Newfoundland sluicing

Mufflerfist

Apr 25, 2014
Paradise, Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper 24"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie looking into starting a little prospecting here in Newfoundland as a little hobby. I've looking around at sluices and not sure really what to look for. I would like something that I could take to the field and also set it up in the garage. Any recommendation you guys could offer this newbie would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first question would be: Does Newfoundland have gold to recover?
Followed closely by: How coarse does the gold get?
Then perhaps: Is it in paying quantities, or just hobby level?

OP
OP
Mufflerfist

Mufflerfist

Apr 25, 2014
Paradise, Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper 24"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes there is gold here and it is fairly small stuff. I'm just doing this as a hobby so I can learn more about it. I really new at this so I'm currently reading lots of stuff lol.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a Bazooka Gold Trap. Lightweight, extremely portable, catches finest of gold, no classifying easy to setup and cleanout. Variety of sizes. Check the forum here for Bazooka or BGT.

Goldenmojo

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it as simple as possible. Check to see if your government has a division of mines and minerals. Your next step is the local historical society for any information possible on past history. You start mining where IF others have usually as a rule of thumb. A geology class will be a move in the right direction. Invest as LITTLE as possible as most folks never stick with it a nuttn' but hard labor that requires you to usually camp for extended periods of time. GOOGLE is your friend and will provide much info also. Research is the mother of a successful miner. Most importantly have a ball with a simple pan and sluice and prosper mentally,morally and physically-John

OP
OP
Mufflerfist

Mufflerfist

Apr 25, 2014
Paradise, Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper 24"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's a 2 week prospector course i have to take first before I'm allowed to put a shovel in the ground.... Its mandatory here in Newfoundland... So now i'm just trying to learn as much as possible lol ( lots of info out there lol) Like i said earlier i just want to do this as a hobby... I wouldn't mind being able to bring a portable sluice with me in the field and maybe stock pile some material during the year so it can process some in the garage during the winter months... So I just want to get the best bang for my buck on buying a sluice that can preform both of those tasks...

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So John, when did you become allergic to hard work and camping out? Or are you just getting soft!....................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not allergic Herb,just trying to get torn disc healed up hahaha. Ol'farts should NOT hand winch 2 massive trees and hand roll boulders all day without paying the piper. But the fish can now migrate so not a total loss. But gettn' soft as can't do much but detect for about 4 hours or so with braces in place,sic sic sic but time will heal all the pain clinic says. Couple a norcos and good to go. Howz tejas, new job and home treating ya??John

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yahoo, gold in newfoundland. isn't that where moosehead is brewed? my favorite Canadian export. I feel a cross continent trip coming up. highdesertranger

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well John, I would think that by now you would have realized you are not ten feet tall and bullet proof, I know I'm not. Having said this I must admit to going off the deep end myself every now and then, that is likely the original reason for the shoulder mess of mine. My goodness winching trees and rolling boulders, did you at least enjoy yourself before the pain set in?

At the moment Texas is kinda dull, get ready for work, work, come home from work, get ready to rest from work and repeat. Kinda like prospecting only every now and then the test proves golden! The job is good, really keeps my mind going searching for reasons, I've had a couple of successes so I just keep trying.
Nice people here! The motorcycle is much less expensive to run than the Bronco, though the Bronco became a citizen of Texas today! Tomorrow myself and then the motorcycle.

Bought a quart of field Honey today from 'Mac' and it was worth his price, mighty tasty honey. Oh Wait that's right its dark golden in color so this conversation is part of the blog, Yahoo!

I need some sleep. Take care, heal well a styms machine might be in your future. Herb

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Way awesome good luck up there! I would do a lot of research into gold bearing areas and then go hit those. You'll be disappointed if you look where there is no gold. So do good research and you will be very well rewarded. Have fun and welcome to prospecting. Also a lot of people just like to hear themselves rant, so just blow past the hijacks that's what I do!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RANT??-kiss my@$$-came back to apologize for a miniscule slip by old friends and see that garbage posted :cat:-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread