NEWBIE: Spectra V3i or Minelab E-Trac?

OmniAaron

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2018
Sewanee, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello (new) friends!

I know this is a touchy subject (not trying to pick a fight), but I’m trying to do my due-diligence to buy my first metal detector—something I’ve wanted since childhood. My first instinct is that “you get what you pay for.”

I understand that the White’s Spectra V3i has a steep learning curve, and the Minelab E-Trac is commonly said to be ready out-of-the-box (yet other White’s users will say that it is, too, if you use the factory default settings).

Most often, it seems I hear that the E-Trac is the silver coin slayer, but how does it fare otherwise with relics, gold, etc.? On the other hand, is White’s Spectra truly capable of “anything” so long as you tweak the settings (that being the huge learning curve)?

Although I’m a beginner, I’m thinking one of these will satisfy long term, but I’d love feedback... And I suppose oftentimes it boils down to FINDS and LOCATION.

What do you think? Thanks.

-Aaron

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard---Both very good machines :icon_thumleft:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome

I think only you can answer the question of which one is the right machine for you. Both are excellent machines, both can be fairly simple to run, and both have a learning curve.

I had the Etrac but didn't care much for it. For me the balance was wrong and it just wasn't an intuitive machine. I traded it in for the CTX 3030 – better balance but I still didn't care much for it. I ended up selling the CTX 3030 and bought the V3i.

I really didn't give either Minelab machine a fair shake, but they just weren't the right machines for me.

The V3i is the right machine for me – for whatever reason. I like the balance, love the screen (awesome screen) and understand its language. I just clicked with the V3i and have purchased 4 other Whites machines since, and love all 4 of them too.

Others have had the opposite experiences – going from a Whites machine into the Erac and they absolutely love their choice.

My experience with the Etrac was awhile ago (6 - 7 years) and fairly limited, but I don't believe it was all that capable as far as relic hunting goes. I don't believe I ever found any jewelry with it, so I can't really say how it does on gold. I think someone with a lot more experience (on the Etrac) can give you a much better answer to those questions.

Yes, the V3i can be configured to fit just about any condition/need. Nearly everything is changeable, so it can be tuned for the occasion. Be careful though – that ability is both a blessing and a curse, as the wrong setting will make the machine much worse than the stock programs. (You can reset the V3i to factory setting quite easily – so it's easy to undo operator errors)

If you're serious about the V3i, I'd recommend a visit to Whites' own forums: pay close attention to the sticky posts as they'll provide answers to just about any question you could possibly ask.

If you do choose the V3i, I'd highly recommend the wireless headphones; they're great and they make digging so much less of a hassle.

I would also strongly recommend that you try swinging both machines before deciding. Go to a local dealer, ask a friend, join a metal detecting club... In fact I'd suggest that you swing a bunch of different machines, so you get a feel for how they work.

If possible, try to figure out what you'll hunt for most. Silver coins? Jewelry? Clad? Relics? Nuggets?

Figure that out and you can narrow your potential choices (for a machine) considerably. I mention that because you asked about relics and if I were a serious relic hunter I'd look at some different machines.

It's not that the V3i can't find relics (it can) or that the Etrac can't (I'm sure it can), but there are machines that are more tailored to that aspect.

No matter which machine you choose – Good Luck and have fun.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome

I think only you can answer the question of which one is the right machine for you. Both are excellent machines, both can be fairly simple to run, and both have a learning curve.

I had the Etrac but didn't care much for it. For me the balance was wrong and it just wasn't an intuitive machine. I traded it in for the CTX 3030 – better balance but I still didn't care much for it. I ended up selling the CTX 3030 and bought the V3i.

I really didn't give either Minelab machine a fair shake, but they just weren't the right machines for me.

The V3i is the right machine for me – for whatever reason. I like the balance, love the screen (awesome screen) and understand its language. I just clicked with the V3i and have purchased 4 other Whites machines since, and love all 4 of them too.

Others have had the opposite experiences – going from a Whites machine into the Erac and they absolutely love their choice.

My experience with the Etrac was awhile ago (6 - 7 years) and fairly limited, but I don't believe it was all that capable as far as relic hunting goes. I don't believe I ever found any jewelry with it, so I can't really say how it does on gold. I think someone with a lot more experience (on the Etrac) can give you a much better answer to those questions.

Yes, the V3i can be configured to fit just about any condition/need. Nearly everything is changeable, so it can be tuned for the occasion. Be careful though – that ability is both a blessing and a curse, as the wrong setting will make the machine much worse than the stock programs. (You can reset the V3i to factory setting quite easily – so it's easy to undo operator errors)

If you're serious about the V3i, I'd recommend a visit to Whites' own forums: pay close attention to the sticky posts as they'll provide answers to just about any question you could possibly ask.

If you do choose the V3i, I'd highly recommend the wireless headphones; they're great and they make digging so much less of a hassle.

I would also strongly recommend that you try swinging both machines before deciding. Go to a local dealer, ask a friend, join a metal detecting club... In fact I'd suggest that you swing a bunch of different machines, so you get a feel for how they work.

If possible, try to figure out what you'll hunt for most. Silver coins? Jewelry? Clad? Relics? Nuggets?

Figure that out and you can narrow your potential choices (for a machine) considerably. I mention that because you asked about relics and if I were a serious relic hunter I'd look at some different machines.

It's not that the V3i can't find relics (it can) or that the Etrac can't (I'm sure it can), but there are machines that are more tailored to that aspect.

No matter which machine you choose – Good Luck and have fun.

This is about all you need to know. Great post.

OP
OP
O

OmniAaron

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2018
Sewanee, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is about all you need to know. Great post.

No joke! Wow!
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback already!
I think I'm leaning toward the Spectra V3i (although the Minelab E-Trac is certainly good, too).
Should only be a couple months more before I save all the pennies needed. ;)

Anyone know of a good seller who bundles other good essentials with it?

Thanks again!
-Aaron

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No joke! Wow!
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback already!
I think I'm leaning toward the Spectra V3i (although the Minelab E-Trac is certainly good, too).
Should only be a couple months more before I save all the pennies needed. ;)

Anyone know of a good seller who bundles other good essentials with it?

Thanks again!
-Aaron

If you're buying online, go with one of the forum sponsors. They'll take good care of you.

Three that I highly recommend:

Backwoods Metal Detectors - Richard
Indian Nations - Chuck
Big Boys Hobbies - Bart

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3i is more consistent across the board than FBS machines. FBS machines don't do as well on low conductors, particularly small low conductors. FBS machines also split their power among so many different signals. The V3i does too in multifrequency mode, but you can also switch to single frequency mode and throw all that power behind one signal. I also like how the V3i processes and filters each signal separately. It's a machine that was ahead of its time. Definitely get the ultimate 13 coil for it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the v3i. Can't help there. Look at all the major manufacturers. Consider the type of detecting you want to do. Consider your price range. How's your soil? Lots of stuff to consider. I have a Tesoro and a XP Deus right now. Both have done very, very well, and there is a $1k difference in the cost between them. Both "paid" for themselves within 3 months of purchase, but I don't sell my finds, so it's a guestimate. If at all possible, join a club or meet up with some folks who can let you use their machines or at least see how they work. Try to demo a machine if at all possible, whichever one you go with.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at all the major manufacturers. Consider the type of detecting you want to do. Consider your price range. How's your soil? Lots of stuff to consider...

Had a V3i I could not find an ingot of gold if I tripped over one with the coil. This was before I got into water hunting.

Many camps. on what machine to choose. If you like water detecting then neither of what you selected.
This is the Chevy vs. Ford, Nikon vs. Canon type of discussion. ‘Smokey said it best about points to consider.

In the end it’s about finding treasure.

Can the V3i DO a ton of stuff ? YES
Did the V3i do it for me? Absolutely not, it felt that I needed a doctoral thesis in programming before I can get a coin out of the ground. White’s factory folks are very nice if you ever need service.

I have a ton of machines that I use for different environments but I removed Whites V3i Aout of my collection because it frustrated me more then any other machine I have ever owned and I have owned a ton! With all the machines I own I am still looking at another...Minelab Equinox..IF it ever comes out..

Cheers, Good luck and Welcome to our forum! Glad you’re here!

2137BFD4-99EE-4BC9-884A-EBE04F590D2B.jpeg
09D13FB4-E730-496B-92AA-1FA41AA20E3C.jpeg

OP
OP
O

OmniAaron

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2018
Sewanee, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're buying online, go with one of the forum sponsors. They'll take good care of you.

OMG! I'm having such a hard time choosing. I mean, how does the AT Pro compare (besides half the price)?! I know I'd LOVE to find historical relics, but also treasure in the form of coins (silver AND gold) is awesome, too. I just don't know what to do, and don't want to experience "buyer's remorse" after putting out that much money.

Are they all really THAT much different? (Although I know you do still get what you pay for... somehow.)

Thanks again. LOL
-Aaron

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have received tons of good advice. Now do your homework and go with your gut. I have said it before but no matter what you buy you will wonder and wish you bought the other detector. I bought both. The E-trac has qualities the V3i don't but it's heavy even though easier to learn. The V3i is hard to learn even if you do tweak standard programs.. You won't have a clue on whether you like any detector until you have used it at least 100 hours..

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Unless I missed it, you still haven't said much about the types of places you will be hunting. Just about any detector will find relics, silver and gold coins if you put it over them. What type of soil, mineralized, beach, mild...? Trashy parks, old homes, battlegrounds/fields/woods, water...? Once you figure that out, it's more up to YOU than the detector. In the right hands the Etrac and V3i will be about the same. If I were you I would find a dealer where you can hold them both, feel the ergonomics and shuffle through the menus. AT Pro with a couple coils will find just about anything too.

OP
OP
O

OmniAaron

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2018
Sewanee, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! Somehow your reply gave me a sense of relief (I mean, AT Pro is so much cheaper). But you're right, I hadn't mentioned... although I don't know specifics (it all sounds fun to me), I live in Middle Tennessee, so I imagine there would be old homesteads and Civil War sites, very little water. I am unsure what the soil is like here. THANK YOU so much for your input. :)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Do yourself a favor and check out Deus.

I would go on and on, but I'll just leave at that.

Best of luck to you sir!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I first bought the V3i back in Sept 2010, and ran it until the summer of 2016. I was stubborn. It wasn't giving me the finds friends were finding in most of hunts. That's years ago. I am good with it and have a lot of good finds, but my fun-factor shot up quickly after going to FBS. I bought an SE Pro first, and then the Etrac. It mighta been a particular V3i unit that kept me without good depth with good VDI. I actually owned 2 different V3i detectors, first one was replaced. Whites is the best I customer service! V3i just can't kept up with the SE or Etrac in deep high conductors with grid VDI.

The SE Pro and Etrac gave almost instant fun! It simply beats the V3i in deep silver, without all the tweaks. In the V3i's defense, I never had another V3i owner too help me.

I was blessed with the FBS Minelabs...I feel that I have about the most expert, talented deep coin hunter/buddy that there is the FBS machines.

Right at this moment, I'll say that you should get the Etrac.

Last edited:

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget the Tesoro Vaquero! The more money you throw at a detector does not mean better finds......

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the F75+. Essentially getting an amazing machine for $500.00 if you get the bundle deal. Not a water machine but it will destroy an At Pro in iron.

That's if you're looking to spend less/get more.

OP
OP
O

OmniAaron

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2018
Sewanee, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right at this moment, I'll say that you should get the Etrac.

Man-o-man! Now I'm starting to drive MYSELF crazy. As soon as I neared a decision, I got sucked into other MDs: The XP Deus, Teknetics T2, Fisher F75, alongside the Minelab E-Trac and White's Spectra V3i (and even the Garrett AT Pro)!

I just don't want buyer's remorse (I don't want to outgrow something quickly, like perhaps the AT Pro).

What to do? What to do?!
LOL

Sorry for the rambling and indecisiveness! Ha!

-Aaron

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man-o-man! Now I'm starting to drive MYSELF crazy. As soon as I neared a decision, I got sucked into other MDs: The XP Deus, Teknetics T2, Fisher F75, alongside the Minelab E-Trac and White's Spectra V3i (and even the Garrett AT Pro)!

I just don't want buyer's remorse (I don't want to outgrow something quickly, like perhaps the AT Pro).

What to do? What to do?!
LOL

Sorry for the rambling and indecisiveness! Ha!

-Aaron

You haven't seen the half of it. Minelab is coming out with two new machines sometime late this month. Makro is coming out with a new water-proof machine. Teknetics has the Patriot (a refaced Fisher F70) for $399 and Fisher has the F75 for $500. Nokta has the Impact - a machine that seems to be tearing it up for those who own one. Quest - a newer company - has a couple of machines out that seem to be doing quite well in Europe. Whites has their latest machine - the MX7 - that users swear by, and Garrett has the AT Max. Then there's Tesoro with their die-hard fans and of course the XP Deus and all of its capabilities. There are other brands - that I've failed to mention - that all have their share of success too.

That's why I firmly believe that only you can decide which machine is the right machine for you. Pick any of the machines mentioned (or those not mentioned) and it will help you find the good stuff; providing you take the time to learn that machine. The least expensive machine I own (Tesoro Compadre - about $150 new) finds something good pretty much every time I use it. It is all about getting the coil over a target and knowing what the machine is telling you. I've hunted the same areas that people with far more expensive machines have hunted (including me, with my more expensive machines) and still found good items with that little Compadre. Maybe the other machines didn't get a coil over those targets? I can't honestly say one way or the other, but I do know the Compadre excels at finding things up close to posts, trees, buildings, etc..

Some machines are made to excel at one thing or another; other machines are made to be good general machines (but they don't excel at any one aspect). That's why so many people suggest you figure out what it is that you'll hunt for - and then pick a machine suitable for that task. Once that decision has been made, you'll need to decide which coils will be needed for your purpose(s).

Ask the board which machine is best for finding silver coins and you'll likely get 20 different answers (or more) - and all of them will be correct/wrong. I am convinced that there is no one best machine, but there most certainly is a best machine for you. Which machine that is will depend upon what you're hunting, how the machine feels, how you relate to that machine, and your willingness to learn that machine.

Many of us learned that the hard way - buying the latest and greatest machines only to discover that we didn't really like that machine, so we sold it and tried another. Some of us - me - are slow learners and had to repeat that process several times. That's why I urge you to test out as many different machines as you can - swing them, change the tones, the sensitivity, ground balance them and see how each machine responds to a target. You'll find one or two that really talk to you - from there your choice becomes much easier. Don't get caught up in buying the brand - buy the machine that fits you best.

For me, part of the fun is hunting for the right machine. I'm brand loyal in the sense that I like Whites machines because they fit me well. I like Tesoro too, and Fisher, and Teknetics, and... etc... They all work, they'll all find the good stuff - it's up to me to figure out which machine(s) work best for me.

The last thing I'll mention is the fact that user ability matters more than the machine. An expert, using the Compadre, will out hunt a novice using the CTX 3030 (or Etrac, or V3i, or F75, etc..). I'm not knocking the Compadre - it's a great machine at a great price. Nor am I knocking the CTX 30303 - it is an outstanding machine with tons of finds. The point is that the user is the most important aspect - the tool used is secondary.

My advice is worth what you paid for it - more or less.

OP
OP
O

OmniAaron

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2018
Sewanee, TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly! Y'all are killing me (in a good way)... What great information!
I think all I can do for now is keep researching AND look out for these new machines coming out before I make a final decision.
Again, I really appreciate all your fabulous input and feedback you've given! What a forum!

-Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread