cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of hunting do you do? Need to be waterproof?

OP
OP
hunting for Wheaties
Aug 14, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, Tecknetics delta 4000 (do not get)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of hunting do you do? Need to be waterproof?

Waterproof to Bout 10 feet and lots of relic and coin hunting in water and on land.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT is the best value in that price range.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey there guys i am just so tired of getting beginner level detectors like ace 250 and delta 4000 and i was wondering what are the next level detectors for a price range of 500-1000 and i dont care what brand

Definitely the AT Pro

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like nectar says the AT Pro. I think for the $600 cost you can't do any better. I have one and love it. I have since upgraded but I still use my ATP. To get really good with an ATP you need about 200 hours on it. I know they say 100 hours but at 100 hours you're only at about 75% of what you know about it. The diggers on TV use ATP's and believe me I think for the price they are the best all around detector.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm try sticking a fisher in the water. Oops your out 650$ let's try this at pro, *sticks in water*

OH look at that beautiful 22k gold ring!

Yeah so make your choice wether to lose money by sticking a non-waterproof detector in the drink or buying THE ONLY waterproof detector in that range of price.

Hint)- it's made by Garrett.

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried an AT Pro for about 45 minutes, I hated it. Small display and an ergonomic disaster in my opinion. Not saying it doesn't work, just saying I hated it. If you want a real water detector get a Tesoro Tigershark. It won't leak.

Almost forgot, it has a lifetime warranty.

TippecanoeRecovery

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated mine for at least a month, but man do I love it now. Especially with the 5x8 coil. Ergonomically the 5x8 makes it feel like a whole new machine. I rely on what I hear 98% of the time, rather than the display. But of course I run in Pro Mode, zero iron disc, no notching. I WANT to hear everything. The display could be smaller for all I care, wouldn't matter to me. For your price range and for use in water I'd go with the ATPro. Even if you don't end up liking the ATPro, it has great resale value. I would give it more than 45 minute before coming to a conclusion though.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you NEED waterproof. The ATP w/5x8 coil or ATG. Like Rainy said, the weight/balance is a bit off putting with a stock coil. The 5x8 changes everything.

If you don't need to have waterproofing, your options are wide open. Manufactures like Fisher, Teknetics, Garrett, Whites, Minelab & Tesoro all make great detectors. It's just a matter finding the right match.
Give the CZ-3D a looksie! I believe it is one of thee most overlooked detectors on the mrkt. Weight can be an issue, but it can be hip mounted by just sliding the box off it's mount and running your belt through it. Then it becomes SUPER light!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hated mine for at least a month, but man do I love it now. Especially with the 5x8 coil. Ergonomically the 5x8 makes it feel like a whole new machine. I rely on what I hear 98% of the time, rather than the display. But of course I run in Pro Mode, zero iron disc, no notching. I WANT to hear everything. The display could be smaller for all I care, wouldn't matter to me. For your price range and for use in water I'd go with the ATPro. Even if you don't end up liking the ATPro, it has great resale value. I would give it more than 45 minute before coming to a conclusion though.

You are right on giving it more than 45 minutes, but my friend and me swapped detectors. He hated my Silver uMax and I hated his AT, yet we both love our detectors. When you are use to one style of detector 45 minutes is not enough time to adjust and learn something completely different. Despite that, the ergonomics to me are for sure an issue. If the 5x8 changes the balance for the better, that might be a different story. I personally feel though, that you are better off with a dedicated water detector and a dedicated land detector. Of course the cost would increase purchasing two detectors.

aloha_dan

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2014
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I loved my At Pro! It was a great machine! Didn't do SUPER hot in the wet sand and salty surf, so I had to part with her. I'll definitely get one again, strictly for land use, one day..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread