Newbie question

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think is the best placer gold recovery method is? Besides dredging. I was thinking about buying a mini Highbanker, or building one. Is there an optimum sluice length and width? I found a recirculating Highbanker that is 6 inches wide an 30 inches long, but I’m not confident in such a small unit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have a prospecting trip planned in a about 2 weeks or less.

Thanks guys/girls.

Upvote 0

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi. I dont know anything about highbankers but my dad and i habe a gold cube whick is great at catching the fine gold but is slow work unless you get the top for it which screens and washes the material like a highbanker. I have wanted a highbanker with goldhog mats for awhile but dont have the money now. Gold hog mats get amazing reviews and are supposed to be excellent but i have never used them before.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you think is the best placer gold recovery method is?

No doubt you're going to get a variety of responses. Much depends on where
the deposit is located (easy access?) and what restrictions exist for equipment.

If equipment wasn't an issue, I'd go with a trommel/sluice set-up so I could
run the maximum amount of material each day.

:happy1:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The mini you mentioned is pretty small. Doc makes this one and if I were to build a mini it would be patterned just as his is. http://www.goldhog.com/mini_highbanker.htm *

Good luck

*Just in case you don't know Gold Hog is probably the most respected equipment on the market today for non commercial ops.

Last edited:

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A 6"x30" is going to be too small to drop full shovel loads of dirt into, but it might be the perfect unit if you are going to use it someplace that you have to hike into and out of. You'd have to feed it with a scoop or slowly with a shovel. If you can drive right up to your dig site in a pickup truck, you will benefit from a larger unit.

The perfect method is dictated by the area you're working.

Got gold in a gravel bar and a good stream a few feet away? Use a stream sluice.
Dry desert wash in the middle of the Mohave? A drywasher will be best.
Etc. etc.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you think is the best placer gold recovery method is? Besides dredging. I was thinking about buying a mini Highbanker, or building one. Is there an optimum sluice length and width? I found a recirculating Highbanker that is 6 inches wide an 30 inches long, but I’m not confident in such a small unit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have a prospecting trip planned in a about 2 weeks or less.

Thanks guys/girls.

Best placer recovery tool is you, no equipment can compensate for lack of experience, if you can't find it with a pan forget it. Let reality of what you are finding determine what tools you need.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best placer recovery tool is you, no equipment can compensate for lack of experience, if you can't find it with a pan forget it. Let reality of what you are finding determine what tools you need.[/QUOTE

I agree, if you do start finding it in the pan take another look at what Hamfist said, he was right for sure.

Charlie

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shovel...cheap sluice box....lot's of buckets.....good back. Like mentioned above location, location, location. You have a couple weeks to search some video's and in all reality you should go out where you plan to go and stop now and then if you see somebody mining along the way....and just like fishing, ask what they're biting on. I live on our 40-acre mining claim and depending on the time of year, weather, lower back, creek flowage...and attitude I use anything between a Kubota backhoe, 5inch dredge, backwoods rock sucking 2 1/2 inch power sluice and a putty knife for scrapping moss. Take what you can find in the Dollar Store for a first trip.

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with arizau. You can't go wrong with Gold Hog products. I'm considering the Gold Hog Mini Highbanker myself.

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put together a 50 inch long by 9 inches wide back pack sluice and I am adding a 12 volt Highbanker. Here is the sluice without rifles. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521502428.413860.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521502482.683882.jpg

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t like asking simple questions but I’m green so here I go. My grandfather left me some prospecting equipment and I want to run it properly as well as identify it. Here are a couple pics. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521502654.873414.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521502671.053002.jpg

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info btw. I get that I’m the best recovery gear I got, I wouldn’t ask if I new the tools I need depending the situation. Thank you mendAu and jsulateskee, dizzydigger and all the rest for the specifics.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
That's not prospecting equipment, it's mining equipment.
You use prospecting equipment to find a deposit, & mining equipment to remove a deposit.
As long as you are working near water a couple of gold pans, a couple of shovels, a pick, & a nice factory made sluice box (I like Angus MacKirk. Fast & easy to setup/clean) is what you need for your trip in 2 weeks. If you find a spot that interests you then a portable dredge or highbanker (as the deposit & terrain dictates) may be the next step.
THEN when that shows good results grandpa's gear8-)

I'd love to see some pics of what he left you. Really cool inheritance! Especially when you think of him running it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was an interesting guy, spent a bunch of time in the superstitions. He made quite a bit of money in life. I’ve sampled 2 areas extensively in the past 2 weeks. Found a spot nobody has been since the late 80’s as its on private property, found enough color to justify a return. I’m putting that spiral Trommel on axles to pull it behind a truck. I guess figuring out the proper angles to run it will be trial and error.

I’ll start taking pics of my trips. I love building things, been a welder for 20years. It’s absolutely crazy what people/companies charge for equipment. I’ll have to check out that Angus Mackirk. I payed $80 for my backpack sluice 50x9x4 and 14 inches folded. I think It’s a prospectors choice.

I’m having a ton of fun hiking and exploring

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are investing in a hi-banker you might as well do the ole hybrid approach. Dredge Banker would be nice. Suck it off the bottom and feed it to the banker.

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great idea my friend, I wish I could use a dredge where I am. California outlawed them as far as I know. If there is a work around I’m down to try it.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I’m putting that spiral Trommel on axles to pull it behind a truck. I guess figuring out the proper angles to run it will be trial and error.

I’ll start taking pics of my trips. I love building things, been a welder for 20years. It’s absolutely crazy what people/companies charge for equipment. I’ll have to check out that Angus Mackirk. I payed $80 for my backpack sluice 50x9x4 and 14 inches folded. I think It’s a prospectors choice.

I too enjoy fabricating & would love to see your project as you go.
The sluice you have should work fine for now.
Looking forward to the pics!

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as for angle on spiral sluice I would gues starting at 10 degree slope would be good start. if their are no breaks in the spiral you get the gold and some black sand. if you get blond saands keep steeping it. and how big rocks are you going to put in it? guessing 30 degrees will be about right maybe steeper. but its good idewa oif the waste side has a grizzle and all the fines go into a sluice just to be sure water running down tromal therefor does double duty

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
How big is the spiral trommel? It's hard to tell in the pics. I guessing the whole unit is maybe 28-32" across? I'd love to see pics of how it sets up etc.

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is about 3 feet across and almost 5 deep, I’ll post exact measurements tomorrow. Sorry for the delay my nephew broke his face on a golf club and I’ve been with him as he had to have surgery. I can’t wait to post more pics. I found a nice axle with leaf springs I am going to install it on. It is way to heavy to lift or manipulate by hand.

Seafox I am taking the basket out of an old washing machine sitting around and am going to install it to catch the rocks for the grizzly. I am also going to install a washing bar. I wonder, do you think it will still separate if it is completely dry pay dirt and classified material? 30 degrees sounds like great starting point thank you. Thank you for the pointers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread