Newbie Needs Advice on Best Metal Detector

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
Greetings everyone. I stumbled across this site and would like to find lots of valuable coins and jewelry like you guys. I need some advice on what kind of detector to buy. I'd prefer to not spend over $200 if possible. I see Wal-Mart has one called a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 for $198. Is that a good one, or would someone out there have a decent used one for sale? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me....

Upvote 0

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
I started out with a discovery 2000, found My first coin with it
but that MD was very limited. Next bought the discovery 3300
on Ebay. Worked well and taught Me alot, but I wanted more.
Bought a Garrett GTI 2500 next-- love it and still learning it.
I know People with the Ace 250-- works well. Would have bypassed 2000
and 3300 for that one. I personally think you should buy the best you
can afford- -otherwise You'll be upgrading like Me!!! ;D
Minelab EXP II are now going for less since the new one that just
came out.
Also think the Whites DFX is a great MD- -course all of the arorementioned
are top of the line- including the Garrett 2500.
By the best -forget the rest!!!
One thing to remember- all take time to use to the full potential
and having a Detector and no place to detect is as bad as no
detector at all!!!
Good luck & HH

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
Bomber............Don't believe everything you hear. With 15,700+ Ebay transactions I can tell you that it's a great place to buy and sell things worldwide. I've been selling automotive publications-shop manuals, owner's manuals, old brochures, etc-on Ebay full time for over 4 years now and have met some great people in 30+ countries.........Dave

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
The Compadre by Tesoro is a great little machine for less than $200.00 everyday price. Tesoro gives excellent customer service. Hope it helps.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHKNHAK said:
The Compadre by Tesoro is a great little machine for less than $200.00 everyday price. Tesoro gives excellent customer service. Hope it helps.

Tesoro does make GREAT machines, as I use their Cortes, but I do not recommend the Compadre, I'd save a bit and get one of their mid-line detectores (DeLeon, which has TID!, vaquero or Tejon which have been proved to be some of the deepest machines on the market).

I had the Silver U for a few months, traded it off, I prefer a TID machine myself.

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
I took a spin over to Mike's Metal Detectors in Georgetown, Indiana this morning (in my 57 Chevy 2 door station wagon) and bought a Garrett Ace 250 and some headphones. I took it out in the back yard when I got home and found an old hatchet head. Any idea how old it is? It has a notch in it for pulling nails if that's a hint. Thanks again for the advice......

Attachments

• metal1 009.jpg
    metal1 009.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 358
  • metal1 017.jpg
    metal1 017.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 369
  • metal1 011.jpg
    metal1 011.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 357

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dont know how old, but judging from the rust, its been around a while. nice find. good luck with that ace. you made a good choice, its a great machine!

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
I went out in the back yard again after dinner and found a few more things, including a 4" tall bottle of "Edison Battery Oil" from "Thomas A. Edison Incorporated, Bloomfield, N.J. USA." How cool is that? Thanks again for your advice and support....

Attachments

• edisonbottle 022.jpg
    edisonbottle 022.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 320
  • edisonbottle 001.jpg
    edisonbottle 001.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 346
  • edisonbottle 004.jpg
    edisonbottle 004.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 347
  • edisonbottle 006.jpg
    edisonbottle 006.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 328
  • edisonbottle 027.jpg
    edisonbottle 027.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 301
  • edisonbottle 022.jpg
    edisonbottle 022.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 318
  • edisonbottle 006.jpg
    edisonbottle 006.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 313
  • edisonbottle 004.jpg
    edisonbottle 004.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 345
  • edisonbottle 001.jpg
    edisonbottle 001.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 339
  • edisonbottle 027.jpg
    edisonbottle 027.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 315

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ferrous mineral finds, thats all i found for 2 years till i figured out my dectector.

It`s to bad they put so much non-ferrous metals in man hole covers and fence posts.

Now get the non-ferous goodies ;D like manganese, copper, nickel, titanium, gold, platinum, zinc, and lead.
I think diamonds are also considered non-ferrous but don`t quote me on that ???

Can`t wait to see your pics ;)

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 250. Now don't leave your head phones where a dog could chew the end off of the cord. :D :D :D :D

Burdie

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! You're getting a lot of feedback on this one.

As for the axe head, I'd guess somewhere between 80 to 120 years old. I dig lots of axe heads from old lumber camps that look much like yours. Give her the electrolysis treatment and brush it down with a brass brush. Don't coat it with anything. It will look great. It's a part of the history of your home.

See my post on cleaning large objects with electrolysis (find it in "Cleaning and Preservation").

Badger

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Sorry that I didn't see this thread before. However, you went with what would have been my suggestion -- I got myself the Ace250 about 6 months ago, and find it is a great machine. However, I am still trying to find those "valuable coins and jewelry." If you are only interested in the monetary gains of this hobby, well, you may find yourself disappointed. If, rather, your thrill is in the hunting, you've made a great choice! With all the features of the Ace, you are off to a good start!

Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions