Newbies 1st CRH

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie's 1st CRH

Good day from the 100+ degree heat of central California

I stumbled onto this site about a month ago and have enjoyed learning about roll hunting. I decided to test the waters on Friday with a single $25 box of pennies. Here are my results:

9 Wheats:

40-S
42-D (badly rusted)
49-S
52-D
53-S x2
54-D
58-D x2

2 Canadians - a '53 and a '74

The only variations I looked for were the 98-00 wide AM's and found none. I separated the '09 and '10 dates, since they are different and new. There were 40 assorted '09's and 4 '10's. Total copper was $4.99.

I have seen discussion about whether or not some of the boxes are of a certain vendor. Do pennies also come in different box configurations? The box I got was a single level and had "$25 Pennies" in red on the box.

Anyway, I enjoyed my first dive into CRH. It was nice, cheap diversion when I had time over the weekend. At some point, I will need to find a dump bank and build my bank roll before moving up to halves. :)

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Newbie's 1st CRH

Welcome to the forum. Are you sure that's a 1942-D that's rusted and not a 43. They made them in steel in 1943. Put a magnet to it, it's a steel cent if it sticks. MM2(across the country in NJ)

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA

mountainman 2 said:
Welcome to the forum. Are you sure that's a 1942-D that's rusted and not a 43. They made them in steel in 1943. Put a magnet to it, it's a steel cent if it sticks. MM2(across the country in NJ)
exactly what i was thinking

OP
OP
lahmejoon

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No worries on the competition - I'm in the Fresno area so the only road trip I would take to SoCal would be for a vacation somewhere where it isn't 107 degrees outside! :)

I'll go back and check on the '42 (or '43). It doesn't have the appearance of a steel gone bad, so maybe what is on the coin is not rust, but something else. Is there anything that could be used other than water to try to clean up the appearance of a penny?

Thanks!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lahmejoon said:
No worries on the competition - I'm in the Fresno area so the only road trip I would take to SoCal would be for a vacation somewhere where it isn't 107 degrees outside! :)

I'll go back and check on the '42 (or '43). It doesn't have the appearance of a steel gone bad, so maybe what is on the coin is not rust, but something else. Is there anything that could be used other than water to try to clean up the appearance of a penny?

Thanks!
Someone gave me a tip using hydrogen peroxide. Drop the coin in some heated up peroxide for a few minutes, it should loosen up the worst of the gunk. Then you can use a cotton swab to clean it up some more. It should be rinsed with distilled water after that. I've had some success cleaning Indian cents this way that were not readable before. Try it on a couple of common wheats 1st.

rickomatic

Greenie
May 14, 2010
Snohomish WA
Detector(s) used
some el cheapo right now

Anyway, I enjoyed my first dive into CRH. It was nice, cheap diversion when I had time over the weekend. At some point, I will need to find a dump bank and build my bank roll before moving up to halves. Smiley
I'm a newbie as well, and have only done very little CRH. Since I've only done it on a very small scale so far, when I dump, I use a Coinstar where you can get store vouchers for various vendors without having to pay the 8% or whatever it is penalty. Two of the vendors you can get straight accross the board vouchers for are Albertson's grocery store and Lowes home improvement stores. I shop regularly at both so, when I'm planning on some groceries or hardware I get those voucher cards with my small (sub $100) dumps. Just another option for us small time operators.

OP
OP
lahmejoon

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Checked out the penny in question and it didn't pass the magnet test. It must just have a bunch of "gunk" on the coin. I'm curious to see if the peroxide and distilled water works...

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST

Well I guess I have some competition in my area now! I am in the Fresno area as well. Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
lahmejoon

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks. No worries - I'm small-time. I'll probably stick to my $25 in pennies every so often.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST

lahmejoon said:
Thanks. No worries - I'm small-time. I'll probably stick to my $25 in pennies every so often.

I'm not worried buddy! There are plenty of other CRH'ers in our area, they just don't seem to be members of the site....at least not yet. Best of luck with the cents! I seem to average about 10-12 per box here in town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread