News article on soem "bad" detectors

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Re: News article on soem "bad" detectors

That kind of crap gives us all a blackeye. >:( >:(But it seems to me the real problem is the Bozos didn't fill the holes, and left the scrap metal behind. If the site is so historical why has'nt the state designated it as such?Look at the recent finds threads,there's always people looking for such locations. Aren't we all searching for an old foundation to dig around? There's thousands out there, most were homesteaders that went bust. It isn't like it's the lost grave of father Marquette. Same deal with old logging camps. Those guys stayed awhile and raped the land of all the virgin timber. Now we're suppose to revere the old camps. Give me a break. There isn't going to be an archeoligist that is going to cross the street to see one of those sites.
There I vented abit and feel alittle better. ::)

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series

i agree with mule if it was a historic site then it should have been protected but they should have had more respect for the surroundings arent we all entitled to explore our heritage and seek out the history to find the truth so does this mean all sites where some one in the past may have lived is off limits if its on public land punishable by $150,000 fine and one year in prison pretty soon it will be illegle to possess a metal detector theyll be the tools of satan trying to steal our souls

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I first read the article, I was amazed that such a "valuable archaeological resource" was not being actively preserved. ::) ::) ::)

The two bad things I will say about the situation are:

1. The "looters" didn't ask permission from the authorities to MD on the site.

2. They didn't fill in their holes.

Mike

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

I sincerely doubt that the archeologists would ever have visited the site, but they sure are fast to complain that someone else did. I agree, those guys should have filled the holes and removed what they dug. Those archeologists would have absolutely no work if someone didn't go ahead of them and find the places. Their fancy degrees are only good for getting them jobs at museums.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was wrong indeed, but what is different about this site than all the other ones that are being paved over for progress. It is so easy to "protect" a historic site while better and more important ones can be desecrated so easily and paved over for some greasy 7/11

this is such a load of....

HH-GC

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There isn't going to be an archaeologist that is going to cross the street to see one of those sites.
There I vented abit and feel alittle better.

Why does everything historic have to stay in the ground to preserve it? The leaving of holes was inexcusable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread