Newby Question - 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to collecting coins. I did so for a couple years as a kid, but looking back at it I should have had more guidance from someone who knew what they were doing b/c nothing I collected has anything more than face value today (30 years later). I have decided it is time to put together a few collections for my kids so they have something more than "electronic money" to remember me by when I'm gone.

I have a Red Book on order, but am wondering about the price of a BU 1964 Kennedy half at the moment. I found some for $10 each, and can buy an entire roll. What does the Red Book say? What do more experienced collectors say?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net; and back to your interest in coins.
The Red Book is only an historic guide to average retail prices at the time it was written. If you wish current values, I suggest you take a look at Ebay's "Completed Transactions" section (not their asking price area) for your coin.
Don...

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
For reference, I just picked up a roll of BU '64 Kennedys on Ebay for $185, delivered. It's the best price I've seen in a while.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend this book "Heads You Win, Tails You Win: The Inside Secrets of Rare Coin Investing" to anyone buying coins. It is a good read and has good application.

Cheers - Koffee

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't buy 1964 Kennedy Halves for $10, even if they're uncirculated or brilliant uncirulated.

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
There was a very high mintage of those and people hoarded them...in my opinion if you want leave some coins for your kids that hold value and appreciate buy morgan and peace dollars graded and slabbed by pcgs or ngc...of course the higher the grade the higher the price tag but ms60-ms63 morgans and peace dollars graded ad slabbed by pcgs or ngc can be bought for 40-75 dollars...common years of course but beautiful coins for how old they are and will hold there value.....if you pay close attention to the auctions on ebay you can get an ms64 sometimes for 75.00 or so....being slabbed and graded by one og the two companies you can check thwm out with either company that they were in fact slabbed by them and are genuine....sad but there are a lot of fakes out there in these slabs.....very good fakes....but usually the fakes are of the more valuable or key dates like carson city mintmarked dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread