Newbie Question about Pin Pointers

onepenny

Jun 24, 2014
Palo Alto Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. :hello: New to detecting after 40 years of not picking one up. WOW. big advancements since the mid 70's.
Looks like the "big 3" all have pin pointers. Was wondering if interference is a problem when you mix or match brands? Also, your opinion on the one you use. Not sure if I need a holster, was just going to use a nail sack.
I'm considering the Garrett pro-pointer. Will it work with a Whites coinmaster pro if left on ?
Thanks diggers in advance

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not swearing to this..... but I don't believe it makes any difference. I've used my Whites Bullseye II around many different brands with no problem.

NOTE: I believe Bigfoot1's "buddy" left one in the woods this past weekend. No since buying one.... just go pick his up!!!!!! Just kidding yeti man.... JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back! And welcome to T Net!

I have a Garrett pro pointer and a whites detector- M6, if I lay the pro pointer with in about 10" the detector will chatter a little. I turn the pro pointer off when its in the apron. I also use an apron and keep the pointer in one if the pockets, just make sure the pointer far enough in the pocket so you don't lose it.

You don't need to leave it on when it's in your apron pocket. When your using it just move it away from your detector a little, stops mine from chattering. If the pointer gets close to my digging tools then it goes off too, so you have to keep them a little separated anyhow.

Last edited:

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Pro Pointer comes with a holster. It is easy to use.
I'd be afraid of it falling out of the apron.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
$16 including holster at Harbor Freight. Works great.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just purchased a pro pointer myself. does great, but if i have my detector to discriminate iron such as nails and such, the pin pointer still picks them up.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drilled a small hole in the side of the battery compartment on my Pro Pointer and used a small self tapping screw to hold the end of a coiled key cord. Snap end of the cord hookes to your belt loops or other convenient spot so you can't lose or leave the pointer behind.
luvsdux

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most every base metal detector will respond to your pin pointer if situated to close. Most folks develop a routine when the need to use the pin pointer the coil of the main detector is situated out of range of the dig area and does not cause any problems once in use. Each and every one of my pin pointers have come with a matching holster so there should be no need to purchase that accessory extra unless you want one of those "digger-pointer combination holsters" then you will have to look at the after market items that are available. I prefer to just carry mine in my hand.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpointer should only be on whem needed..A machine wont interfere with it electronically. The pinpointer is for all metal. so if you think youve found you target..check again..i find mutiple pieces of metal sometimes looking for my target...good luck!

I hold both my digger and shovel in one hand..and swing with my other hand..much easier for recovery

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread