News from the Punta Cana Pewter Wreck - Global Marine Exploration

Jan 1, 2014
Rural East Herts.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you

I couldn't agree more Bob, but there has actually been some interest and communication going on, even with some folks at Texas A&M. We are sending a few representative pewter examples to an archaeologist who will remain nameless, he did some of the research on the pewter from the 1554 fleet off Padre Island Texas. Another archaeologist called and requested a study collection of other items from the wreck which we provided also. Texas A&M will get a complete set of the recovery reports when we go to press again. I have hidden a publication online so that mostly only academic archaeologists would ever find it, and it has been downloaded and viewed 100's of times...not a single comment, but people are reading it. It will take baby steps to bring the two communities together. I try to take at least one baby step each day, no matter how small. Each time I gain a little respect from an academic, another board goes into the proverbial bridge. I'm not trying to get the academic community to suddenly condone artifact sales, but I am getting a few to realize that some of us are doing damn good work, and in the end archaeology is about the DATA, not the artifacts.

Some of my best friends think I am an idiot, wasting my time trying to climb the ivory tower. Maybe I am, but I fully believe that archaeology as a whole is better with our work than it is without it. At the end of the day we are all archaeologists, some of us do great work, others not so much. We do all find data that should be recorded and added to the archaeological record, the dismantling of the Isolated Finds Program prevents this in Florida now, unfortunately. Dismissing my data simply does not make sense for archaeology, it is good and accurate data that was properly recorded. If a guy in a private lab solved the mystery of cancer, would the medical community not use his info because he didn't have the right degree? Amatuers have always made incredible contributions to science...and archaeologists are the only scientists who categorically disregard amatuer's work. There is simply no justification for that stance, and it is counter-productive to the very science they are charged with doing.

As someone who purchased a few of the items from this find at the recent auction at Wilkinson Auctioneers in Doncaster. I would personally like to say thank you for all the hard work in getting these to market and selecting this auction house for the sale. My wife and I are regular buyers there due to the integrity, knowledge and scope of that auction house.

However, the main reason I wish to comment here is to respond to the general archaeologist debate on these types of finds. As I understand it you are being slammed for offering these things into the general market rather than for archaeological study. However, in my opinion this is an incredibly selfish and blinkered attitude displayed by these people. By offering the artefacts up for sale the whole business of discovery and recovery becomes intrinsically sustainable. Without profit there would be no recovery. The artefacts sold have been (usually) purchased at significant cost, i.e. they will be cherished by the new owners and not merely melted down for their scrap value (as happens to so much of our Victorian and later silverware). Finally the artefacts are not lost forever by going into private hands. When one considers how long they have been totally out of circulation, what is another 10 years, 20 years, 50 years, 100 years, 500 years? I'm sure somewhere along the line future generations of archaeologists will still find the artefacts interesting... and only because they still exist! Without recovery the attrition of the sea would eventually see these artefacts destroyed.

Anyway that's my two penneth worth. So again a personal thanks for bringing these things to light. I couldn't afford any of the pewter items at the auction but I am now the very proud owner of a candle stick and a couple of other small items. My wife and I will enjoy them, our friends will enjoy them and get to hear all about their origins, our children will inherit them and (hopefully) enjoy them and then at sometime in the distant future they will be passed into the general market again and other people will enjoy them.

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful artifacts Jason. Your work in publishing all of this is amazing. You have done an excellent job. Would love to display some of your finds at the Shipwreck Bar & Grille. Our new display case has a 50 inch monitor with a slide show. There are several pictures of you recovering gold and silver. Keep up the good work.
Your friend always.
Seahunter

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
TWD - Glad you got to purchase and enjoy some artifacts from this wreck. The archaeologists who cared to look deeper realize that the lions share of artifacts are in museums, universities, and study collections around the world. With funding evaporating for historical projects, a new method has to be developed lest we loose it all. We are doing our part and many progressive archaeologists are helping us, we don't waste much time worrying about the small percentage of detractors.

Scott - Thanks for that, we all work very hard and we always enjoy when someone takes note of our results. I will have to get back over there sometime soon to see the new display and I will bring you a box of artifacts to display when I come. Jennifer and I were talking about you just the other night and we noted how long it had been, we'll try to get over that way soon and say hello. Will JWI be diving this year, I may know of a blower boat that could head that way if so.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions