Newbie question for the guys who drive hours away?

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only go to local banks and at this point they don't like me anymore. I even have accounts at each of them. I have a box coming in tomorrow or Monday, not sure what to expect. I don't go every week.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everywhere for me is more than an hour away, some banks say I can't get any unless I have an account but most don't,although I only hunt halves and most of the tellers around here hate having the big coins so are glad to get rid of them.I have even found rolled Ikes although never found a silver in those still hoping though so I always buy them all.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda decide on a route based on how much cash I have, if there are enough dump banks in that area. About 85%, once I n that area, will call and ask for halves.. some do say they only exchange for members only but on occasion a sister branch will allow me to buy. Other 15% will stop at branch and ask.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the occasional hunt an hour away, but I never call ahead. Calling ahead could save you a trip but also allows a sniper teller time to pull out the silver. I have seen them do it when I am there at the teller window. The element of surprise can help result in a score from a teller who has some silver that the sniper teller is unaware of. Just my opinion. So, I just hit as many banks as possible whether I have an account or not. If they don't want to sell to Non-account holders, then I just don't go there next time. I do look for a place that has a bank I can dump coins at. On one hunt, I hit three banks at the beginning and collected $1100 in cwr halves (my whole bankroll) and they were a skunk. So, I went through them all in the car, rewrapped them and dropped them at a dump bank in the town. At the fourth bank of the day, I hit 4-solid rolls of 90% and 40% halves. The other 10 banks yielded a few silvers, but I was glad I didn't just go home after the bankroll was gone the first time.

Good luck hunting.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are fish in every lake----if yer' on shore, just walk to a new spot. or if ya' gots a boat ---move a few yards. no need to drive to another lake. the money lake is really big so catching a lunker will happen. my biggest large mouth bass (27 1/2" with a head 11' long) hit the Heddon Chugger Spook in 8 inches of water and 5 feet from shore at sunset __________________ THAT WAS A LESSON REMEMBERED :laughing7::laughing7: this also applies to fishin' fer silver 8-)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In the earlier part of this decade, I'd take a couple grand and drive at times to cities with a lot of banks within a hundred mile radius of home. I would buy up all I could find in halves and dimes. Maybe one bank in 25 would ask for an account number. Search some rolls on the road to keep up my enthusiasm. Ahhhhh, those were the days.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the earlier part of this decade, I'd take a couple grand and drive at times to cities with a lot of banks within a hundred mile radius of home. I would buy up all I could find in halves and dimes. Maybe one bank in 25 would ask for an account number. Search some rolls on the road to keep up my enthusiasm. Ahhhhh, those were the days.

I would do much the same as fistfulladirt did. Now I can't afford to do it anymore and TD pulled the coin machines so that killed it for me.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the only hunting I do now, but I live in an area where banks are everywhere. I don't order boxes anymore. I just rotate the towns I visit every couple weeks this way I'm not bothering the tellers. Not everyone has the same set up. Try to figure out your area and take note of where you find a good amount of silver. Silver coins can be brought to any bank I just try to remember the ones I find a good amount at because I know the tellers aren't sniping

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread