baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for just a few months and have a new ACE 250. I have two questions.

1. Why is it that I will get a signal and then when I go back over it, it is gone? Does it need to be repeatable to dig it?
2. In our area the parks and ballfields are covered in bermuda grass which has a really tough root system. I know how to cut a plug, but can't manage to do it in the dry bermuda. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much. I LOVE this site and have learned so much from everyone. I am definitely hooked and it is driving my husband crazy! I recently found out that before I was born, (many, many years ago), my dad had a detector and took my sister to the beach to look for coins. Can the love for hunting treasure be an inherited trait??? HH--baylorhall

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1. Your describing "false signals" which are rather random in nature and there for never repeatable. Try to lower sensitivity.
Yes most "good" signals are repeatable at least from one direction. :thumbsup:

2. Have you looked at the Lesche line of diggers? They seem very popular in the US, in Europe Black Ada is rather popular. :thumbsup:'
A good quality sharp digger is what you want I guess. I can also add that dry grass in general is rather hard to dig in if your digger ain't sharp enough. :)

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Welcome to the hobby.
Yeah, it's easy to get hooked.

I find GENERALLY if you turn 90 degrees and lose the signal that most of the time it's junk,
like a piece of wire or something.
As a Newbie, it's often best to dig everything - for a while anyway - and you can see that most coins, being symmetrical, will give the same signal no matter how you approach it.

For digging - if most of the targets are shallow, I use a simple weeder. It makes a smaller hole, and is sharp enough to cut the grass. The Leshe is a good tool too.

Here's a way to find local metal detecting clubs in your area.

Links to club lists are at the bottom of the page:

http://www.metaldet101.com/links.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread