive hood and you don't have to cut a small hole in the hood for the ears to get cold water. The Excal with its iron mask will stop you from always going on point thinking you have a gold bar. There is no mistaking that low tone.

OOps, almost forgot to welcome you to the forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread