Nic-a-date, who uses it and how good is it, how do you use it?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Never used it, the ones I have seen that have been nic a dated are awful looking. If the coin is wore down that bad, its not worth anything.... even if its a key. I think its more to satisfy a person's curiosity than anything.

You just put a drop on the spot where the date used to be, wait a bit until the date is legible, then rinse it off. So I've been told. Looks bad because the area where the drop is leaves a very noticeable drop shaped ring.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Its for nothing more then ID'ing the date of your find. If you cant see the date, the coin is not worth anything. If you really have to know the date of that Buffalo you dug up, give it a shot. I have also seen some Key Date baffalos that have been nic-a-date'd and graded/slabbed before.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stormtrooper154 said:
Its for nothing more then ID'ing the date of your find. If you cant see the date, the coin is not worth anything. If you really have to know the date of that Buffalo you dug up, give it a shot. I have also seen some Key Date baffalos that have been nic-a-date'd and graded/slabbed before.
same here my coin guy in town sells "nicked" coins so.....
in your face AFRO :D ;) ;D

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I tried it on 3 buffaloes I found lately that had no date and was barely able to see a 1926 on one and I had to sort of guess on it. Any more input will be appreciated. Thanks again to all of you.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have a Buffalo was had Nic-a-date used on it..it looks bad..The former owner should have just left it alone.

porchdawg

Nov 7, 2005
Warner Robins, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTA 1350
I am not sure but I believ I used something on this order years ago when I was into collecting coins. On some it would do nicely and others it would not work so well. I believe it to be sulfuric acid based. I may be wrong.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If someone has a picture of one that was done please post it so we can get an idea of what you are talking about as far as the looking bad comment.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I don't have a digital camera & my scanner is broke. The best I can do is to describe it. In the area where the date is it appears "melted". So you have a Buffalo nickel with a "melt mark" where the date should be. Hope it helps.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
It will bring out the date and a mint mark, if there is one. And numismatically, the nickel will be worth 5 cents...unless perhaps it's the overdate or 3 legged variety.
It is VERY obvious that the solution was used...leaves kind of an off-color shiny splotch where the liquid was. Still, it can be neat to se the dates.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they looked so bad with the shiny spot I re-applied it to the whole coin so it wouldn't look as bad. I agree that it would be for just for your own benefit to see the date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread