Next time I itch, I'll use calamine lotion

That ground is just TOO hard!!!! :(

But, at least I can still see mine. ;)

Short walk, MAJOR amount of work!! :(

2015 (68).jpg
2015 (69).jpg

3 bits of poop ;)

2015 (70).jpg

No clue but boy it sure is solid! Non-magnetic and weighs near a half pound!

2015 (71).jpg

The trigger mech off Davy Crockett's Bessie ;)

2015 (72).jpg 2015 (73).jpg

This blessed lil thing almost gave me a heart attack!! :(
Unless I miss my guess, a drachma.
Now what the HECK was that doing there!!! LOL

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 15

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a jackhammer.

LOL
I have so much bed rock and hard ground not fromthe season, but just where I live...
I have/use 3 different size pic axe
It gets the job done!
BTW... awesome stuff!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, I get a kick finding the various foreign coins that pop up from time to time. I haven't found any older than 1934 so far, but they're still neat. WTG!

One thing is for sure. No matter how long I get to hunt, this hobby always finds a way to surprise me.

Thanks!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL
I have so much bed rock and hard ground not fromthe season, but just where I live...
I have/use 3 different size pic axe
It gets the job done!
BTW... awesome stuff!
I was getting ready to ask you what are you digging with Whadifind. frozen grounds gonna be hard no matter what you use, of course you know that,but a decent size pickax is the way to go.Just keep working the flat ax part in the same spot until you get up under the frozen layer,it should pop it up for you.But I am not sure exactly what kind of ground you are dealing with there.Only thing is sometimes have to go back when the ground is thawed and fix the holes up a little better.Just a thought if you haven;t tried it yet.I agree,still beats the hell out of a foot of snow:)

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually I forgot my Chinese coins, they were 1907 and 1880's.. Still neat though. I like the cap pistols too.. nice- HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting ready to ask you what are you digging with Whadifind. frozen grounds gonna be hard no matter what you use, of course you know that,but a decent size pickax is the way to go.Just keep working the flat ax part in the same spot until you get up under the frozen layer,it should pop it up for you.But I am not sure exactly what kind of ground you are dealing with there.Only thing is sometimes have to go back when the ground is thawed and fix the holes up a little better.Just a thought if you haven;t tried it yet.I agree,still beats the hell out of a foot of snow:)

Call it a preference, but I would never use a pick axe to dig for ANY target. :) If I cannot dig with a minimal impact to the ground, I just won't dig. Especially if all I have to do is wait until it thaws out.

Can't think of a much faster way to lessen our image with those who would complain anyway, then to be out in the park swinging a pick axe. LOL

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call it a preference, but I would never use a pick axe to dig for ANY target. :) If I cannot dig with a minimal impact to the ground, I just won't dig. Especially if all I have to do is wait until it thaws out.

Can't think of a much faster way to lessen our image with those who would complain anyway, then to be out in the park swinging a pick axe. LOL
I hear ya Whatifind.See there is a difference where you are hunting then the places I hunt,I don't do parks. That's all I use is a pick ax.Can cut plugs ,break roots,perfect all around tool,"for me anyway".I see where you are comeing from but I don't hunt places where I have to worry about a image,other then what the land owner thinks.Haven't had any problems yet.HH man gl

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unknown non-magnetic part reminds me of parts on handy-man type of jack or an old pump handle connector. Maybe from an ancient winch or come-along, handle type? Little projection could be the part that keys into a large gear. Just a guess :)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Whatifind.See there is a difference where you are hunting then the places I hunt,I don't do parks. That's all I use is a pick ax.Can cut plugs ,break roots,perfect all around tool,"for me anyway".I see where you are comeing from but I don't hunt places where I have to worry about a image,other then what the land owner thinks.Haven't had any problems yet.HH man gl

It completely depends on what places you're hunting. I do use a small shovel in a cornfield but never in a lawn, park, school, etc. I even have a problem seeing people using a long handled spade in those sort of places. I also can't understand someone digging a plug a foot across if they're not trying to dig up a cannon. My plugs tend to be very, very small. Easier to not leave a trail that way. I just had to learn my pinpointing very, very well. ;)

Besides, I'd cringe hitting the ground with a pick axe. How far away should I stay? Will it split that 20 dollar gold coin, (that was hidden just to the side of the target I'm digging), in two? If ya see what I mean. ;)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It completely depends on what places you're hunting. I do use a small shovel in a cornfield but never in a lawn, park, school, etc. I even have a problem seeing people using a long handled spade in those sort of places. I also can't understand someone digging a plug a foot across if they're not trying to dig up a cannon. My plugs tend to be very, very small. Easier to not leave a trail that way. I just had to learn my pinpointing very, very well. ;)

Besides, I'd cringe hitting the ground with a pick axe. How far away should I stay? Will it split that 20 dollar gold coin, (that was hidden just to the side of the target I'm digging), in two? If ya see what I mean. ;)
Its just like any other tool ,have to get use to using it.I have a feeling you think I mean like a full length heavy duty ax:laughing7: na man it is nothing like that.I usually decide where the target is and put it down in the ground I would say about 4 to 6 inches in front of the target.If I am hunting a "yard" I will cut a plug about 4 to 6 inches around the target.I mean no matter what kind of tool someone is using ,s.h.it happens sometimes.You know I hear people talking about using screwdrivers to dig?I don't see how anyone can get anywhere digging with something like that.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just like any other tool ,have to get use to using it.I have a feeling you think I mean like a full length heavy duty ax:laughing7: na man it is nothing like that.I usually decide where the target is and put it down in the ground I would say about 4 to 6 inches in front of the target.If I am hunting a "yard" I will cut a plug about 4 to 6 inches around the target.I mean no matter what kind of tool someone is using ,s.h.it happens sometimes.You know I hear people talking about using screwdrivers to dig?I don't see how anyone can get anywhere digging with something like that.

It's all good. As long as one is happy and repairing their damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions