Nexus Standard MKII vs Garret ATX? Which is deeper?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Sirusramse, you do know that the terms "high gain" and "power" are interchangeable, don't you? With or without a very powerful amplifier, gain and boost and power all represent the same outcome, so semantics does not play a part here at all. When the Nexus and the GPX are side-by-side it is quite clear that the Nexus transmits more power (has more gain) because its air depth is substantially greater than the GPX. Whoever you talked to at Nexus either lied to you, or wasn't one of their technicians, didn't know what he was talking about, or he drank way too much the night before. But really, he should know that already anyway if he works there. Here is what gain is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gain .. Gain can be defined in more than one way and by more than one application, but it means simply "Power" as in amplification and/or high voltage.. I hope this explains it a bit more..

Again, high gain detectors commonly do not do as well in harsh soils because they are over-amplified and the signal is distorted even with harmonics, but they do quite well in most of European soils, and that's what they were designed for. Another classic example of this application is the Detech metal detector, it works very well and goes very deep on zero to low mineralization soil, but really sucks on high Fe soils. That's why KellyCo quit selling them, and that's why they steer away from Deep Teks too. And it's why few Nexus are ever found on the Western US shore and including far west inland - from the Rocky mountains westward toward the ocean - in the USA

But now I have some questions for you: Why are you sometimes seemingly rude, sometimes insulting, often evoking or invoking anger in other people, and infrequently combative with others who frequent this site? You even called Fella, "worms like Fella". Is your behavior this way possibly because you do not know the more proper and politically kind or preferred English language to use instead, or are you often an angry person? These are honest questions, and I would seriously want to understand your best civilized/rational viewpoint on this, not the insults. And aside from that, if you continue in your name-calling and misbehavior I will contact the moderator here and let him decide what he wishes to do about it. Like others here, I am not here to engage in this unsavory and disenchanting type of misbehavior, I'm here to enjoy discussing the hobby in a gentlemanly-like fashion instead..

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sirusramse, I have found 2 more quasi "liars" recently that hit coins at 15-24" except they were using Xterra 705's not multi-freq machines. One is even over in your neck of the woods. Maybe you could hook up and see it with your own eyes.

Last edited:

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sirusramse, you do know that the terms "high gain" and "power" are interchangeable, don't you? With or without a very powerful amplifier, gain and boost and power all represent the same outcome, so semantics does not play a part here at all. When the Nexus and the GPX are side-by-side it is quite clear that the Nexus transmits more power (has more gain) because its air depth is substantially greater than the GPX. Whoever you talked to at Nexus either lied to you, or wasn't one of their technicians, didn't know what he was talking about, or he drank way too much the night before. But really, he should know that all that already anyway if he works there. Here is what gain is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gain .. Gain can be defined in more than one way and by more than one application, but it means simply "Power" as in amplification and/or high voltage.. I hope this explains it a bit more..

Again, high gain detectors commonly do not do as well in harsh soils because they are over-amplified and the signal is distorted even with harmonics, but they do quite well in most of European soils, and that's what they were designed for. Another classic example of this application is the Detech metal detector, it works very well and goes very deep on zero to low mineralization soil, but really sucks on high Fe soils. That's why KellyCo quit selling them, and that's why they steer away from Deep Teks too. And it's why few Nexus are ever found on the Western US shore and including far west inland - from the Rocky mountains westward toward the ocean - in the USA

But now I have some questions for you: Why are you sometimes seemingly rude, sometimes insulting, often evoking or invoking anger in other people, and infrequently combative with others who frequent this site? You even called Fella, "worms like Fella". Is your behavior this way possibly because you do not know the more proper and politically kind or preferred English language to use instead, or are you often an angry person? These are honest questions, and I would seriously want to understand your best civilized/rational viewpoint on this, not the insults. And aside from that, if you continue in your name-calling and misbehavior I will contact the moderator here and let him decide what he wishes to do about it. Like others here, I am not here to engage in this unsavory and disenchanting type of misbehavior, I'm here to enjoy discussing the hobby in a gentlemanly-like fashion instead..

Hi Larry.
Now, I have some basic background in electronics and certainly I am not an expert, BUT. I do know the difference between the electronic gain and power of a metal detector. Those two are quite different.
To power is referred the transmitter. What is the output power of the transmitting part of any detector.
Electronic gain on the other hand is how much the electronic circuit actually amplifies the signal responses cause d by changes in the RX.
So power of a detector and gain of the same detector are not the same.

To your questions. I see all fingers pointed at me. So everyone else is holly.

As for Fella.
I was rude to him, no question there. But you have to see how it all started. It is the only way to be fair in this.
He repeatedly challenged my opinion on things in a childish and intentionally irritating manner and really one can get only this much.

I have my opinion about things, he got his. Lets leave it that way. The question is can he? Can you Larry?
I see a tendency here to either agree to some folks opinion or just to bugger off, no middle ground.

Or would you suggest that I should believe what you guys insist upon rather than my own eyes?

I believe Nexus is deeper than the others, they don't.
Now what's the more proper and politically kind or preferred English language here?
To agree or to keep to my findings?
If I chose to keep to my findings why should anyone ridicule me for that?

If you want to go to the moderators go ahead. I do not intend to apologise for been bullied.

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sirusramse, I have found 2 more quasi "liars" recently that hit coins at 15-24" except they were using Xterra 705's not multi-freq machines. One is even over in your neck of the woods. Maybe you could hook up and see it with your own eyes.

Look man. You can believe everything you want. I'v heard more than enough rubbish for one day.
No detector can ever get anything in the ground deeper than it can in the air, because the dirt will always introduce losses that doesn't exist in air. If you can not grasp this basic concept that comes from laws of physics then there is nothing further that I can say.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Suit yourself sirusramse, but if you continue with the rowdy accusations and assaults, I WILL contact the moderator, your choice.. BTW, I worked designing metal detectors, so there isn't much you can teach me about them.. if anything.

Last edited:

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suit yourself sirusramse, but if you continue with the rowdy accusations and assaults, I WILL contact the moderator, your choice.. BTW, I worked designing metal detectors, so there isn't much you can teach me about them.. if anything.
I hardly have any interest to teach anyone in anything providing this is the most un gratifying job on the planet.
I only share my little and unworthy experience that have been battered to death on this forum.
Sorry to have disturbed you.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Apology accepted here..

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sirusramse. Totally agree with with your gain/power comment. Most detectors put a very low voltage through the coil (7 or 8 volts). So unless they have used a Nautilus DMC that can transmit 44 volts or a Golden Mask 3+ Powerbox (120 volts plus) or Nexus (124 volts) they don't appreciate the benefits of being able to improve performance by adjusting the balance between outgoing powewr and inward gain.

As for the old Halo effect arguement well as you no doubt know pulse machines don't respond to "halo" as rusted iron oxide has insufficient metal content left to be detected. Pure gold doesn't break down to provide anything to create a halo with.
Pure silver is much the same and will create a protective patina which improves a coins value but does have an insulating effect. You could hope that there's going to be a nearby sacrificial anode to create electron and anode pathways that might form a closed circuit but then you also might win the lottery. Then you also need sufficient moisture (but not to much) to transmit the electrical current that the destruction of the metal item causes. Drawback is you end up digging something thats not worth having.

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just thumbed across a You Tube channel with a lot of tests. On this video link there is Garrett ATX with 12"DD. I made some cross references with the Bulgarian metal detecting federation forum from what I could find in English in there and also asked a friend of mine to help with translation of this video.
The settings of the ATX as translated to me are Sensitivity on 13, Threshold on maximum and Discrimination on 1.

In the same video there is CTX3030 with 11"DD, Fisher F5 with 13"DD and Nexus Standard MkII with dual 9" coil.
The audio impressions are inconclusive to me as the different detectors have different output power and all sorts of frequencies. One would have to try them all out on headphones to be sure.

CTX3030 have no detection at maximum sensitivity, F5 have detection at maximum sensitivity without display readings, so no one knows what it is, MkII have the red meter colour as seems from what I was told by my translator and it was used at minimum sensitivity.
The Garrett ATX have no signal at all at the suggested above settings.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread