apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever used this product? I have a roll of date-less buffs just taking up space, but I just cannot seem to throw them back into the wild. I have read that the coin is worthless once the product is applied, but a date-less buff is only worth 5 cents, so what is the harm? Perhaps I am mistaken?

I have just now filled 3 books of clad Kennedy cameos from 1971-2009. Not sure why. Just did it.

Time to get the kids up to open presents. Then, a bit of metal detecting this afternoon.

HSH,
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dateless Buffalos & Nic-o-Dated Buffalos
are only worth 5 Cents to Dealers.

In return, they will turn around and sell
them for as much at 25 cents each

a 1918 D 8 over 7 without a date
is worth 5cents to a Dealer.

If Nic-o-date brings out a date

It could be worth Hundreds on Ebay

Go for it :icon_thumright:

& Yes I Used it.

It works on most undug Buffalos
but hasn't worked on dug ones

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Don't narrow your market with regards to Nic'd Buffalo Nickels. Even if they end up as common date Buff's, you can still sell them for a premium (so long as there is good detail in the Buffalo or Indian). Remember the design is still favored by persons who craft western style jewelry. Earrings, money clips, belt buckles, bracelets, etc. Flip them on eBay. Just don't list them in the US Coins, but list them in with Jewelry. Or contact some of the local jewelers being that you are in Texas.

Merry Christmas.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apush,

I bought Nic-A-Date a while back off of ebay for $7.50. I think because the buffalo nickels are worth 6 cents to a dealer without dates, why not?

The coin could possibly hold more value(though considerably less) than the coin valued in G4 condition, but you can find some goodies.
A while back, I found 3 of those 1914-d buffalo nickels valued at g4, $85+ in my redbook(number is off memory, not sure exactally what it is)...

I did not sell them, but they could carry a premium.

Plus, I have nic-a-dated 300+ nickels, and the bottle only drained itself about 1/4 inch. This bottle will literally last a lifetime+.

Merry Christmas,
BuffaloBoy

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80s when I was a kid I worked at a coin shop and the dealer used it. Seeing your posts just reminded me of it and I just ordered two bottles. One for me and one I might split into another couple of bottles and give to my buddies.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
apush said:
Has anyone ever used this product? I have a roll of date-less buffs just taking up space, but I just cannot seem to throw them back into the wild. I have read that the coin is worthless once the product is applied, but a date-less buff is only worth 5 cents, so what is the harm? Perhaps I am mistaken?

I have just now filled 3 books of clad Kennedy cameos from 1971-2009. Not sure why. Just did it.

Time to get the kids up to open presents. Then, a bit of metal detecting this afternoon.

HSH,
apush :read2:

I use it becasue the dateless bufaloes are the EARLY buffaloes. Before they changed how they made them to stop that problem. So I found a bunch of dates to fill holes in a buffalo album. Does it damage them? to some yes. But if they are so worn that they are dateless, they are damaged already.

And I've used it on about 80 buffs and have used less than a CM of liquid so far from the bottle. Can't ever see getting enough dateless buffs, even if I bought out a coin shop, to use even 1/3 of the bottle. :-)

go for it. And good luck detecting today.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
In my experience vinegar works far better bringing out the date, it just takes a few days to soak. I showed one to my dealer and he didn't see anything wrong with my 1917 buffalo.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
In my experience vinegar works far better bringing out the date, it just takes a few days to soak. I showed one to my dealer and he didn't see anything wrong with my 1917 buffalo.
I am not saying anything against the dealer, but sometimes dealers are inexperianced with coins. Even though they are coin dealers, they are in it to make $$$ by buying silver and gold. Not necessarily grading coins.

Anyway, nice on the 1917 buffalo :D

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Apush!
Go for it. Why not. Find a little history in those dates.
Then you can pass them on to the grandchildren.
All the best
rileyboy

Greg613

Greenie
Jun 20, 2008
Atlanta
I also looked into this a while back and one thing that I read was that after a while the date disappears again. Have you all found this to be true?

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I also looked into this a while back and one thing that I read was that after a while the date disappears again. Have you all found this to be true?

Since it is just a weak acid solution (ferric chloride) it might not be a bad idea to soak the coins in a solution of baking soda and water after 'restoring' the date to neutralize the acid. Just thinking out loud here, never tried it myself.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
That Canadian Guy said:

I agree. I use vinegar and salt with a few drops of nic-a-date to boost in a baby food jar. Works great, and doesnt leave a blue spot on the coin. Turned a few dateless coins were 1914S

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Go for it! If they have mint marks all the better. I ran all my dateless through the vinegar solution method and filled some slots in my circulation buffalo book. I didn't have any rarities in my batch. I spent the ones that were doubles. They are fun to spend and see if anyone notices....no one did. :BangHead:

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread