Newnan, a Georgia Indian fighter, possible Patriot war find!

AdamBuchanan

Jun 22, 2010
Keystone Heights, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals, its been a while since Ive posted any finds, but thought I'd share a find from a hunt I had with my dad after being stuck in the house for a few days due to bad weather! We went out hunting an area off the old Bellamy Rd which was one of the first roads to cut though the interior of Florida, after about an hour into the hunt I was swinging by an old hard oak and got my best signal of the day, after digging the target, to my surprise Im holding a button about the size of a nickel. After the hunt I'm sharing the find with my dad, he tells me that this button is a good find and you should be able to identify it fairly easy. After getting home and cleaning a little on the button find the front to have an eagle with what appears to be an I on the front breast plate, upon using good ole google I find that it could be an infantry button, upon turning it over and cleaning the dirt out of the back, I read, W Wallis, Extra .. I again google this and find that the manufacturer is the William Wallis Co of Birmingham England which manufactured buttons from 1790-1830, ? This would possibly make this button a Seminole Indian war find ? Im not sure.. There was a battle, near the area in which we were hunting off the old Bellamy Road, here is the link that has a little history of battle, Patriot War . I just dont know much about button history to know exactly if this is a possible civil war button or of a Seminole Indian war find.. Opinions or facts greatly appreciated! The link below is an additional which tells a little more of the Newnan story.. Thanks again for any clarity.. Time Vessels

Attachments

• Button2.jpg
    Button2.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Button.jpg
    Button.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Button1.jpg
    Button1.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 5

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, we have some old buttons here in Florida for sure.

It's pre-civil war, probably Seminole war era.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is definately Second Seminole War time period. This is a 1-piece convex coat button. This was worn by the US Infantry. I have found many of them on various Second Seminole War Fort sites. No doubt about it! It would date from the 1820's through the 1830's. Where there is one, there are probably more artifacts in close proximity. You might want to even dig some iron, to see if there are any square nails. This would be a good indication of activity. Look for concentrations of targets, even iron, then concentrate there. Congrats!

OP
OP
AdamBuchanan

AdamBuchanan

Jun 22, 2010
Keystone Heights, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all really wasn't expecting it thats for sure.. Thats what I love about this hobby! Bofusmosby, yes there were many iron targets that I passed over, I will definitely go back and be more thorough. Thanks again all and happy hunting everyone!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems you made a VERY good find. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing it with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread