Newbie Question

Simester

Apr 11, 2024
Hi, I'm brand new to this site and to metal detecting in general (so forgive me if this is the wrong group for this question).
I just purchased the Dr. Otek MTXR and I am finding it difficult to see the screen because it is facing straight up the arm (toward the shoulder) that is holding it and not toward my face.
Is this a common issue or is there some hack people do to correct it?
Thanks

Upvote 1

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand the issue. Since your face sits above the top of your arm, if the faces your arm/shoulder, it also faces your eyes. If it's slanted a bit, try changing your grip. If it's glare, get an anti-glare screen protector or something. I think all detector screens face pretty much straight in line with the shaft and handle.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see of the detector, it's configuration set up is same as other manufacturers, your arm should be at about 45 degree angle in front if you which puts screen in your line of sight. Is it glare, if so you can use polarized sunglasses.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Simester,
Welocome to the "Show"!
The Dr. Otek MTXR claims to have one of the largest digital screens available, but I agree due to its location on the rod it may be hard to view, especially in the sun.
They show no accessories to change its location other than to adjust it to its highest position on the rod.
I suppose on could build an addapter to raise it closer?
Metal Det_.jpg

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see of the detector, it's configuration set up is same as other manufacturers, your arm should be at about 45 degree angle in front if you which puts screen in your line of sight. Is it glare, if so you can use polarized sunglasses.
Not familiar with your machine, but for my Legend I found flip-up polarized sunglasses to be the best choice. Sometimes the screen is hard to read well due to the glasses. Quick flip up and down, good to go.

OP
OP
S

Simester

Apr 11, 2024
I don't understand the issue. Since your face sits above the top of your arm, if the faces your arm/shoulder, it also faces your eyes. If it's slanted a bit, try changing your grip. If it's glare, get an anti-glare screen protector or something. I think all detector screens face pretty much straight in line with the shaft and handle.

And, welcome to the forum. You'll find that there is no wrong question here. Except maybe "What manufacturer makes the best detector?".:BangHead:
Thanks!
(Note to self...)

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Screen orientation has at times been an annoyance of mine.
I dont know if its done on purpose or coincidence, but im left handed and often find screens just slightly turned or set to face left a tiny bit. That gives an advantage to right handers but doesn't give anything, in fact its a hindrance to me being left handed as that angles it a smidge away from my gaze. I have never come across one that is angled right. Many dead centre or angled left, but never right.
I think though the most annoying one is on my new AlgoForce, sunlight doesn't affect it, there's just too much going on on a small screen and im having to carry reader glasses with me to see what some of the tiny icons are. Its a pain in the butt! First screen iv had that issue with. Terra 705 and Garrett 24k zero issues reading anything.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I understand the problem. I encounter similar when I mount the RC on the stalk. It's made me wonder why no mfr. has put a swivel to allow tilting of an RC/screen.

I'm not familiar with the Otek; is there any way to modify or 3D print some type of adapter?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I understand the problem. I encounter similar when I mount the RC on the stalk. It's made me wonder why no mfr. has put a swivel to allow tilting of an RC/screen.

I'm not familiar with the Otek; is there any way to modify or 3D print some type of adapter?
you should really check out the RCDIGS mounts for the Deus, he has made an adapter for his Deus 2 mount that allows you to use it with the Deus 1 and ORX controller, its an adapter that allows you to slide the Deus 1 or ORX into his Deus 2 mount you can select Right hand Left Hand or straight up I went with the Right hand one and it works great it literally faces the controller towards you to make it easier to see

Sorry just realized you have the Deus 2 detector but the RCDIGS mount for the Deus 2 still applies

Attachments

• RCDIGS Deus 2 Mount with adapter.jpg
    RCDIGS Deus 2 Mount with adapter.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
S

Simester

Apr 11, 2024
Something like this, to offset the screen from the main shaft, would be great:
1000026247.png

When I used to kayak fish, I had a mount like this for the fishing rod holder: