newbie thinking about starting

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so im 16 and figure i can use the excuse i need the rolled coins for a birthday party game if i ever get asked or i run a summer program with a weekly coin game. and i want to know how would i start off buying these do i just walk in an ask for a few rolls of halfs or dimes? do i need an account for most banks? theres 3 banks i know of locally i can get to if needed to go so when ever i hav enough money to make an account i will for a dump bank. it seems like the perfect hobby you dont lose any money (unless you get shorted).

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
fisher2 said:
ok so im 16 and figure i can use the excuse i need the rolled coins for a birthday party game if i ever get asked or i run a summer program with a weekly coin game. and i want to know how would i start off buying these do i just walk in an ask for a few rolls of halfs or dimes? do i need an account for most banks? theres 3 banks i know of locally i can get to if needed to go so when ever i hav enough money to make an account i will for a dump bank. it seems like the perfect hobby you dont lose any money (unless you get shorted).

If you order Boxes they will probably require an account but I hit many banks and ask them if they have any Halves they can sell me, not many ask me why I want them, but a few have asked when dumping where'd you get them (so many), I do NOT lie but neither do I tell them the WHOLE truth, simply say that I "get them from all over" and so far not one has asked any more.

Just walk in cold so to speak & ask them (say) 'do you have any Half Dollar coins I can buy off of you- a few rolls,..... '. If want other coins they have them on hand in Boxes just tell them you need a Box of whatever and they will get it for you most of time- if they don't just go on likethe Fuller Brush salesman to the next Bank with a smile on your face!

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
obediah said:

Just walk in cold so to speak & ask them (say) 'do you have any Half Dollar coins I can buy off of you- a few rolls,..... '.

Mistake. Go in ask for $1500. It's the same as asking for everything, except they know you need these. If you ask for a few they'll give you the, Oh we can only give you $50 at a time, B.S. Instead of saying I'll take all you got (They won't want to check how much they have. They just say They have them). Ask for something high like $1500. When I dont do this I run into this:

Me: How much half dollars do you have?
Teller: How much do you need?
Me: Well, how much do you have?
Teller: That depends, how much do you need?
Me: I'll be basing that upon how much you have, can you please tell me?
Teller: I'm not sure.
Me: Can you find out?
Teller: The person who knows is out on lunch, sorry.
Me: When will she be back?
Teller: I'm not sure...

Now when you ask for $1500.

Me: Hello do you have any half dollars?
Teller: Let me check......... Yes! How much would you like?
Me: I'll take $1500?
Teller: *Laughs* Well we don't have THAT much, I have $780.
Me: Ok I'll take that.
Teller: Let me get that for you.
Me: Thanks!

See? Trust me. It has never failed me.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
your right, the "i'll take all you have" line leaves the situation open and control to the teller. if you name an amount all they can say is we don't have that much or no all together, however i do get the question "why do you need so many halves?" alot. if it is a male teller i reply " i got to send my ex-wife her child support." and if it is a female teller my reply is something to the effect "i am working on a pinyatta (spelling?) for the kids.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
fisher2 said:
Hey fisher, yes you can lose money in this hobby. Not trying to sound too negative, but I was loosing ALOT of money by picking up and dumping coin....you end up searching large volumes of coin to get a few keepers. Some posts here show the success in roll hunting, but people are searching tons of coin to get them.
I love it and still do a small amount of searching now and then. I hit it hard for a year, got some silver, but lost time searching and dumping coin, time I will never get back....good luck in your hunt.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
DAS7NY said:
obediah said:

Just walk in cold so to speak & ask them (say) 'do you have any Half Dollar coins I can buy off of you- a few rolls,..... '.

Mistake. Go in ask for $1500. It's the same as asking for everything, except they know you need these. If you ask for a few they'll give you the, Oh we can only give you $50 at a time, B.S. Instead of saying I'll take all you got (They won't want to check how much they have. They just say They have them). Ask for something high like $1500. When I dont do this I run into this:

When I get the response from the teller "how many do you want?" after I have asked if they have any halves on hand, I tell them I am a coin collector and I usually buy all that they have in stock, and I want to know if it is worth stopping in so I need to know how much you have on hand.

This has never failed me in getting them to say how much they have in stock so I know if it is worth my time to make the trip to that particular bank.

I always wonder why they even ask "how many do you want?" in response to "do you have any half dollars available now?". Their answer should be either yes or no I would think.

I like your answer too in giving a specific amount. Early on I would say I was looking for a full box but that would sometimes lead to "oh, we don't have that many", and I still did not know how many they had so I had to keep asking questions to find out if they had 2 coins or 200 coins.

Jim

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
coincrazed said:
DAS7NY said:
obediah said:

Hmm.It seems you're doing it wrong.What ya need to do my man,is be friendly with them tellers.Be nice.If you give them a bunch of that B.S.,they'll never like you.That is probably why they never like you,and don't like it when you order boxes.Chat with those tellers especially if they're ladies.Everyone knows how much they like to talk.If you humor them,you'll be a LOT better off.Be firm,but don't come off sounding pushy and balligarent. - coincrazed

I'm not belligerent, the tellers like me, I have no problems with them. But every now and then you'll run into one pissy teller or some dumba$$, and if I'm on a road trip, I'll be pushy because I'll never see this person again. But being nice, is well nice and is something you should always do in your local area. But being nice still, in my scenario stated above, doesn't make a difference. And I never give tellers an attitude, (I dunno if I came off that way?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread