Newbies...second time out with our Prizm IV today

Dec 16, 2004
Well, my wife and I are getting better at this new hobby of ours so it looks like I'll be in the market for another metal detector soon.

It would appear my Prizm IV has been hijacked. ;) But there is an upside to all this. That means I'll be able to find an even better one now to buy. I'm gonna get me one that is so far advanced that it digs it's own treasure. ;D

The park we went today there was quite a bit of trash on the grounds so I took a bag along and picked up garbage as we went. As it turned out it was probably a pretty good thing that we did. As we were getting ready to leave some fellow that worked for the city walked over to our car and was making conversation, I think he was going to tell us they didn't allow metal detecting there I don't know for sure. Then he started talking about the playground and how people leave trash all around. So, I showed him what I had in the bag and he said "God bless you son" He was real happy to see us then as if we were some old friends of his. He said I wish everybody that used the park would pick up trash like that.

Looks like we are welcome there now which worked out very well because we didn't even hunt a tenth of the place.

We covered up our holes to where you couldn't see them either which I believed helped also. We took along small digging tools because I told my wife if they were to see us with a shovel they probably would have run us out first thing. They don't think about you being able to do much digging with little hand tools. Little did they know I had a pretty good little tool that's like a miniature shovel with a small handle like you us in a flower bed in my bag. I had some pretty deep hole in some places to. :)

Anyway here's what we found this afternoon. 10 pennies, 1 dime, 2 nickels, 1 quarter, one old button, and a piece of jewelry of some sort. I can't tell what it's made out of until I clean it some more. There was not any real old coins. The oldest one we found was a 1968 penny. Oh well at least we are learning and it's fun so what else can you ask for. ;D

Smitty

money123104.jpg

Upvote 0

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Keep at it and the coins will start getting older.I do a lot of detecting in the parkways in older neighborhoods and find a lot of coins this way.I guess people going to their cars, they pull their keys out of their pockets and bring a few coins with them that get lost.good luck

OP
OP
S
Dec 16, 2004
We made it out again today for a couple of hours for the third time with our new detector. We found one Wheat Penny dated 1940. The other 6 pennies, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, and 1 quarter were fairly new. We also found a weird looking kids toy ring.

We were only 3 cents short of what we found on Saturday so at this rate we should have the Prism IV paid off in about the year 2025. ;D We also found a couple dozen or so pull tabs which looks like we could probably collect them and sell the aluminum and get the money quicker than we will the coins to add up to that amount. :P

Anyway, over all it was a pretty fun afternoon.

Smitty

money010205.jpg

R

rixdfx

smitty....i found the same ring that you found, approx. 4 yrs ago, searching an old playground...small world huh?

AlphaQuest

Jan 3, 2005
Western New York
Never liked patina from coins recovered from the ground. I've seen good finds, but nothing compared to "stashed" coins. Soil affects coins harshly. But nothing better then my own discoveries.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
You are doing great! You're finding nickles and wheat cents the real good stuff isn't far away. Good going! Cladius.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread