Newbie With Minelab Exaclibur II any advice

JLopez1287

Sep 30, 2008
Hello there I just purchased an excalibur II last week. The last few daysI have been down at the the beach hoping to find me a ring or two but havent got lucky yet. I found a couple quarters a few dimes and nickles a bunch a pennies and a 1 silver dollar and few fishing weights. I have dug up a bunch a pull tabs and hole cans that were pretty deep. I was wondering what the best settings were so that i can avoid cans. My settings right now are set at Discrimination between 5-7, sensitivity on auto, threshhold about 12 oclock same with volume and most of the time its on disc mode. Since Im new to detecting I been reading the post and people with the same machine finding a ton more than I have. Any suggestions???
Thanks
Jeremy
Corpus Christi tx

Upvote 0

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I know nothing about the Excal but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. My advice to you is to be persistent and hunt slowly! You are going to do well and I look forward to reading about the many finds you are going to post. Welcome aboard!

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Jeremy,

Here on the west coast of Florida, I find that if I set the discrimination to 2, set sensitivity to auto, set volume to full, and adjust threshhold to just under where I hear a constant buzz, I get best results.

I've learned that the best finds usually produce low tones, while the higher pitched tones are usually beer cans and some coins.

I've also discovered that tones that sound excited are usually beer cans buried deep.

One way to tell for sure is when you hear a high pitched loud tone, lift the coil a foot above the sand. If you still hear the tone, it is most likely a beer can or empty six pack buried in the sand.

Of course, you'll find more if you dig all the tones.

Bill

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here on the east coast of virginia we never hunt in auto and always set discrimination on 0

try setting the sensitivity as high as possilbe without it falsing - 11 or 12 o'clock on the clock face

make sure u have a nice sturdy scoop and a book on the chineese language

swing the coil as close to the sand as possible, many actually drag it on the sand

good luck

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you are off to a great start finding what you find. That is pretty normal. Rings will come if they are there. As far as settings go I turn my to zero discrim. Sens. at 12o'clock. threshhold just barely, and volume all the way. Dig everything, if it makes even a slight noise dig it. Keep the coil low and go really slow. The rest will come to you, after you dig 20 so cans you'll know what they are and won't dig that anymore.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby. Max and others gave great advice.

Volume all the way up (cover the drain holes with electrical tape if not diving)
Threshold where you barely hear it. Sensitivity not on AUTO but as far just off auto or as high as it can go while still being stable depending on the beach. I run Disc on 0 and let the iron mask tell me when it is a nail and dig all the rest. I almost didn't dig what I thought was a can and it turned out to be a nice pocket watch.

OP
OP
J

JLopez1287

Sep 30, 2008
Thanks for all the info. Let yall know how it goes in two weeks time
Jeremy
Corpus Christi Tx

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeremy, welcome to the Tnet.

Don't feel frustrated, just get out there and practice. The next thing you know there will be a ring in your scoop.

It took me a year to get my first ring. I've been in the hobby for a couple of years, but didn't get into the water until June this year and now I'm addicted.

If I would have given up the first year because I only found a few pennies and garbage then I wouldn't be where I am now with metal detecting.

Good luck and give it time. You'll enjoy it more. Remember it's a hobby, it's an escape from the horrors of everyday life like $4 gas.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions