first off a female to hold your beer while you hunt

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my recommendation.. if your hunting sand and highly mineralized areas, go with a Deus, if your starting off relic hunting go with the AT Pro. Get a TRX Whites PinPointer for sand, An ProPointer for dirt. A good set of shovels ( Water proof), make sure they are stainless steel or something that won't rust. I like to use gloves, most people don't.. ( Never rub a coin.).. that's all I use, hope that helps.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wanted to search for interesting things that may be buried in the sand or layers of dirt. Life got in my way but now I need a hobby. I like to hike and such, and taking a metal detector to various places would be even more fun. But...how do I get started? What items do you consider basic needs?

Looks like you're a local! What type of hunting do you plan to do? Beach? Water? Relic? Gold? Parks? Schools? Properties? Your specific needs will depend on your answer. In general, you will need a detector suited for your type of hunting and ground conditions, a recovery tool, a finds/trash pouch, a backpack for remote areas so you can carry spare parts, batteries, food, water, sunscreen, etc, and a pin pointer is a nice item to have too.

OP
OP
L

LVos

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2017
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, will you be scantily clad as well? Sounds like fun:):headbang:

OP
OP
L

LVos

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2017
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, I didn't realize it was so specific. What are your favorite areas?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you'll be hiking with your detector, you want to seriously consider weight.

Beach detecting-a sand scoop and some plastic grocery bags to hold cans you'll dig until you get to a trash can.

You'll also want head phones.

You should be able get a detector with some accessories from one of TN supporting vendors.

You'll need to obtain the beer locally.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, I didn't realize it was so specific. What are your favorite areas?

Some detectors are specialized for certain targets, or have features for a particular type of detecting. I like just about all form of detecting, so, I have several detectors to meet those needs. Before you decide on a detector, you need to decide which kind of detecting you plan on doing.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are a local to me there are many types of hunting to do, but here it's the beaches the are the easiest and closest. I hit them at least 2 to 3 times a week, other people go more often.
There are several clubs in the area, Treasure hunters of San Diego, San diego coin shooters, and one other prospecting club.

Depending on the type hunting depends on the metal detector, a digging knife like a Hori hori knife ($20) In the dirt a pen pointer is really helpful.

On the dry sand beach, a trash/treasure bag, scoop, and detector, if you want to work the wet sand you need a machine with multi-freq.
Just ask if you want help

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my favorite is beach hunting, no gloves needed, no real digging (scoop), nice scenery

but being stuck in indiana I mostly dirt hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread