Next Month I can look for these

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around St Patrick's Day a few years ago, I chased a bird up while detecting at an old homestead. The bird only flew a short distance than started to act funny and was trying to draw my attention, just like Killdeer birds do when you are near their nest.

Well, it was only middle of March and I surely thought there would be not active nests going on already, but as I carefully looked in the area where the bird took off, there were these three beautiful eggs laying in just a depression, no formal nest.

I saw one of these birds just this week at a homestead and it reminded me of the March nest finding of that year, so I dug into my archives to show the photo and really hope to find one this Spring and get a nice photo of the bird.

What is the bird? :) Well, it loves the ole Jersey homesteads, since its main diet I believe is earthworms and grubs, and with our poor soil conditions, they seem to concentrate around the very old homesteads that have long been abandoned in the woods but now have a good thick layer of worm loaded topsoil.

Hint, it is a game bird in some states.

Don

Attachments

• NAMETHOSEEGGS17MAR1.JPG
    NAMETHOSEEGGS17MAR1.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 303

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would those be quail eggs? Looks familiar..

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
Would those be quail eggs? Looks familiar..

No, about the same size but here is a big hint, they have a long bill for a smaller bird.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...Snipe?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kas said:

Much smaller than a Grouse, would not mind seeing one of them, they seemed to have vanished over the years in my area, along with Quail.

These birds are basically Eastern U.S as far as their range and they do migrate.

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, a lot of the quail have gone to the wayside down here also. The main cause believe it or not has been because of the regular house cat. We do have a large number of foxes and they take their toll also.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I thought for a moment you were showing us Killdeer eggs. Our local race track has a large gravel area that gets a lot of Killdeer eggs in the spring, they always put barricades around them. Imagine, a bird that would rather walk than fly.

Saw an article a couple of months back that said the Bobwhite Quail actually is on the decline. Haven't heard one for decades, used to hear them all the time, and see them running around. I think Whippoorwills are declining too, used to hear them every night, now it's really rare.

I want to see the Timberdoodle too!

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodcock are game birds in Michigan. They're safe around me though. They're too fast for me and it's way too much work to bag enough to make a decent meal. I'm content to let them scare the bejeebers outta me (along with the grouse) when I'm walking back to the truck from my deer blind in the evening. I'm surprised that they lay eggs in March though.

-SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions