Nice 1852 Silver 3¢ Piece at the Second Cellar Hole

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
If any wish to find out more about this little star coin :icon_scratch: minted between 1851 to 1873 in total of 42,728,340 then feel free to contact me for more information. It has a most interesting history to discover :read2:.

I found the below excerpt linked with photograph in the forum.

Detecting In Deed, By: Lance W. Comfort
As Seen In Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine
http://www.treasurenet.com/cgi-bin/treasure/westeast/feature.pl/Show?_id=200810

"One item I found was a nice 1852 silver 3¢ piece at the second cellar hole, and we dug many buttons, buckles, and other items in both locations. An old pewter school bell and mid 1800s clock face were found on the original homestead grounds.

Rick soon had to return to California, and we were both a bit saddened that we were not able to find something that we could definitely attribute to Israel. Within a few days of his return, Rick started to send me more information he had found on Israel and his family. The picture was becoming a bit clearer.

Israel had been born in April of 1743 in Durham, New Hampshire, where he met and married Sally Chesley. They moved to the wilderness that was to become our town some time prior to the Revolutionary War, when there was almost no one but native Americans living in our area of the country. It must have been a terribly hard life, which certainly shows Israel's character. They also seem to have been a very religious family, as indicated by the biblical names of their children and the fact that the family donated land for two of the earlier churches in our town. A brother of Israel who stayed in Durham was also a minister."

Gary

Attachments

• American 24Stars.jpg
    American 24Stars.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 444
OP
OP
KGC4Dixie

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
SWR said:
Not sure what this has to do with the Knights of the Golden Circle...but, weren't most stars six-pointed on US coins? :read2:

A deeper look could lead to real clues of past KGC symbolism which is not always clear to all but the one thing I've discovered is that clues come from the strangest of places.

While six-pointed stars were used on American coins (of common circulation) ending with the 1921 silver dollar, five-pointed ones only began appearing in the early 1900s. When founder George W. L. Bickley was caught by federal forces he had on his possession one Liberty penny :icon_thumleft: and two five-pointed :icon_scratch: "general's stars" is what can be read. With time more is to be rediscovered...

Could he have been down to his last cent?

Gary

OP
OP
KGC4Dixie

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
A deeper look? Do you mean create a story to to fit an agenda?

All circumstances are born of prior agenda from law to history but his possessions meant as much to him as anyone's. There must have been a reason for the two stars he held onto but in combination with other items(???) such remains to one day be revealed to the diligent researcher.

Gary

OP
OP
KGC4Dixie

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Bickley believed himself to be a General, hence the stars.

SWR,

I suppose then he might also promote himself to higher rank later :dontknow:?

Gary

OP
OP
KGC4Dixie

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
SWR,

Imagine the villainous talk :read2: of George Washington had he lost.

Fish and chips ::) anyone?

Gary

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
KGC4Dixie said:
SWR said:
Not sure what this has to do with the Knights of the Golden Circle...but, weren't most stars six-pointed on US coins? :read2:

A deeper look could lead to real clues of past KGC symbolism which is not always clear to all but the one thing I've discovered is that clues come from the strangest of places.

While six-pointed stars were used on American coins up to the 1921 silver dollar, five-pointed ones only began appearing in the early 1900s. When founder George W. L. Bickley was caught by federal forces he had on his possession one Liberty penny :icon_thumleft: and two five-pointed :icon_scratch: "general's stars" is what can be read. With time more is to be rediscovered...

Could he have been down to his last cent?

Gary

A deeper look? Do you mean create a story to to fit an agenda?

Bickley was also in possession of a small packet of red dust. Now that would be a great item to twist/spin into a treasure hunt!

SWR, funny you mentioned Bickley was in possession of a small packet of "red dust"! For "markers" in my area, I have found that ever who laid this area out, instead of using normal metal markers (horseshoes, plow parts, etc.) used red rocks with iron ore in them! I even found one that was "heart shaped" along the trail. There were a series of three "dug spots", forming a triangle, near this tree with a very old Confederate Flag carved on it. I ran my detector over these three "dug spots" and only received a metal (iron) hit at the one directly above the tree with the carving. I dug down about six inches and found the red heart rock (which, according to my metal detector, contains iron ore). I got another hit, after removing the heart rock and dug down about 18 more inches to 2 ft. There was a rather large pile of these red rocks at this distance below the heart rock - all containing iron ore.

Also, at other places in my area, it seems these red rocks were used to replace metal markers that should have been there - most being found in the center of "dug spots" or other places one should dig for clues, according to other signs.

Sorry to let you down SWR - I think you were wanting some "conspiracy theorist" to claim the red powder found on Bickley was made using the Philosopher's Stone and used to turn lead into gold or prolong life. ;D

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bickley has been credited with founding the KGC in 1854. Those who know the history of the KGC know that the Knights of the Golden Circle had their own army before the Confederacy had one.

Source: "Blood & Treasure - Confederate Empire in the Southwest" by Donald S. Frazier, Texas A&M University Press, College Station, 1995.

~Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR, it is clear that only a very few "know" the history of the KGC. Please only reply to my messages once you have finished reading my sources.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
KGC4Dixie

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
You'd have to ask him that yourself. Here is a delightful story about what the good ole boys in Atlanta thought about General Bickley: History of Atlanta, Georgia
http://books.google.com/books?id=IpgO3_...age&q=general bickley&f=false

SWR,

Did go back and read the posting again showing "General" Bickley and nicely proven that he went by that title and thus the stars. The five-pointed issues is still up for grabs.

I've determined that six-pointed stars never ceased to be used to this day on U.S. gold mintage except for coins tied to Federal Reserve Notes in common circulation.

If there is a five-pointed star connection between Gen. George Washington Bickley and his stars then I have not reasoned it as yet. Some may say, "nor shall I" but then to give in is to give up the search.

Gary

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• KGC0571860-1.gif
    KGC0571860-1.gif
    115.9 KB · Views: 370
OP
OP
KGC4Dixie

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
KGC4Dixie said:
You'd have to ask him that yourself. Here is a delightful story about what the good ole boys in Atlanta thought about General Bickley: History of Atlanta, Georgia
http://books.google.com/books?id=IpgO3_...age&q=general bickley&f=false

SWR, Did go back and read the posting again showing "General" Bickley and nicely proven that he went by that title and thus the stars. The five-pointed issues is still up for grabs. I've determined that six-pointed stars never ceased to be used to this day on U.S. gold mintage except for coins tied to Federal Reserve Notes in common circulation.

If there is a five-pointed star connection between Gen. George Washington Bickley and his stars then I have not reasoned it as yet. Some may say, "nor shall I" but then to give in is to give up the search.
Gary

Alright, I figured this one out. There had been a five-pointed star use for flags among the civilian population even when all federal flags used six-pointed ones up until the 1830s. Six points migrated off most U.S. military wear of uniform (except for horse blanket) as well.

It's still possible to find Confederate uniforms with a mix of ONE six- and TWO five-pointed stars (for colonels) but I suspect another answer is found in the number of KGC founders which was--five. Speculation, yes. My proof follows in that it was the nine-pointed badge on sash of the Freemasons which brought this to attention. There were supposed to have been nine founding the Knights Templars and then nine signers of the Declaration of Independence were Freemasons. This does seem to be a logical reasoning though only a five-pointed star is the most recognised American star of use in our time.

Gary (Disclaimer--I am not a Freemason.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions