Newbie needs help for choosing a detector for gold

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a noob regarding the metal detectors, so please don't be too harsh with me. I need a detector to detect gold as accurate as possible at depths of at least 1,5-2 meters. The gold can be hidden in a ceramic pot, wood box, or under a big stone. The gold can be either coins or jewellery. My budget is limited to 1000-1500$. Any idea what detector should I buy? Thanks.

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say you would need a two box, deep seeking cache or industrial detector as most general detectors won't go that deep.
luvsdux

OP
OP
A

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But which would be the depth limit of a detector?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basically, your pooch is screwed. You can get to about a meter in depth with $6,000.00 (Minelab GPX 5000). You can get a two-box detector starting around $750.00 (Fisher Gemini), but that is probably a waste of money and time. Best of luck to you though.

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard the Garrett 2500 with the treasure hound box is decent. I've never used one so you might want to go on the Garrett forum and ask around. Like the previous post, the GPX is probably the best you're gonna get. Good luck and make sure you post pics of that treasure you find !!!!

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you wanna go big time your gonna have to get a GPR (ground penetrating radar) and that's the big $$$. Also cost a lot to dig it up.

OP
OP
A

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems everyone forgot about the pulse induction detectors. I need one with a decent discrimination. Any idea which one would fit my budget?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems everyone forgot about the pulse induction detectors. I need one with a decent discrimination. Any idea which one would fit my budget?

Gosh Al, the Pulse Induction detector was the second response. Of course, "discriminating with a PI is going to be, umm, tough. :laughing7: You need to do a LOT more homework my friend. You are a dealer's damp dream at this point.. :occasion14:

OP
OP
A

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said, the VLFs and the higher end PIs are of no interest to me, my budget is limited to 1500$. Some guys also recommended me to buy the Stinger2. But it seems it's produced under a bulgarian brand, are the bulgarian detectors reliable?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I said, the VLFs and the higher end PIs are of no interest to me, my budget is limited to 1500$. Some guys also recommended me to buy the Stinger2. But it seems it's produced under a bulgarian brand, are the bulgarian detectors reliable?

And as I said, with your budget, just buy some gold because 1.5-meters deep is a pipe dream.

OP
OP
A

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, then what depth should I stick to, according to my budget, 10 inch more or less? And the GPX-5000 isn't it good mostly for the gold nuggets? I don't search for nuggets mainly, but for coins and relics... Anyway, lets's say I would have a 7k budget. What is the best detector for gold coins and relics?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, then what depth should I stick to, according to my budget, 10 inch more or less? And the GPX-5000 isn't it good mostly for the gold nuggets? I don't search for nuggets mainly, but for coins and relics... Anyway, lets's say I would have a 7k budget. What is the best detector for gold coins and relics?

Minelab GPX 5000

OP
OP
A

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Terry. And one more noobish question - does the detector show you on its screen, the depth of the finding?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Terry. And one more noobish question - does the detector show you on its screen, the depth of the finding?

Nope. Signal strength and lifting the coil does that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Al, if you go get a nugget machine like some here are suggesting (to reach these crazy depths you are talking about): yes, there is no doubt that such nugget machines "go the deepest". They can reach an individual coin to nearly 2 ft. deep! And a toaster-sized object to 5 or more foot, and so forth. At first glance, that sounds like your dream machine, right? WRONG! You will be continually bedevilled by every single staple, push pin, birdshot pellet, nail, pinhead, etc.... They will all sound off "like the bells of notre dame". In any area of human habitation/history, you simply have no idea how much of this type stuff carpets the ground.

So if, as you say in your OP, your suspected objects are in "pots" or "wooden boxes", and .... assuming you truly are after those big-ticket items (and don't wish to be bothered by pesky individual coins, nails, pins, staples, etc..), then do as luvsdux says: Get a two-box unit. You can get a TM 808 very reasonably in the used market on Ebay. It will not pick up any object smaller than a soda can (or perhaps a fist sized object if you're tuned very finely/closely). It will find a jar sized item to perhaps 2 ft. deep, and a toaster sized item to 4 ft. And a volkswagon to 10 ft, and so forth. Yes it's true that standard coin and/or nugget machines can do as deeply, but as I say, if you're in an area of even modern junk, you will find yourself digging endless "small stuff". Even if you try to mentally tell yourself "I'll ignore all shallow or small stuff", you'll be perpetually bedevilled trying to second guess all the signals. Much better off to get a 2-box unit.

OP
OP
A

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so which should be the best 2 box detector on the market? I read about the Discovery TF-900, White's TM 800 & TM 808, but the first two models are out of production, and the last one seems to have less features, so do I have other better options?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

OK, so which should be the best 2 box detector on the market? I read about the Discovery TF-900, White's TM 800 & TM 808, but the first two models are out of production, and the last one seems to have less features, so do I have other better options?

The only one I've ever used, was the TM-808. It's my understanding that they're all about the same. But perhaps others could comment on this question.

I'll just say this though: That unlike standard detectors (for coins/jewelry), "more sensitive" is not a benefit for 2-box units. Because ironically, you DON'T want your 2-box machine to necessarily be "more sensitive". The whole point of the unit was/is to a) not see (ie.: not be sensitive enough) to find anything smaller than about a fist sized object or soda can), and b) to get those large targets deeply.

If a 2-box machine starts to be "sensitive enough" to find domino sized objects, then that begins to defeat one of the main purposes of even having the machine, to begin with.

So ironically, a 2-box machine from the 1950s or 1960s might be every bit as capable for the purpose it performs, as a modern one. Contrast this to regular coin/jewelry machines, where .... machines from the 1950s or '60s are DINASOURS. :laughing7:

OP
OP
A

al_pacino

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still in doubt. I have three options under 1500$: a 2-box detector (the White's TM-808), a pulse induction detector (the Garret Infinium LS) or even the Garret GTI 2500 Pro, with the Treasure Hound Depth Multiplier. All three can go deep, but which one is better on discrimination? Are they the same? And which one would be a better choice overall as a treasure finder?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread