newbie to crh

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
hello all,I started at this site yesterday and stumbled onto this forum,I never thought of doing this!!I ran right to the bank and got $70 worth of rolled change.ive opened 3 nickel rolls and found a 1944 nickel a couple of 1950's .can any one tell me what years for silvers?pre-1964?i mean i got like 10 from 64 they sound different than the other ones but im new.i also asked my bank for halves but they have none.I saw a post saying your bank can order them?Also dont they get mad when you try to return 500 in halves?Ive read to go to another bank.i guess i could call around to see if they have them before i go.any help on the valuable years to save on all coins would be helpful.by the way this a great and friendly site!!

Upvote 0

low xtreme

Oct 5, 2006
georgia
64's are pretty common for nickels. the only year nickels had silver was 42-45. and they have the big mintmark over the monticello and are 35% silver. for quarters and dimes, 1964 and earlier are the silver ones.

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
My routine is to buy $1,000 of halves (two boxes) at the bank that has my home loan, then search that night or next day, then take the coins to my credit union that has a coin counting machine and deposit the money into my account. When my next two boxes are ready I stop by the credit union and pick up $1,000 in cash to give to the bank. (the bank wants cash)
So far no real complaints by the tellers, I always say "I hope I'm not being a nuisance" and smile.

DW

OP
OP
gtlfindings

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
So no other years 50's,what about buffalos etc?out of $20 of nickels I got in the silver year range then 1 1940,1 1944 so all 50s and 60s are junk.Are any years worth keeping?thanks for responding to my post Low and Prizm II.Hey Prizm do you need to order the boxes?also out of $10 pennies i got 2 wheats 1952,1945.i guess its not bad for a first timer.I may get more nickels tommorow.Also how do you get that list on the bottom of the post that tallies up your finds?

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
The first time I went into the bank (to start coin roll hunting) I asked the teller if I could get boxes of half dollars from them. She said yes, but would have to order them for me. I said please get me two boxes, she said come back next Monday. When I picked up the boxes I asked her if she could please get me two more and now when I pick up boxes they say "do you want more?". She also said not to bring the coins back to this bank, I said "I never will".

DW

low xtreme

Oct 5, 2006
georgia
yeah your 44 is a silver one. as for buffalos and older nickels besides the 42-45, none are silver but are still keepers for sure. most people keep all pre-1960 nickels, i would. most aren't worth much now, but who knows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread